450 Best 450 Pro V2 Tail Servo

Tony

Staff member
It seems that I'm in need of a new tail servo for the 450 Pro since my 520 is glitching out on me. Almost cost me another crash, but ended up costing me only a tail gear.

So my question is, what tail servo would you put on an Align 450 Pro V2? Remember, this is a mini size servo (500 size).

Please remember that money is an issue. I want BK (damn I want BK!!!) but I can't spend $90 for a servo. So lets keep the price down a little bit. If you have one to sell, hit me up.

Oh, and lets stay away from the Align DS520. lol.

trainrider06

next best one would be the KST, Keith says those Turnigy servos....can't remember which ones are pretty dang good though and they are fairly inexpensive....since this dang 430's demise I am wondering if I should go with a KST for the cyclic s on the Dominator.

Tony

Staff member
The only one that I found was $65. Pretty much a BK, just a little less expensive.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
next best one would be the KST, Keith says those Turnigy servos....can't remember which ones are pretty dang good though and they are fairly inexpensive....since this dang 430's demise I am wondering if I should go with a KST for the cyclic s on the Dominator.

Hey Rodney, my X3 has the KST DS215mg on it and the 500 has the KST DS515mg all around. For the price, you can't beat them. Same goes with the Turnigy servos. You just have to wait on them from oversea. Just a thought.

trainrider06

I have a few spare DS430's so I'll put one back on this thing, but at some point I am thinking I'll upgrade the cyclic's to KST's.
I've had too many instances of servo fail with the Align servo's. The Dominator already has the KST DS515 on the tail, so at some point I'll upgrade the rest to the KST's. Just have too many other things ahead of that to worry about it.

KLA

The KST 215's and Turnigy 306g's are the exact same servo. They are great cyclic servos or a good tail servo. The nice thing about the Turnigy servos is that they also have a 306g HV servo which, naturally, is a little faster and stronger cause it can be run at a higher voltage. Usually Hobbyking's East warehouse in Arkansas has them in stock. Turnigy also makes a 313c servo which is a purpose built 450 cyclic servo and only cost about $20.

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
One thing to remember here guys is the tail servo is a mini, not a micro. I really don't want to make an adapter plate to fit a micro servo onto the mini mount. I know the day will come that I will need to replace the DS410's on teh cyclic, but just not today lol. Today, I need to get me some tail... Servo that is :biggrin1:

KLA

Yeah, those KST and Turnigy servos that I told you about are the micro size. But they work great and an adapter plate might not be such a bad idea, especially for the price. When you get into the mini size, the price increases considerably. But I'll see what I can find in the mini size. Turnigy still has some fair priced mini size servos.

Tony

Staff member
The issue with running an adapter plate is it has to sit on top of the servo mount and I only have about 3mm of space between the ball on the servo arm and the bottom of the tail block. So any space that I lose will cause the ball to rub the tail block.

With that said though, I think I have found a servo for the helicopter. It's a few years old, but as long as it works and gets this very stable helicopter back into the air, I'm all for it. I will post more when I know more.

KLA

Sounds good, man. More power to ya bud. At least you can get her up in the air. Let us know how it works out.

Tony

Staff member
You know I will. I have been flying everything but the Pro V2 mainly because I remember it being quite twitchy. But, I put it up yesterday and it's one of the most stable helicopters that I have. Not sure why it was twitchy before. That is until the tail servo started glitching on me....

KLA

Yeah you're right. My pro is and always was more stable than my SE V2. Especially now since I went DFC and The Beast.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, I have the BX on mine as well, and if I can get some DFC links for the head, I will have a DFC head on it as well. I still have the old V2 head on it right now. Had a DFC, but sold it with another helicopter a long time ago.

KLA

DFC is definitely nice. I got the Tarot Split Lock DFC head for $36 brand new. Not a bad deal at all.

trainrider06

I've thought about getting those heads for my 450's. Have heard good things about em. I know the older version of the DFC head block has issues with tilt, is why both of mine run the upgraded head. Lol the only reason I haven't went with the Tarot head is because of the orange links, well and priorities of cash direction here lately. But I need to look around and see if they have a different color of links I reckon.

KLA

Yes they do have different colors. If you order from Tarot in San Diego, they have the orange and black, all orange, all black or all silver. I only got the orange and black cause I got a deal on it from a guy on EBay and that's all he had left. If I can get the link I'll post it here.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Rodney, here is the link to the silver split lock DFC head. They also have all black too.

Tarot RC 450 DFC split lock rotor head assembly Silver

Tony

Staff member
Unfortunately for this bird, I have to stick with all Align on it. My SE V2 I would to that, maybe, but no need to now lmao. Turned that thing into a lawn dart hahahaha.

trainrider06

- - - Updated - - -

Well, you can use a regular swash, just have the chance the links might pop off if you really smack it around. But you can use any DFC Swash or if you want the Tarot DFC swash they have it for about $15.

Tarot RC 450 Dual-position DFC Metal Swashplate Black

ah ok, sounds good! i have this on my 450 PRO DFC! Very nice control rod! I forget where I found the one for my Dominator, It was a search though Totally different heli was where I got it from, its a nice control rod, big and beefy!
I need to get one of these from Tarot or actually 2, and then find that one place I got the one for the Dominator and get a couple from them....
https://tarot-rc-heli.com/Tarot_RC_...-and-450-PRO-V2-carbon-fiber-tail-control-rod

Top Bottom