450 Beginner controller setting dr/expo throttle pitch etc

Dizzle000

Hey guys so as some of you might have seen is I'm a beginner to helis. Small hovers etc just getting the hang of things and still trying to figure out how to set my tail gyro on my dx8 . Anyhow what do you guys recommend for setting up my controller the best and most forgiving I have a new align 450 pro 3gx .
I have no d/ r or expo my setting are:
Throttle 0-25-50-75-100
Pitch. 45-49-50-75-100
Dr/expo for aleron,elevator,rudder are all 0 dr and 0 expo
And in servo setup my aux2 for HH is 100% and rate is 100%
Should I be changing any of these to help me get used to and learn faster or should I just be using what I got and learning that way? Any and all help is very appreciated
Kyle

Tony

Staff member
Set your DR to 70 and Expo to +35%.

Set your throttle curve to 0 40 65 65 65

Set your Pitch curve to 46 48 50 75 100

With your gyro gain that high, you should have some serious wag in that thing. Move that down to 50%. Make sure your switch is set to Gyro and your Channel is Aux2. Remember, the higher the number, the more gain you have and the more travel the gyro is going to send to the servo.

Hope this helps.

cn63bug

I never used rate mode on mine but if memory serves me right, when you have the unit connected to your computer, when you make adjustments for you gain on your radio, you should see the change in the software. Typically, you want around 42 to 45% for gain on heading hold.
Your pitch curve looks good to me. On your throttle, I would increase it from 65 to maybe 75 or 85. It will give you some more stability from the increased head speed.
I know that Tony or some of the other guys on here could explain it better though.

Never mind, Tony to the rescue! :)

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
Yes, you can see the gain. However, the gain in your Tx will not be the same as what the gyro is showing. Not sure why though. I had mine set to 45% in the software, and it wagged its butt off. Not sure what I went down to to stop it, but 40-45% is a good place to start.

Dizzle000

Ok so for the gain is it in the servo menu but aux2 pic 1

Or gyro
Pos0 50%
Pos1 50%
Pos2 50%
Ch aux 2. Sw: gyro
Sorry I'm being particular the setting of the gyro has me confused so I figure I'd take pics lol

image.jpg

image.jpg

Tony

Staff member
It's in the Gyro menu. Don't touch the settings in the servo menu, they all need to be at 100% or you will make the 3GX act all wacky. I would set your settings to 45, 50 and 55 in the Gyro menu. Start at 55, if you have wag, move the switch down to 50. If you still have wag, go down to 45 by moving the switch again. This is the easiest way to dial in your gyro gain.

Dizzle000

Ok now that I have gone into the gyro menus changed the percentages for pos 1 2 and 3 also made the ch to aux2 and the switch gyro , I can no longer flip the switch and go into rate mode is this normal to always be in heading hold status light green?

- - - Updated - - -

When I go into the switch select menu now the aux2 is inh do I have to set it to another switch like gear or something?

Tony

Staff member
Don't worry about the switch select menu. And if you want a rate mode, turn position 2 on teh switch to a negative number.

Dizzle000

Genius! Man you guys are a life saver for people like me thank you so much time to try these new setting out will report back tomorrow after my flight.

concept30

I have a DX6i and a Blade 450 heli and I turn my Swash Mix down to 20% cause im a beginner, doing so doesnt give me alot of swash movement, incase i get scared and use to much stick movement so that my swash plate wont move alot, if this makes any since!

john2012

Banned
Well i have set all my settings to what is on here and also went into the computer settings and set the gains to 105 not good for me heli spinns like a top.oh and i can't understand why i did change the front tail gears and now can't get it in the air,I have done all the settings over again dir, tail and gov all over again and still spins like a top

Tony

Staff member
If it's spinning like a top, then you need to check your tail correction direction. Please make your own thread though instead of posting in someone elses thread that is meant for DR/Expo.

Tony

Staff member
Post deleted. Unless you are posting about the OP's topic, make your own thread please.

concept30

I just used the DR to limited the throws of the swash plate, I didnt think it would work but it did thanks Tony, Kyle I think if you would limited your throws of the swash it will help cause you not trying to roll over your helicopter in half a second. Havent heard from you in a while, I hope everything is ok.

Dizzle000

Hey guys changing the settings in my controller have worked great was able to get out and do a few hovers nothing amazing by any means but it's been crazy windy out. Tried to fly once in the wind for a beginner that was interesting lol desired to call it a day and pack up.

Dirk

Flying in wind is not fun. Anyway, here are the gyro settings I use on my 450 DFC.

- - - Updated - - -

20130820_152746.jpg

Last edited:

Dizzle000

Is it uncommon to be able to turn your rudder gain up pretty hight I set it at 60% right now and still won't get wag been trying to get wag then back it down abit but then again the tail will still hold even at like 30% also is it even worth messing with until I take my training gear off?

- - - Updated - - -

Worried about taking my gear off right now sometimes run into situations when flying sideways or nose towards me

Tony

Staff member
I would leave it at 60% as long as you dont' have any tail drift. With training gear, once it starts to wag, it gets pretty violent and if you are not ready for it, it will scare the hell out of you lol.

Dizzle000

If had my arttech falcon wag like a savage when I was setting it up but I was down to 45 percent to get it to hold nice just want sure if such a high percentage is normal with the 3gx. Just seemed different how it can fly nice in such a huge percentage range from like 30% to 60%. I thinking I may have to bite the bullet and take off the gear.... On second thought Mabey a few more flights I have to stock up on parts first lol

Top Bottom