450 Best method to switch to Idle-up mode?

stevebtx12

What do you guys recommend for switching to idle-up mode? For other heli's I've just switched while still on the ground at almost 50% throttle, and haven't had any bad reactions. I want to get recommendations on this before I try it on my newly built Align 450 Pro DFC, I don't want to have it flip over and do the dying chicken dance on the ground :ambivalence:.

thanks

Derek

Honestly, I think it's going to depend on your setup and your preference. If you are planning on going to IU at 50% stick, then your 50% settings should be identical, or really close so that you don't get any sudden changes. I've seen a lot of heli pilots go to IU while still on the ground, but also seen many heli pilots go to IU once in the air.

I had a semi-scary moment when going to IU while still on the ground, about a year ago, with a small heli that I no longer have. Ever since flying IU with my Trex 500, I go to IU once I'm in the air. It's just my preference. Because I know what my settings are, I'm sure that I could go to IU while still on the ground, I just prefer to be in the air.

Either way...no one likes the dying chicken dance on the ground....

stokke

I do it while in the air. Just remember to get your pitch curves identical above mid stick.

flysolo

I don't use a "normal" curve at all on my 450 anymore so it's always on the ground. Th = 0, everything else flat(or v). All 0-100 pitch

Tony

Staff member
Either I start out in IU1 (on the ground while spooling up, using the TH switch to activate the throttle) or I do it when in the air after I know it's flying correctly. For a new bird, I would use the latter.

pvolcko

I usually flip in the air, but it probably doesn't matter. Once I start doing rocket lift offs I'll be using IU for spin up. :)

stevebtx12

Thanks for the replies, I'll make sure my settings are the same between normal and idle-up at mid stick and do it in the air.

Derek

Here's another thought....for those heli pilots that are experienced, being on the ground or in the air probably doesn't matter. For people that are relatively new to IU, I'm thinking it's better to flip to IU while in the air because you would have more time to react to the heli's movements. If you are on the ground, and maybe your settings aren't quite right.....the possibility for the chicken dance is imminent and there would be much less time to react before you have busted parts.

Just a thought..

Tony

Staff member
That is a great point Derek. Especially with the 3GX which doesn't like to be on the ground, flipping into IU can cause it to start to tip quite quickly. In the air, as long as your pitch curve is exactly the same, it should actually gain altitude due to the increased head speed.

flysolo

I think my align esc soft start will take throttle up to maybe ~70% even if stick input is lower. It felt like a nice nice head speed for take offs and landings so my normal is set at the same as the soft start max. I had some crashes when I started out because I lost to much head speed trying to land with lower throttle rather than nice collective. This works for me but I agree with what you are saying, I don't do id1 or id2 on the ground, i do that in the air.

murankar

Staff member
I have always been on the ground, but I am not on an fbl system yet. Plus my switch is in an awkward location and I have not trained myself to use it in flight yet.

Most of the time it will be a preference thing.

stevebtx12

That is a slight concern, I'll have to take my thumb briefly off the left stick to switch it, but I'm going to give it a try.

thanks for all the replies

Tony

Staff member
This is one reason why I took the time to train myself to pinch the sticks. It took me over two months to feel comfortable pinching (used to thumb them) the sticks, but once I did, my control was way above what I had before. Plus, I can flip the IU switch with my middle finger. There is a great analogy there, but I will let you guys use your imagination lol.

stevebtx12

Oh, a pincher....lol, I've been flying with thumbs for way to long to switch now, but after trying it, I'll be good to go, my hands are big enough I can reach the switch with my fore finger without having to take my thumb off.

Lee

As said above, get the pitch curves even at hover point so as not to let the bird drop or climb.
After setting this, test it with altitude. You can flip between the two quickly if somethings not right, and still have the time to recover if necessary.

Top Bottom