500 Battery velcro ?

treff

When flying the Agile 5.5 I strap the battery down with 2 straps but I do not use
any velcro. Is it advisable to also use velcro on the battery? I just wondered because
there is not much room to get the battery in and out particularly with the Turnigy
Lipo because they are on the biggish side. Thanks for any thoughts.

Tony

Staff member
As long as they are secured, that is all that matters. I use velcro on mine that is from Align. But the plastic loop is pretty large and you will have issues if you are limited on clearance. If you can find just a normal piece of velcro with the hook on one side and the loop on the other, that would be perfect.

treff

Thanks Tony In was not sure. The problem is the battery could move backwards so I may have to use something
to prevent that happening. It has not move to date but Murphy's law being what it is you never know.

Graham Lawrie

Treff I have had the normal Align Velcro battery ties snap during a high impact crash on my 550. All my batteries have Velcro on them and the battery tray for extra security on all my helis:)

Lee

On my Goblin Treff, I have put that non slip matting you get in cutlery draws on the battery tray.
You know that stuff made of soft foam in a checkered pattern.
Works really well.

Tony

Staff member
Get you some adhesive backed velcro and put it on your tray and on the battery. This will keep it from sliding.

Derek

Get you some adhesive backed velcro and put it on your tray and on the battery. This will keep it from sliding.

This is what I do on my 450 and 500. I have the sticky back Velcro on the battery tray and on my batteries, then I use a single Velcro strap on my 450 and two straps on my 500. I'm using 6S 3000mah 35-70C lipos on my 500 and it all fits very well and the battery doesn't move.

treff

Thanks guys for the input. The problem is how do you get the bloody battery out once you have it velcro'd in.
There is not enough room to release the velcro without taking the heli apart lol. I think I need thinner stuff or
some different release method. I need to think out of the box. Still thinking about Kev's parrot lol

pvolcko

Can also use two pieces of the nubby (hook) velcro side, instead of nubby and soft (loop) side, it will have decent lateral sheer resistance but release easily when pulled up.

treff

Hi pvolcko. Thanks for that brilliant idea. It works just perfect. The problem was stopping the battery moving but with ease of
getting the battery out and your idea is the bees knees. Works just right. Cheers.

Last edited:

Ken Jackson

Just a quick note about straps the Align straps wear out too fast for me. I prefer the Scorpion straps, they are also wider. Just seem to have more elasticity then Align.

ken

murankar

Staff member
I use Velcro on my tray and pack, I also use the scorpion lock straps at the same time.

My tray setup is intended to be setup with foam tape. The trays are cheap and having the packs permanently mounted would be ideal and fast.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

cml001

I use hook & loop.. Soft side on the pack and hook side on the tray... I use the 3M I got from Lowes.. Good size roll.. Use it for all kinda of stuff.. Had that roll for 2+ yrs now.. Just about time to get more.. But very good stuff!

Top Bottom