1. If you would like to get rid of these banners and the ads within the posts, all you have to do is sign up and they will go away!
  2. Welcome to Rc-Help, are you here looking for the PDF Plans? They are located in the store in the tab above, but you must be signed in to access that part of the site. It only takes a second to sign up!
  3. Like Us On Facebook!
    Hello Guest, it occurred to us during that last server failure that we had no way of informing the members of the site of the failure and I would like to invite you to like us on facebook so that you can get updates if the site happens to go down again. We don't post much over there unless we are updating the members so we will not flood your feed like some places do. Just click on Like and then allow notifications and that's it. See you there soon!

Click Here To Rc-Help's Facebook page!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Hey Guest, I see you are not signed up on our forum yet. Did you know Registration is FREE and is only a couple clicks away? You can even sign in from Facebook, Twitter or Google+ for your convenience! So what are you waiting for, CLICK HERE to join in on the conversation!

Quad Beta Flight Used To Work Now Says"failed To Connect To Serial Port"

Discussion in 'Multi-Rotor' started by Andrew Heitmann, Jan 14, 2019.

< Blade Torrent 110 to DX6I help!! | Immersion Rc Vortex 250 Pro Bleeping. >
  1. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    Hello. I recently built my first quad and everything went great until I got to Betaflight. When I first plugged my drone in it connected fine and I edited some stuff using a guide. Despite using a guide, for some reason nothing was responding on the receiver tab. I'm using the FS-I6 transmitter and the FS-IA6B receiver. After some research I thought I would try I-Bus instead of PPM. I had to edit some stuff in the configuration tab and I'm pretty sure I bricked the FC, because now it wont connect. I'm not an experienced hobbyist so i'm not sure what to do. Also I don't have a lot of money so I'm using a Banggood flight board(Racerstar StarF4S 30A Blheli_S Dshot 4 in 1 ESC AIO F4 OSD Flight Controller w/ BEC Current Sensor).
    I heard re-flashing the board will fix it, but can I if it cant connect? And what board do I select? I'm pretty lost right now so I hope someone has an answer.

2. Tony

Tony Administrator Staff Member

Blog Posts:
    It sounds like you turned off the USB UART which is required to get a connection from USB to the computer. If you turned this off, the only way to turn it back on is to go into bootloader mode and reflash with full chip erase. To do this, hold down the boot button on the board when you connect it to the USB cable. You should see it in betaflight and you should be able to put a fresh firmware on it. Just make sure to select Full Chip Erase so it sends everything back to default.

3. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    Okay, thanks. I'll try that. Can Betaflight automatically tell what board it is?

4. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    I just tried it and it still says failed to open serial port

5. Tony

Blog Posts:
    On the home page of betaflight, there are two or three links to drivers. Do you have all of those drivers installed? If so, try deleting them from your computer and reinstalling them. Also, try a different USB cable.

6. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    I already downloaded them.
    How do I delete them?

7. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    Under device manager theirs no VCP tab. I have windows 10. (Sorry if my questions are dumb xD)

8. Tony

Blog Posts:
    No worries Andrew, there are no dumb questions, just those that are not asked.

Click on your start menu and type in Control. Once you start typing that in you will see Control Panel at the top. Select it. That will open up the Control Panel and in that window you will see Add Remove Programs. Click on that. In there look for anything that says CP210x and remove it. It may also say Silicon Laboratories on it or next to it. If you don't see any of those in there, then it is not installed.

Once you are done uninstalling them, grab a fresh download from the betaflight page and install them again.

You had said there are no VCP's in your DM so I skipped that part, but if you can find them in there, uninstall those as well.

And again, try a different USB cable. They do go bad every now and then. Rare, but it happens.

9. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    I found a guide and for zadig you have to select boot loader under all devices but it doesn't show up for me. It also doesn't make a noise when I plug it in in boot loader.

10. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    Also I just reset my computer instead so all the other drivers are fresh

11. Tony

Blog Posts:
    Have you tried another USB cable? If so, try another flight controller if you have one. This is starting to sound like a bricked FC though. Not going into BL is not a good sign...

12. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    Yes... I have :(
    So RIP the FC is done?

13. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    When I connect it normally the LED blinks but it doesn't connect

14. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    Oh wait I tried a different cable thats kinda broken so it only works in certain positions and I was able to update the driver

15. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    Ok ok. Completely ignore what I said before. So I got it connected on Betaflight as DFU how do I know what board to pick

16. Tony

Blog Posts:
    Can you post a link to the board that you have? That will help me in knowing what board to select in betaflight. Sometimes they name them really weird.

17. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    I got it. Lucked out and found it on YouTube. Now this brings me to my original problem. The receiver tab isn't responding. I'm using PPM with a FS-i6 transmitter and FS-iA6B receiver. It is connect to the transmitter.

18. Tony

Blog Posts:
    This part is out of my realm. I have never done anything with PPM or the Tx/Rx you are using. I will try to keep this at the top of the forum so that someone can help out. Glad you didn't brick it though.

19. Andrew Heitmann

Andrew Heitmann Member

Blog Posts:
    Lol thanks. And thanks so much for the help man, your a life saver. :)

20. Tony

Blog Posts:
    You did it all on this one. None of my suggestions worked lmao. Great job! Now we just need to get the next issue solved so you can get us some flight video :chuckles:

< Blade Torrent 110 to DX6I help!! | Immersion Rc Vortex 250 Pro Bleeping. >