450 Bearings & oil?

Bruno

OK.....so it seems the consensus is unless the manufacturer recommends oiling the motor bearings, oiling motor bearings can actually wash out the grease (not good).

So...what about all the other bearings on a heli?

Consensus suggests sealed bearings should not be oiled (makes sense) since they are "sealed".

Shielded bearings may allow oil to pass but it seems the consensus is they are packed with grease and should not be oiled.

Seems to me that most bearings on my 550 and 450s are shielded, correct?

Not to resurrect an old topic but I am simply interested with recommendations.....

What do others think/experience with oiling shielded bearings?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I always oil my bearings. Makes sense people saying not to oil greased bearings to have the grease run out

But with sealed, I use really thin oil, and that can pass through the seals ... And that in my opinion helps.

I oil the bearings by putting one drop of oil on each side every once in a while. I have personally seen difference in the smoothness after that.

It won't fix extremely gritty or jammed bearings but it definitely does (in my case) give me longer bearing life

As simple as it is, the nitro bird I have has a lot of oil residue from its fuel burning.. That oil seeps into the bearings, guess what, I haven't had to replace the bearing on that one as they keep smooth. :) it's been with me 2 years and been out of the factory atleast 3 :)

murankar

Staff member
I use oil in all my bearings. Not more than a few drops per. As for grease, only on the thrust bearing do I use grease.

murankar

Staff member
Tony has suggested owb with one way bearing grease. The align manual and my protos mini manual say to use oil.

Now if oil is used it should be only a couple drops only.

Top Bottom