Batteries Best Connectors

Eggy 71

I'm getting ready to finish off the wiring on my new 700x. I'm throwing it out there for opinions on which connectors to go with. I'm running with deans plugs on the 550. I have 3 x 5000 mah batteries for it but they are getting older and one has homemade soldering connection from a previous owner that I've been meaning to redo. I 'm going to order a couple new batteries for the 700x and see most are coming with either xt90 or ec5 connectors. Are deans plugs on their way out? It wouldn't be to hard to convert the old batteries to a new connector especially as I need to finish the ESC and make a series connector for the 700x. I'd love to hear of our experts experiences of both good and bad.

Tony

Staff member
I absolutely love Deans plugs and use them on almost everything. But with time, things change and it seems the world is going to other plugs. It really depends on what you want though. Bullet style connectors are way more popular, provide a better connection and are easier to get apart than Deans. Not to mention are easier to solder as well without having to be too careful about heat since you solder the EC models with the bullet only, and the XT's are more resistant to heat.

Pro's & Cons in my eyes...

Deans Pro's
  • Tried and true. They have proven themselves over many years and are a great all around plug that is easy to find.
  • Very small footprint. Smaller than the other plugs out there.

Deans Cons
  • Very small footprint, could be hard to get ahold of to disconnect
  • Quite difficult to solder without melting the plastic, especially if they are knock-off's.
  • Have to use heat shrink on the connections.
  • Less than half of the wire is actually contacting the pin, the rest is just solder

XT Pro's (60's, 90's, all of them)
  • Easy to solder
  • look great
  • easy to get ahole of to disconnect
  • make a good connection
  • Only half the barrel wraps around the wire making for easier soldering

XT Con's
  • Can still melt the plastic while soldering
  • Have to use heat shrink on the connections
  • Only half of the barrel wraps around the wire making for a slightly weaker connection

EC Pro's (3's, 5's, All of them)
  • Can be soldered wtihout the plastic in the picture. No melted plastic.
  • The entire wire goes into the bullet connector
  • Simple push to install, no screws required
  • No Heat Shrink Required

EC Con's
  • Very hard to get back apart
  • Some go in from the front, some from the back, and there is no way to tell which way it is unless you built them and marked them
  • Plastic feels very flimsy and cheap

Hope this helps.

RandyDSok

A lot of differences between Deans, XT's and EC's are more subjective than which is better or not... I'd use Deans, XT60's, or EC3's for anything up to 40-60 amps.... and XT90's or EC5's for anything needing more amperages up to 100a.

Just remember to use the smaller ones when weight it going to be more of an issue.

Tony

Staff member
I used Deans on a 600 on 6s before lol. Never had an issue, but it is more power than they are rated for.

RandyDSok

I used Deans on a 600 on 6s before lol. Never had an issue, but it is more power than they are rated for.

Actually... Deans never rated them.... but a lot of folks debate what their rating should be. I know of folks using them up to a 100a, I just don't exceed 60a for my own piece of mind.

Tony

Staff member
Agreed. With all of this said though, I think I'm going to change all of mine over to XT60's. They feel of better quality than the EC's and even though I have to use heat shrink on them, I like them. Easy to get apart and best of all most batteries are coming with them now.

Eggy 71

Thanks guys, I'm thinking of Xt 90s as it seems most batteries are putting them on the larger mah. I think I'll put bullet connectors on the old batteries and then lead into the Xt90 so there is little chance of a short when soldering. What size bullets for 10 ga wire?

Tony

Staff member
You can get them in 4mm bullets, but it's a pretty tight fit. But can be done. I just did it lol.

Geena

Staff member
For 600 and 700 electric helicopters, I prefer XT-150s. They`re 6mm bullets, that can handle up to 250A. You can use them as single bullet connectors, or you can lock the housings together and apply a drop of CA, to use them as an EC style connector. They`re easy to solder, and the housings snap on after soldering. They are also easy to plug in and pull apart.

20180707_163217.jpg 20180707_163226.jpg

Geena

Staff member
If I put deans on a 600, I`d be autoing on the Scorpion backup guard within one minute into the flight....after I melted the solder joints off the connectors...hahaha.

murankar

Staff member
I use EC3 on my smaller stuff and on the goblin 570 i use RC Pro Plus: RCPROPLUS Pro-X5 Supra X Battery Connector (6 Sets) (10~12AWG) [RPPREB5810ASP6] | Cars & Trucks

I really love these connectors. Down side they cant be disassembled all that much. Deans have their place in the hobby. I love them on the bench while working on the heli. If I have a unintended spool up I can disconnect them real easy. Other than that I prefer the solid connection of bullet type connectors.

I did try the Castle Creations bullets and those didnt last to long on the goblin. To bulky on a 550/600 12S setup.

leedude1

I know the thread is old but I would love to have a little insight here people. (notice no tata reference made :thumbsup:)

Ok, so Ive picked up and have been working on the 700x airframe. Finally, I have all my electronics and have neatly stacked all the boxes on my workbench. Now ...connectors??? I have a Castle lite 160HV with 8 awg wire (and bec pro 20 ). All of my present 6s batteries for the 550 and the X5 are using EC5 connectors and I would love not to have to change them all. This would just allow me the possibility of using those batteries in a 12s setup on the 700X but it seems like a tight fit for the wires although possible. Thoughts?

I have seen supra X connector but man at the prices Im seeing for a set they better have warm hands and dance ( ok a tatas reference Gina, my bad) at 40$ a set plus shipping which i think is just ridiculous.

Then there are the Xt 150 at 5 sets for 10$USD (hobby king) which is actually pretty good from a price perspective , and there also the larger 6.5 castle connectors ( 7$USD a set) but again is it necessary to move up to those or can the EC5 do the trick... if i can use the EC5 then alls good. Im just perhaps concerned about the lack of bonding as the whole cavity is filled with the wire and leaves little to no room room for solder if that makes sense. If i go with a different connector I will either restrict myself to one set of batteries and forced to charge and fly...or change ALL my connectors on all packs and escs to maximize the packs that I have and ultimately allow me to interchange.

So thoughts, concerns and is anyone flying a castle lite 160 using Ec5's?

Tony

Staff member
EC5 should work just fine for that helicopter.

I have installed Supra connectors on a helicopter before and for what they are, they are not worth it. Way too over priced IMO.

We will get @Geena in here since she flies 700's and find out what connector she suggests.

Geena

Staff member
There are a lot of connectors that will be suitable for a 700. EC5, RC Pro Plus-S6, Castle makes a good connector. I use XT-150 connectors on my 700s, and I have never had an issue with them in the 5...ish years I have been using them. XT-150s are 6mm bullets, which can be attached together to make them work like an EC5 style commector. Plus they are relatively inexpensive, compared to a lot of the other brands. Last time I bought a bag of them, they were like $10 for a bag of five pairs from Hobby King.

murankar

Staff member
That's what I was going to say. Hobby king XT150s.

FYI there is no "best" anything in this hobby. If its affordable, works and gives desired end result then that's the best.

Tony

Staff member
The way I see it, you are already using EC5's, so might as well stick with them as long as the wire fits in the bullets. Just make sure to get enough heat into them to solder them in properly.

murankar

Staff member
If your charging set up is already geared for EC5 that would be the smart choice. If its not then explore your options.

Top Bottom