Projects Best Blades?

Ken Jackson

Couldn't find the right place for this so call it my blade project.

I am curious as to what some of you think are the better blades.

I have been flying with Mavrik Sport blades and really like them.

I'm looking at the following blades (all flybarless);

Edge

Revolution

Mavrik G5 Pro wide Cord

Curtis Youngblood 'Radix'

Opinions Please! Or any other blades I didn't list. High end blades only.

Anyone flown the 325mm KBDD blades??

Ken

- - - Updated - - -

Nothing wrong with Align 3G blades, just wanted something different!

cml001

RAIL!

- - - Updated - - -

I really just think it's preference tho... I liked the align too really.

murankar

Staff member
A lot of this will depend on your style of flying. Blades are designed for function and efficiency. I have had two sets of revolution blades and one set of the KBDD fbl blades. Since I do not fly hard to really see any differences I can tell you the KBDD were quieter than the Revolutions. Now The KBDD blades are a wide cord blade so they will act different the narrow cord blades.

I can't make any recommendations to you other than to get a couple you want to try and fly them back to back and see what works for you. Most the time you won't see much of a difference unless your killing the heli in the air. Sorry I could not be of much help but let us know what you decided on and why.

pvolcko

I'm no where near good enough to notice or appreciate the differences between blades. That said, what I fly and my non-assessments:

I fly the stock Revolutions on my 550X. I would not call them a high end blade. They are the 3G equiv for Horizon Hobby products. They are noisy (no matter what maneuver, short of FFF, they let you know they are there), but get the job done for me.

Fly Edge on my TRex 700, no complaints. Supposedly have better blade fart than other brands, but can't say I've noticed. Need to fly other blades in this size class to judge.

Radix V2 on the gob 700. Haven't flown it much yet since I got it right at the end of the season so only put a few flights on it in the back yard. Never got it out to the flying field to really open it up.

I have a set of spares for the 700s, Rails. Haven't flown them yet. I like the unique blade shape, though.

Sab blades on the gob 500. I haven't flown any others on this heli so it is hard to say if the blades are responsible for the laser like reactions of this heli or if it is just a trait of the heli itself, but this thing is by far the quickest reacting, precise heli in my fleet. I go get some odd "shudder" type sounds out of these blades on certain maneuvers (ele flips particularly). But, I also had the ele servo mounting screws back out on me a flight or two ago so it is possible the shuddering was due to the screws being loose. Need to put more flights on this one to see if it still happens.

others to consider:

Cyclones: Swept tip design. Look like Katana swords. :) Next set I buy will probably be these, just to try them out and the novelty of it.

Halo: Bobby Watts design and tested. He flies these now as far as I know. Don't know what makes them special compared to Edge or Radix.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Quite honestly, unless you fly like Bert Kammerer, I suspect the only thing you are going to notice different between those blades is the sound, and maybe a few mah difference when you charge your packs. They are all great blades, they are all balanced very well and they will all be rigid. My advice, if your pockets are deep enough, is to purchase a pair of each, and fly each, one right after another. Make sure the ONLY thing you are changing is the blades. Keep the same tightness on teh grips, keep the same starting voltage in your batteries and fly the same patterns. This is the only "TRUE" way to know the difference.

Top Bottom