Best Potato Harvest Ever.

Tony

Staff member
We don't have a large garden. It's only about 40'x100' if that. This year, we decided to only do 3 rows of potatoes, and only two varieties, Red Skin and Yukon Gold. Well, after weighing out all of the potatoes we harvested yesterday (yes, all 3 rows), we had 75lbs of Red Skin and 75lbs of Yukon Gold.

And let me tell you, when you have to harvest potatoes by hand (sort of...), you know you just picked 150lbs of potatoes. And for you metric guys, that is about 68kg.

When I say "sort of", we use the tractor with what is called a Middle Buster to do the initial dig rather than using a shovel per plant. Just run the tractor down the row, then go back and hand sort through the soil and pick them out.

I think next year, since we did pretty well this year, we are going to do 3 varieties to include Russet's as well. Need some bakers... lol. We are still looking for more seed potatoes for this year though. Thinking about planting again so we have enough to survive the winter with.

bigone5500

I remember doing that when I was little. Once my dad and I picked sweet potatoes. Man those things are good. I remembet taking one to the water hose, wash it off and eat it like an apple.

Them was the good ole days...

Top Bottom