700 big birds need big power

I was looking into purchasing some 12 batts for my goblin. I have a little question. It seems that it just two 6s batts in one wrapper, but I buy 6s 3300 mah batts right now for the 500. the 12 s pack is rated the same mah. I think I planning on running two 6s, so would that make it 6600 mah.

Tony

Staff member
If you need 12s, then you need to run them in series to get 12s. I can't remember what size your gobby is.

murankar

Staff member
You are going to run something in the 4500 to 5500 mah range in 12S or 14s your choice. If your going to run a Gobby 770ish then you will want 14s.

Smoggie

Is that the Goblin 700 that you are looking for batteries for?
Most people fly them on two x 6S 5000mAh. They are seperate batteries that you wire up in series, so that results in 12S 5000mAh. (when you wire in series voltage (cell count) increases but mAh stays the same). The Goblin 700 will of course fly with a range of batteries from about 4500mAh but personally I'd not go above 5000mAh due to weight. 3300mAh batteries aren't big enough for the 700, you could fly on them if you really wanted but you would be very tail heavy and have very short flight time.
14S is also an option but in that case you reduce mAh to keep weight down (two x 7S of about 4400mAh), but unless you are the hardest of hardcore 3D flyers you wouldn't notice the difference. For 14S you also need a low Kv 14S motor. You also need a charger that will do 7S.

You can get ready assembled 12S 'stick packs' but almost everyone simply uses two seperate 6S batteries. The stick packs are as you point out just two 6S batteries with a shrink cover pre applied.

For what it's worth the same batteries (6S 5000mAh) will work fine in the Goblin 770 too, that's exactly what i use in mine. The 770 is virtually the same weight as the 700 so doesnt need any more power.

Last edited:
You guys are again right on top of things with the answers I was looking for. I don't know how you guys deciphered my dribble but you did. I wasn't sure if the mah doubled when you ran the two 6s in series. I did happen to purchase 2 4500 6s lipo's but thought it would be easier with the stick packs. Did everyone notice that Castle is blowing out the vertigo motors for 50% off, maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it before I order the 700 class 490 kv. Any thoughts on that one?

Smoggie

The Vertigo motor's are supposed to be real powerhouses. They are apparently the same motor under the skin as the KDE range.

The only thing to be aware of is that they are very tall motors (about 75mm tall for the 700 size). With the Goblin to fit it in you have to cut out a hole in the canopy for the top of the motor to stick out. The maximum height that you can accommodate inside the canopy is 64mm

Ok smoggie, one more question. I had intended to order both the Talon HV 120 and the vertigo. I have an Ikon FBL controller and run a DX8.I'm not sure I want the motor sticking out of the hood, but for only $165 I don't think I should pass it up. I bought the heli used and have gone through it completely. It came with an align motor in it. Any tips or suggestions?

Smoggie

Sounds good, the top of the motor sticking out is just an aesthetic issue, some like the look, personally it's not for me but the motor itself is supposed to be a beast. I'm running a Scorpion in one of my Goblins and a Kontronik in the other. If you do want to keep the motor inside the canopy the Scorpion 4525 520Kv 'Ultimate' is worth looking at, this is a popular choice for the Goblin 700 and not too badly priced.

As for the ESC.. 120A rating will be fine for all but hardcore 3D flying and for the price its hard to beat. You might consider the new Hobbywing 130A HV V4. This has a few advantages over the castle, not least 'active freewheeling' which makes the ESC a lot more efficient and cooler running at part throttle operation. It will also take 14S (castle is 12S max). It's quite a bit more expensive but if you use the discount code 'RCHELINATION' it brings it down to $240 which is very good considering the quality of the ESC.

murankar

Staff member
Definitely go with the hobbywing. Scorpion is the popular choice for these kits but Quantum I think ended up being the recommended motor by SAB. Since you considered Kontronic look at Xnova also. Both of those motor brands can be pricey but are worth the cost in the end. Mind you unless your killing it in the air you wont see the advantages of either of those two motors.

Smoggie

The SAB manual is actually pretty good when it comes to guidance on motors, ESC's and batteries (page 21):
02-08-2016 12-41-54.jpg

One important thing to watch for is motors shaft length. the Goblin 700 needs a 34mm long shaft, 6mm diameter. You can also use an 8mm shaft with a suitable pulley but you wont be able to use the outer shaft support bearing (you don't need it with the 8mm shaft anyway). Longer shafts are ok if you are happy to cut them to length.

02-08-2016 12-41-54.jpg

Every day is like Christmas here at RC Help. Everyone keeps giving me these wonderful presents of info. Thx a bunch. Sorry I didn't get you anything. I actually just started inverted flight and flips, so smack 3D isn't going to happen any time soon. I will check into the hobbywing ESC.

smoggie, were do you suggest I order the esc to get that discount. I normally order from helidirect, but as luck would have it they are out of stock

ok, I was looking into the hobbywing ESC. There are two versions, one with a bec and the other is an opto version. If I already have a new castle pro bec could I get away with the OPTO version. I do have the GOV in my IKON so I don't think that would be a benefit either. And where do you guys recommend purchasing parts from. I usually use Helidirect or Enterprise hobby ( Align Trex store).

- - - Updated - - -

oops, sorry didn't read first.

Smoggie

Personally I'd go with the version with the internal BEC. It's a very powerful BEC (more power than the Castle BEC Pro) and having the internal BEC tidies up the wiring no end. The BEC pro will come in for another project I'm sure.

I'm running two of the 160A versions on my Goblin 770 and Agile 7.2, they are fantastic ESC's. For simplicity I use the governor in the ESC even though my Vbars have their own govnor. The Hobywing governor is superb, very smooth.

PS.. You will need the Hobbywing programming box too, you cant program the ESC without it.

Last edited:

Smoggie

Yeah, I think that's a good deal. The Hobbywing V4 ESC's are the best around. They match the Kontonik on spec but at a fraction of the price.

Top Bottom