Other Bavarian Demon

rbei31201

Anybody have any experience with these? The bailout function sounds interesting. Reviews look good. Was thinking about one for a new 550L. Thoughts and comments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tony

Staff member
I have never tried it, but they are supposed to be some of the best gyro's out there. Those, and the Skookum (I think that is how you spell it).

Tony

Staff member
It does, but I think you have to get the GPS adapter, and it's not cheap. However, if all you are looking for is the bailout, look at the Ikon. It's what I run on my 600 as well as many other members and we all love it. Not a single complaint that I have heard about it.

Can I ask why you are looking at the Bavarian Deamon instead of the other gyros out there? This one is pretty expensive.

rbei31201

Just started reading through the threads on HF the other day due to boredom at work and it sounded interesting. I have the new 550 that I haven't flown yet and a controller with bailout might save me some money in crash repairs. I also have tax return money burning a hole in my pocket. I did see mentions of the ikon bailout feature but read it's not as effective as the BD's.

Tony

Staff member
If you get it set up correctly, the ikon will bring your helicopter back to level, and all you have to do is add positive collective and it will climb so that you can get your bearings again and keep flying. But you must add positive collective for it to work, and you MUST make sure the main shaft is completely plum and your helicopter is completely balanced with CoG. And, it's over $100 cheaper, which means, another battery or two for the 550!!!

rbei31201

Yea, that's what the difference was between the ikon and the BD. You don't have to worry about the collective. It does it on its own.

murankar

Staff member
The bail out on the skookum is only on the 720. That unit alone is more than an ikon. The skookum 520 is equivalent to an ikon minus the bail out / self level. BV I think has self level which is not the same as bail out.

Some other trade offs is BD does not have a governor built in, you will need to supply that externally yourself. I am not sure if any of the skookums have a governor.

BD is supposed to be better than ikon and competes more with vbar. As for skookum they have not had much press out for over a year. I am not sure if they are still around but if they are I don't think they have released any updates in the last year and half. If your looking to get something that's higher end but won't break the bank then ikon or the lower end bd.

I was looking at skookum a couple years ago when they first hit the market. I was really impressed with what was said about them. I will be doing some digging to see what info is out on them.

Just checked skookum robotics web site. It appears their last update was done Oct of 14. So they are still making the gyros.
Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Here is the info on the sk540 (earlier I said 520 when I should have said 540)

The SK 540 is our next-generation flybarless system, ready for any pilots wanting no-frills, rock:) solid flybarless control.:) The SK 540 features 3D Masters podium-proven flight control, dual 3-axis MEMS gyros, and an integrated governor.:) Whether you’re new to helis or you’re already flying smack 3D, the SK 540 is ready for you!

What’s new with the SK 540?

The SK 540 was developed in response to SK 720 pilots who loved the unit’s flybarless control, but didn’t feel the need for the self levelling function or GPS capability.:) As a result, we took the accelerometers out of the SK 720, included two all-new 3-axis MEMS gyros and a new 32-bit processor, then packaged it in a brand new anodized and laser etched aluminum case. The SK 540 also loses the need for the SK-SB1 SBus adapter – SBus receivers can be directly connected to a port on the SK 540’s servo bus.

Fast Performance

The SK 540 inherits the high performance flight control from its big brother, the SK 720.:) Like the 720, the SK 540 integrates the yaw and cyclic gyros, giving rock-solid piro maneuvers and tail control that benefits from knowing what the collective stick is doing.:) For pilots looking for lightning fast piros, the SK540 is capable of 4 full rotations in one second!

Easy Setup

The Setup Wizards from the SK 720 have carried over to the SK 540 as well.:) These wizards will guide you through simple steps, having your heli ready to fly in no time.:) Have a favourite SK 720 setup?:) The SK 540 can load it directly onto the unit!:) Video walkthroughs of Setup Wizards are also available on our:)YouTubechannel, making setup even easier.

Big Features without a big Price

Along with the flybarless control from the SK 720,:) the 540 keeps a number of functions that made the SK 720 a market leader for features in a single unit:

Integrated Governor

Your heli’s setup is simplified with the SK 540’s integrated governor.:) Simply plug your RPM sensor into the IO-C port, enter your gear ratio into the SK 540 software, and set your RPM values.

Quadcopter Compatibility

Quadcopter pilots get a compact and easy to use flight control solution with the SK 540 – no soldering, no open circuit boards.:) Just connect the ESCs, tell the SK 540 which way it’s pointed and fly!

Specs:

Dimensions: 29mm x 38mm x 13mm (1.125″x 1.5″ x 0.5″)Weight: 18g (0.63 ounces)Dual 3-axis MEMs gyros, giving stability and redundancy32-bit processorAnodized and laser etched aluminum caseSupports many input options: Spektrum/JR remote (satellite) receivers (DSM2 and DSMX), Futaba S-Bus, JR DMSS, JR xBus, UDI, Futaba PPM, Jeti PPM, Graupner SUMD, and traditional receivers.Supports use as an 8-channel receiver core when used with Spektrum remote (satellite), Futaba S-Bus, JR DMSS, SUMD, or PPM receiversEasy to use Setup Wizards and compatibility with SK 720 setup filesWorks with Digital or Analog swash servos, as well as high voltage servosSuitable for 120, 135/140, and 90 degree eCCPM, as well as mCCPM swashplatesWorks with 2,3,4, or 5 blades, with phase trim adjustable to ±90°Swash Ring anti-binding algorithmInternal swash mixing, for accurate controlSupports Spektrum radios with either 1024 or 2048 servo steps, and 22ms or 11ms frame ratesQuadcopter and Hexacopter flight controlFlight logging is now available for the SK540

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

rbei31201

Thanks.....looking around and doing lots of reading. Suffice to say that the BD does look very interesting. So far I haven't ran across anything really negative on the BD. Next I want to see if I can find some setup videos and flight videos and see what those look like.

Tony

Staff member
I have a setup video series on the Ikon If you have not watched it. I have more videos to do but trying to make time to do them. Unfortunately, I have no experience with the BD or Skookum. Sure wish I did though. Would be fantastic to try those out.

rbei31201

I know there are guys at the field flying ikon, vbar and SK. I don't remember seeing any BD's though. I'll have to talk to some them too.

murankar

Staff member
BDs are popular among the speed folks. I know Justin Pucci of RCHN is a team pilot for BD and he loves his. You can put it at the same or higher quality over the ikon.

Here is a typical first flight with a new gyro. the pilot goes through a series of maneuvers that will show anything that needs tuned out. I did hear some tail flutter but then again this is the first flight before tuning.

https://youtu.be/qPmJL-a7SYo

Slobberdog

Just started reading through the threads on HF the other day due to boredom at work and it sounded interesting. I have the new 550 that I haven't flown yet and a controller with bailout might save me some money in crash repairs. I also have tax return money burning a hole in my pocket. I did see mentions of the ikon bailout feature but read it's not as effective as the BD's.

the BD is the best gyro on the market for a true recovery feature, it is closely followed by the Spirit FBL,

I have the ikon and it does work on self level but TBH I would not trust it to do the job, you can use it 5 times in a row and for the first 4 it will work perfect the next time it will drift like hell, or it will drift the first use and you flip the switch again and its ok,

If you want to put a lot of trust in a unit then it has to be the Demon, abait the cost is a fair bit more upfront, it will defo save you that cost quickly,

Zokia uses them on his heli's and I think he's the only person on here,

- - - Updated - - -

personally I am waiting for the Vortex to get the self level feature finished and then I will probably look at swapping my ikon for another Vortex.

rbei31201

Maidened my 550L with the BD3SX today and all I can say is awesome. This thing is sweet. Very little tuning, tail is rock solid. With SL on it hovers hands off. The bailout works great too. This unit is a little more expensive than others but the bailout will make it pay for itself on the first save.

Tony

Staff member
Dude, that is some GREAT NEWS! Love hearing a maiden going smooth. Post up some video if you have some.

rbei31201

No vids. Forgot my gopro. Maybe next time. You really should try this controller though. I don't think you would be disappointed. When the new one comes out I bet we'll see a lot of the old ones go up for sale cheap. That's supposed to be this year sometime.

Top Bottom