700 Bell 47G from Vario

Nade

Finally another update on the Bell 47G. A few more set backs but overcame the hurdles. Two major things have to occur before programming. Have to paint the tail fins and have the horizontal fin bracket repositioned. Wasn't centered when soldered on at the factory so the fin's tail drive shaft clearance is not over the shaft. Been in touch with a stainless steel welder and expected to have that corrected next week. Then set up the swash and finish installing the electronics and will be ready to go.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nade

Had to drill holes for mounting the fuel tanks so while I was at it I decided to add the fins and blades to get sort of a sneak preview look. All I have to do is paint them all now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Nade

That thing is starting to look really good. So when is the maiden? :biggrin1:
Thanks Tony! Realistically the maiden won't be for a couple weeks. I just don't think I'll have everything ready to go by the end of next week. But I'll keep y'all updated and let you know when I'm ready.

Nade

Here's one more picture of the build. I hope to have the assembly done by tomorrow. Once I finish the main blades I can get the wiring done and will be ready for programming.I got in the mail the little stick on plastic clips you showed me during our last FaceTime, and some additional length of the wiring sleeve from cableorganizer.com. I'm starting the wire routing and what a pain in the ass!

image.jpeg

Nade

Well, I finally got the fin bracket repositioned by a welder that supposedly has over 20 years experience in welding. It turns out the job done was mediocre at best. I have 15 years of complete auto repair and restoration under my belt and I can tell you had I still possessed my welding tools you almost wouldn't have been able to tell which one was a factory solder and which one was mine. Compare the pics and you'll be able to tell the difference. Very discouraging! But at least it's where it belongs now.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Tony

Staff member
Did he MIG or TIG that thing? I could have done a better job with a brazing torch and an aluminum rod. That is absolutely horrible! And if he was running TIG, then he has some serious issues and needs to go back to school to learn how to weld again. In fact, I can do a better welding job than that with my MIG welder I have at my house!!! Man, I hope your sanding skills are up to get rid of that eyesore on this beautiful bird.

Nade

I did my best to tell this guy this stainless steel boom was soldered together with a type of brass. I texted him the info from their web site with a closeup picture of how it is made. It was clear though he loves to tig weld since he brought it up a number of times. I told him I just wanted to break loose the solder so as to reposition the bracket and resolder it back on. He wanted to just tack it on with the tig welder in case it had to be repositioned. Being the trusting person I am, I didn't put up a stink and while "tacking" it with the tig welder he blew a hole through the upper rail of the boom. At that point there was no going back. He knew He should have been brasing with a multitude of apologies. It was partly my fault for not speaking up and making him just braze it where I clamped it.

I went back to my car to wait out the storm. The result was having to fill a hole with brass and grinding marks. Would you believe out of only two welders available in my area this one was the only one that responded to the job request. The only thing I can be thankful for is the bracket is where it belongs now. I'm hoping the fin among other things will help take some of the curse off of it.

Tony

Staff member
If it's done and it's holding, then just use progressively higher grit papers then use a rubbing compound to take out teh scratches. Nothing a little cotton wheel won't take care of on a dremel or the like.

Nade

Well, I am close to the precipice with this build. The helicopter is built and needs only some wiring and programming. My hopes are for completion by the end of the week providing there aren't any set backs with the programming, which has been known to happen. Of course I will keep y'all updated. In the meantime the completed assembly.

Well, you might know, trying to upload four cropped pics and won't upload. Hasn't happened for a long time now but I'll try a bit later.

Nade

I was able to get two pics to upload, but only after cropping them considerably. I have a couple more I hope to get uploaded.

- - - Updated - - -

Well, two more pics only after cropping as much as possible. It would look much better without the heavy cropping needed to upload. But hopefully you can get the gist of it.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

murankar

Staff member
If you have a program like Photoshop just open the image in the program, re-save or save as, then reduce the quality to around 5 or 6. That should get your image size down to where the site wont complain. In the end you really wont notice the quality degradation in the image unless you have an HD monitor and great eyes.

Tony

Staff member
I'm still working on this issue. I just had a gif say it was too large but I set the software to 5mb and the image was only 3.5. I don't know where the issue is, but i'm looking for it. For jpg and the like, the issue is very hit and miss so it's even harder to find. But I'm working on it.

Nade

I'm still working on this issue. I just had a gif say it was too large but I set the software to 5mb and the image was only 3.5. I don't know where the issue is, but i'm looking for it. For jpg and the like, the issue is very hit and miss so it's even harder to find. But I'm working on it.

Thanks much Tony!!!!! I think the last pics I uploaded would look much nicer with the background. I gives a little better idea of its size. But I'm not complaining at all. Very glad to be a member of this RC community and to upload pics!

- - - Updated - - -

that is a good looking heli, I like it.

Thanks very much jcfernan51!

Top Bottom