Votes: 23 45.1%
  • NAZA

Votes: 2 3.9%
  • AR7200BX

Votes: 18 35.3%
  • 3GX

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters
Take a look at the new Ikon2 gyros. They have them from small and cheap, to $200 with bluetooth already in them! Fantastic gyros and they just came out!

I went ahead and took the plunge and bought this new gyro since my new T-Rex 500 came in yesterday it looks so nice that it deserves the best. I'm now watching your video on YouTube and noticed that you're working with the software I have to assume that you're working with the transmitter and the software together to set this thing up? my question for you is, actually my first question for you is why not set the gyro up on the flight switch for Stunt 1 and stunt 2 instead of a separate switch?

I think i found out the answer to my own question. It looks like your flight/stunt modes are setup on that front switch "D"

Tony

Staff member
Be careful using my video for the Ikon2. I'm not sure how much different the setup is from my video.

And the reason I don't put the flight modes on the F switch is because I would like to have the option to select different flight modes and still have 3 head speeds. So if you think about it, I have 9 flight modes this way. Just something that I have always done. Never really liked it on the F switch. But that could just be me.

You're videos hav helped me tremendously. Thanks, first of all.

I have 4 nano cpxs, one Blade 230, Blade 450 (that is for sale) Trex 250, and now a Trex 500. Since im just getting back into helis, know orientations, ive been using the micros to learn to flip and roll. They are a handful but im progressing. My plans are to master the basic 3D moves, then move to the Blade 230 which has fail safe. Once im comfortable with that i will be using the Trex 250 to start more aggressive stunts. The 250 has a 3GX in it and im going to put the beast x in it. I just know that gyro. When the 500 arrived yesterday it was intimidating to look at. I wish you guys were closer to help a brotha out. Im also has the 3GX in it but i just bought the IKON2. It looks like i can just unbolt the gyro mount instead of splitting the frame. Does that sound right?

Are the bigger helis that much more enjoyable, stable, and easier to fly then the micros?

Sweetfrost

I have iKON and a Align 3GX .. and i must say that the iKON is lightyears ahead. My 450L flies really okay with the 3GX but far from the iKON. My experience with the wizard setup on the iKON PC software is very very good - my heli (Trex 600E PRo) was rocksolid just by jusing the wizard. And i cant even get the 3GX anyway near as good.

Soon i will have a go on the Bavarian Demon 3X (on my R22)- this is the version without any fancy stuff like self-level and rescue but im pretty excited to get into it. Would be cool if there was a good guide in english for this system on RCH.

holtneil

Hi mate look at the Spirit Pro this has self levelling recovery bail out soon to have GPS as well its half the price but just as good I use one on my Goblin 630 comp and I know Smoggy has then as well even Rodney tried it and loves it

Sweetfrost

Hi mate look at the Spirit Pro this has self levelling recovery bail out soon to have GPS as well its half the price but just as good I use one on my Goblin 630 comp and I know Smoggy has then as well even Rodney tried it and loves it

Hi there Holtneil.

I have just bin surfing around to check out the Spirit and Spirit Pro flybarless controllers and they look quite nice and people seem very happy with it. Good thing is that it support 4 servos for swash - many scale helis use this including my R22. And as you wrote - the price is at a level that is hard to beat.

Maybe my 550 will get equipped with this fine devise - it sure needs a better one than the 3GX.

thanks

holtneil

The Spirit pro has a setting just for scale heli flying , I would trust the Spirit gyro with any costly heli build I know my Goblin is no way as pricey as your R22 but another good thing is the gyro will take 3 power inputs I use all 3, 2 from the receiver pack the other is from the octi-guard power back up system so in an all out power fail the back up will keep the servos and gyro working so I can land it , and I have had to use it twice when I had a bad power leads from the receiver pack so it saved my heli so worth having for £40

holtneil

Also with 2.4 they are doing telemetry
Spirit Systems has been working hard on some significant additions to their flagship gyro. In version 2.3 they provided capabilities to accept data from major ESC manufactures. It also gave you vibration analysis, a new governor and a list of other software enhancements.

They have a new update on the way, v2.4 due in the next week, that opens the door to all the major ESC manufactures that have the capability of providing telemetry and critical data. It allows you to capture logs and display the data directly on your transmitter with the current manufacturers listed below, but not limited to as they plan to integrate compatibility with other manufacturers. The goal for Spirit Systems is to have a complete cost effective gyro system that is truly plug and play. The Spirit Systems 2.4 update will soon be available to the public for the μSpirit, Spirit and the Spirit Pro.

Supported transmitters that currently display telemetry data.

• JETI Duplex
  • FrSky Taranis, Horus / OpenTX
  • Graupner HoTT

These manufacturers can provide Voltage, Current, Temperature, Capacity, and BEC voltage. RPM readout was already available with version 2.3.

• Castle Creations Phoenix Edge & Talon
  • HobbyWing V4
  • Scorpion Tribunus
  • Kontronik KOSMIK & JIVE PRO

As they approach the release date Spirit will provide step by step instalation, connection and interfacing instructions from the Spirit Wiki page HERE.

For more information about the Spirit Systems stabilization system click here.

Westy

LEGEND
I contacted the BD team the other day and they have fixed the glitching issue with Spektrum Sats and the controller. I am running an AR 7700 with built n sat plug for diversity ... His comments were, "If I had known Spektrum were developing the AR7700, i would have never added the Sat Ports on the Bavarian Demaon Controller units" - He recommends usinga receiver with Sat diversity .... here is a copy of his email below.

On Mon, May 8, 2017 at 9:54 PM, Info - bavarianDEMON <bd.info@captron.com> wrote:

Hi Shane,

We fixed the internal glitch issue, which we could reproduce and eliminate.
Thus, there is still other options with sats why glitches can occur, that we have no influence on.
I will at all times recommend to use a main Rx, and with the 7700 you will be more than happy and prepared as a pro. Sats are not developed for stand-alone use, and honestly, if I had known about the 7700 development in time, I would have not implemented sat plugs into the new systems at all.

Regards,

Joachim

i.V. Joachim Eulefeld

Sales & Product Manager

Smoggie

The BD certainly used to have terrible trouble with direct connected Spektrum sats. A flying buddy used to experience regular brown-outs with sats connected to his BD 3SX, this was before the problem was acknowledged by BD. We tried everything, new ESC, new BEC, capacitors, you name it. He sold the heli in frustration in the end.

Sats work well enough with other FBL controllers so its a bit of a cop-out to blame the sats IMHO.

Powerdyne

I am going to toss my $0.02 in here since I haven't seen much mention of it.

Spartan Vortex.

I've been flying this FBL unit exclusively for three years now.

Very easy to set up, a little more advanced to tune it, but well worth the effort when you get them locked in. It has one of the best FBL based governors on the planet, and the price tag is very nice for the VX1E.

The only drawback is that you must use satellites only when using Spektrum systems if you want to use the governor. However, the Vortex has a built in throttle fail safe for this, and has two Satellite Rx ports built into it.

VX1, and VX1N are discontinued, but can be found online in the used market easily. The VX1 has onboard vibration analysis and storage memory for vibration logs (very handy). Both of these require the use of a dataod to use them with the Studio software or to connect them to USB for updates.

The VX1E (Current standard unit from Spartan) has a built in USB port, but sacrifices Vibration analysis features, and has the standard sensor ICs that every other FBL unit has on the market. VX1 and VX1N have higher quality sensors.

Angelos is working on the VX2 right now as the predecessor, and this will have many of the features such as Bailout/Rescue and telemetry (not solid on telemetry yet, but it was mentioned)

All Spartan Vortex units do have the capability of Jeti integration, and can be programmed through a DS-14 Tx or higher. This is a good feature to have as it eliminates the need for the datapod or studio software completely, as setup and adjustment can be done from the Jeti Tx at any time.

I know this thread is an older thread, but I wanted to give my opinion on what I consider to be the most user friendly FBL unit out there.

Hungomez

Hi.
I have vortex on my Goblin 700 very happy with it , I was watching YouTube, how to setup. Finally got it. I was feel something not right, so did some changes. It was ok. Now I still feel, not fast enough on flipping, and rolling. Will try again.
BUT I got a goblin 380 and bought a brain 2 bt. I find some videos on YouTube, but I didn't really watched, so started on the computer. Everything is easy, clearly explained, finished.
1 st flying, amazing. 2nd like usually getting harder and harder, but the 380 far smaller than a 700. Mistake, I was letting go so far away and couldn't see properly. Lost control, emergency...hit the rescue! Wow.. it's did it quite fast and I haven't even tested! I just going out now for a 5. flights. Using flight modes and everything fantastic!
So I need to try on the 700 as well before I say, is definitely better than anything else.
Can't say nothing wrong about it!!!
Spartan still not on 100 %.

Smoggie

The Spartan Vortex used to enjoy a very loyal following. I think in the last couple of years their popularity has waned a bit because all the other top brands have added self level and rescue to their capabilities and the Spartan is lagging behind. It will be interesting to see if Spartan can get back to where they were once they bring out the VX2? It's a super competitive market at the moment.

vyrnguy

The Spirit pro has a setting just for scale heli flying , I would trust the Spirit gyro with any costly heli build I know my Goblin is no way as pricey as your R22 but another good thing is the gyro will take 3 power inputs I use all 3, 2 from the receiver pack the other is from the octi-guard power back up system so in an all out power fail the back up will keep the servos and gyro working so I can land it , and I have had to use it twice when I had a bad power leads from the receiver pack so it saved my heli so worth having for £40

The Spirit Gyro seems like great contender to be the best, might give it a try as my next gyro choice for next time.

holtneil

The Spirit gyro is fast becoming one of the best its a great gyro never had a problem even set up was easy

Dennis H

I will at all times recommend to use a main Rx, and with the 7700 you will be more than happy and prepared as a pro. Sats are not developed for stand-alone use, and honestly, if I had known about the 7700 development in time, I would have not implemented sat plugs into the new systems at all.

I was also told the above straight from Bavarian. I use a Futaba 7008 with the 3SX and I have no complaints. My radio: Futaba 14SG.

My only "issue" is I love the Skookum 720's. We all know they are on the way out as far as hobby use. I still love them. But everytime I read a thread, I HAVE NO IDEA which gyro to consider. Many are going to the Brain/IKON's.

I often wonder about the Wookong series. Are they still supported by DJI? I have never used one, but I like the available modes in the unit.

I have been told on a 1/4 Scale, a 3SX was hard to beat. I certainly want to make the right decesion on this bird as it's not easily replaced.

I would love to watch Tony's video's on the 3SX installation. If someone could direct me to the correct link, I would appreciate it.

One thing is fact, almost everyone is changing their Gryo's these days. IKON/Brain seems to be the most popular Gyro.

I am looking for input.

I would also love to find a Gyro that would plug right up to the electronics on a Walkera 450. I love these Heli's for practice, their hard to beat for the price. Infact, out of the box I like the way they fly vs. the Trex's.

JMO, Dennis

Smoggie

I think Tony's video is the Align 3GX, not the Demon 3SX (VERY different units).

I'll go with Holtneil's recommendation for the Spirit Pro, what sets it aside more than anything is the rate that the developers at Spirit are adding new features.

Top Bottom