Best Allen Drivers

Tony

Staff member
Okay guys, I want your opinion on this. I have got to get this engine apart and for that, I'm going to need some really strong Allen drivers with hardened tips. The size I need is a 2.5mm, but I also need the 3mm for other bolts on the heli. Most however are 2.5mm.

I'm really thinking about getting one of the Align multi tip tools. The one that has me really looking is the one where the tips store in teh handle. However, that one only has allen drivers whereas the one that doesn't have storage in the handle will come with a phillips driver as well.

What are you using? If you don't remember or didn't read my post, I shattered my good bolink driver on the head bolts of this engine. They are friggin tight, like really tight lol. I have never had a bolt that this driver couldn't get out until now. So, I'm looking for new drivers. Time to upgrade!

Tony

Staff member
This is the one that I"m really leaning towards.

hot00002_2.jpg

This is the next in line.

hot00003_1.jpg

And these are at the end of the list.

$(KGrHqJ,!jgFB-Zc(bydBQizdw,7hw~~60_12.JPG

hot00002_2.jpg

hot00003_1.jpg

$(KGrHqJ,!jgFB-Zc(bydBQizdw,7hw~~60_12.JPG

murankar

Staff member
I am not to savvy on the good brands. The only good brand I know is bohndus. Hope I spelled it right. Those could get expensive if your buying a full set.

stokke

I have that last set from Align - and I love them. I had an extra (random brand) 1.5mm that I ordered of eBay, broke same day I got it :( The Align ones however have survived two builds, and are still going strong.

heli-maniac

for super tight stuff i have a 2.5 and 3.mm 1/4 drive set from mac tools i have had some tight bolts that i have twisted the 3mm one but still got the bolt out
and i tell you what i got a set of RCX drivers that i use the snot out of the 1.5 and it has never striped a head yet were i have gone through 3 snap on 1.5 drivers

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I love the align ones. That's what I use....
ESP cause I can go to any lhs and get maverikks spares so if I break a tip and or strip it, directly replace it with the maverikks tips and they are a straight fit and 2 bucks doesn't hurt on replacement.

What I am disappointed with on both align and maverikks Allen drivers is the 3.5mm size ( if I am correct) .. The bolt size of main blade holders bolts...

Why? All aligns and maverikks that are a permanent tips are held by a 2mm hex set screw and tightening the blades on my 600 size birds multiple times has stripped and destroyed the hole where the hex sits and so now there is no hold.. But that's just on the 3.5mm size hex. I don't know may Be I should just drill another hole in there and put an actual screw to hold it there. But this happened to both align and maverikks :)

And somehow I have missed that post tony... Don't know how... I don't see it or can't find it. Please don't try to use hex screw drivers straight on this head. It will strip one or the other... I always always have to heat up the engine in an oven after removing the carb and all plastic/ Rubber parts. So do that and then try. They'll be hard still but much easier to take out. One of the guys here stripped 3 screws on that hyper head. They are so far deep that, that basically ruined his engine... See how much the hyper head heat shrink by itself costs. ;)
Fly safe!! :) have fun!

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Gaba, I have looked at the price of that head. Over a bill lmao. That is why I'm looking to get a good set of drivers even though NO ONE has stated what they suggest other than Stokke saying he has the last set. What set do you have Gaba?

And if you read the post, I heated that head up to about 300ºF and it still shattered my good 2.5mm driver. And it shattered the shank, not the tip. I think I'm going to remove the clutch, fan, carb, back plate and glow plug and stick it in my oven for a couple hours at 300º and see what comes of it then. I have to get this thing apart lmao. But I will have to order a new set of good drivers first.

heli-maniac

go to Home depo or lowes and get a set of the T handle one
if all else fails drill the heads off then they will come right out after there is no more pressure on them

wolfman76

This is the one i got from one of the Rc websites you Gave me Tony.

ForumRunner_20121204_225845.png

It has been rock solid for me all the time use it constantly

ForumRunner_20121204_225845.png

Tony

Staff member
go to Home depo or lowes and get a set of the T handle one
if all else fails drill the heads off then they will come right out after there is no more pressure on them

I'm trying to leave that as a very last resort. If I do this, I will have to order new bolts for the head. Not that this is a big deal, Just trying to NOT do this lmao. But, it's almost to the top of my list to get this head apart.

This is the one i got from one of the Rc websites you Gave me Tony.

View attachment 3663

It has been rock solid for me all the time use it constantly

That is the drivers that are at the top of my list. I like the second on my list because everything goes into the handle, but I LOVE that phillips that yours comes with.

wolfman76

tell me bout it i use the crap out of this thing it has been without a doubt the best one i have had so far and i have had quit a few....even the smallest bit has lastest longer then anything else i have had even the auto parts store brands..... i think it was on ready heli well worth the money paid smallest one has not even shown signs of rounding off yet and i tend to be pretty generous with lock tite...

Tony

Staff member
Usually the really small ones will not round off, they will just snap the tip off. That is what has always happened to me anyway.

Tony

Staff member
Okay, I decided to get the first ones I had pictured. In time, I may order the other two just to compare all of them. But for now, I had to have my 2.5mm. It's mainly what is holding this helicopter together lmao. Needless to say, the engine is going to be the last thing I put on video because I need this driver lmao. Don't need another one broke...

wolfman76

good choice tony sorry did not come right out and say it but that the 1 i thought you should get is the one i have and have had no arguments with it so far usually screw are what strip not the tool with that one

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
It was only a little more than the second one I pictured. As stated though, I may go ahead and pick up another set just to compare. It's always good to have two of each driver, you never know when you will need a backer.

BOKI

HI Tony; I use to work at Snap On Tools ! & they had the Best tools! Tools that are precision made & have good steel ! So buy the best You can afford! They do the job when things are hard to get apart & won't strip things out doing tough jobs! BOKI WEDNESDAY 2:01 AM ILLINOIS TIME THE BEST!:lol: :twothumbsup:

Tony

Staff member
Yeah I was a mechanic for quite a few years and have used Snap-On. What I hate about them is they are very shady in their warranty. I had a ratchet once that I purchased from them, $75 worth of ratchet and I bent it trying to loosen a large bolt. When I say bent it, I mean to a 90º angle. They told me that they would not replace it because I abused it. From then on, snap-on, Mac, Matco, I don't buy from any of them. I will only purchase from craftsman from now on. No questions asked when you have an issue with their hand tools.

BOKI

Hi Tony; I didn't mean you had to buy Snap On Tools just the best quality you can afford! BOKI :lol:

Top Bottom