General Belt vs Torque Tube (Keep It Civil!)

stokke

I'll have to agree with Gaba regarding Tony and the RCH 600; I do not think the gears in the 600N is anything to worry about - while doing sport flying anyways. And when it's time to taste some harder 3D, it's just a matter of installing the new Align super gears.

Regarding my own crash; I do not trust the JR's gears anymore due to two separate incidents. If JR had a similar product like the Align super gears, I would be rebuilding my baby right now. I cannot rule out that the gear stripping is caused by faulty assembly on my part - but I assembled the thing as best I could, and I find it odd that I'm able to take out the same gear twice...

murankar

Staff member
In the end there are a few minor differences between belt and TT. Let go with belt first since that's what I fly, It is prone to dry rotting and stretching (provided you keep the belt long enough). You probably could add some power loss but with the direct drive system that Lee and Myself have I don't think it much of an issue. Watch Alsaadi fly his Protos mini and I think you'll agree. Any how I got long windedso let's recap dry rot, stretching.

TT are prone to stripped gears with the slightest touch and gear mesh issues.

So in the end it's about equal and boils down to preference. If you are a beginner you more than likely should be using belt drive till you lean how to land with out touching the tail to the ground.

Lee

The tail blades on the Warp are slightly on the large side, 70mm. They hit the ground quite regularly unless its billiard table smooth. I've shaved them down a few times on tarmac and stones, but never had any issues with stipping anything else as a result. I am changing the blades to KBDD 61mm to stop them touching, with the added benefit of using higher gains.

callsign4223

Staff member
My experience is a little skewed. My 130x has a torque tube and my blade 400 has a belt. Not really an apples to apples comparison due to the size difference. I will say however, the belt isn't the only thing that can fail in a belt drive. My last crash on the 400 was due to the belt drive gear being worn completely smooth. It would start fine, but when I hit idle up the friction wasn't enough to hold anymore and it just started spinning on the belt. Result, awesome piro, at least until it hit the ground.

Top Bottom