General Best transmitter for heli

Looking to get a new radio. I love to fly helis and also fly some fixed wing. curious about the Mikado. If you own one, what's the plus and the minus. Or if there is something better for $800 or less, post it up and don't forget to sat why.

trainrider06

I'd do the DX9, or maybe the 18 since you'll be flying planes. Just depends on your radio savvy really. Your support system for help with problems may not be as good as say Spectrum/Futaba radios. Those are pretty broad based concerning support, reciever compatible and so on. You'll be limited somewhat with Mikado, or spending more money using their particular products.
Not sure of their compatibility with the rest of the reciever world. I hear they have some pretty cool functions though with their systems..

Smoggie

If you want to fly planes then the Mikado V control Tx is a VERY expensive option. The only receiver available is the Neo flybarless controller and while you can get an upgrade that gives the Neo airplane functionality you are looking at something approaching $300 just for the receiver!

Spektrum DX8 G2, DX9 or DX18 G2 are all options in your price range and are good transmitters with good technical support and a huge user base. The Tx I've got my eye on and would probably go for if I was starting from scratch is the new FrSky Horus X12D.. it's arguably the most technically advanced Tx available today but comes at something of a bargain price compared to anything else approaching a similar spec.

Derek

I've had my DX8 Gen 1 for a bit over 3 years and I've never had a problem with it. I'd love to upgrade to the DX9 Gen 2 because of the wireless buddy system but there's nothing wrong with my DX8, lol. I've been using Spektrum gear since I started with flying rc's, about 5 years ago. There are reports of people having brown outs with Spektrum so they switch to Futaba. I can't give any personal opinions on Futaba because I've never used one but I know of many people that use Futaba and love that brand.

From my experiences with flying rc planes (store bought and scratch built), rc helicopters, and a few multirotors, my DX8 has been great. I like the comfortable feel that it has in my hands. The gimbals are smooth....it just works.

Tony

Staff member
I fly the DX9 Black Edition and love it. Does everything I need it to do. URI has the Mikado Tx and when he gets on here he can chime in.

Admiral

I fly Helicopters, Quads & Fixed wing with a DX9 and love it, price is good, technically I find is great, love the voice feature and they have great support.
I'm sure there is better out there for a price, but for the average Joe I find Spektrum gives great economical flying.

mooserider

If it's worth anything, Spektrum is great, like others said. I have an old spektrum I use for everything. I had to flip the retention bars for use with helis, but it's great. Use to ue Futaba, but had so many issues with them in the 90s I quite.

hello guys and thank you for the responses. I so happened to walk into a hobby store and they were having a sale. 20% off he said, well that had me right there. lol , I said wrap up that DX8 G2. Walked out with it for $239.99. I do plan on getting that Mikado tho.

Admiral

Good choice, there's a bit of a learning curve but this forum and Youtube will solve your issues.

trainrider06

Well congrats on the radio purchase! That aughta be a good one for ya!
I just saw some one selling one of those radios for $500.00! The Mikado radio that is...

murankar

Staff member
I have a vcontrol and a DX6. I love my Vcontrol for its integration stuff. Yes it sucks to pay for features but I think its worth it.

As for the best radio, I hate these questions fr sure. Its hard to say whats going to be the best for you. Only you can figure that out. All we can do is tell you what radios do what and what features the have. Then you have to figure it out. Hell I could say just get a Graupner MZ24 becasue its the best. Then you get stuck with a radio that no one on here knows about. Now your stuck with a radio with no support so was it really the best? Maybe even look at Jetti that thing is the bomb also. Guess what, you have to pay for features on the radio so is that radio the best?

If you go with a DX8 DX9 you cant go wrong. Lots people on here use those radios so getting support will be easy. The programming is intuitive and easy to figure out. Most club pilots will be on these radios. I would not call these the best radios but then again they don't suite what I want.

If you can afford the Vcontrol radio and Neo then get the UI sensor for your larger airframes. You will have more info than you can handle in telemitry. It has a battery log book, programmable battery degradation, plus all your battery info along with headspeed. Pair this setup with a hobbywing V3 or V4 and your golden.

Last edited:

sneezy007

I've had a DX8 Gen 1 for 3 years and have had no problems with it. I would also like to upgrade to the DX9 or DX18 for the wireless feature.

Cheers,
Dino

Top Bottom