Batteries Battery question?

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Hello everyone. I just like to know when it comes to charging batteries, storage charged is used when your heli going to sit for awhile and balance charge is when your heli is going to be used? Is this kinda of right? I would also like to know how long can a battery sit without being used. When a company ships batteries, It's charge is some where around 11.1 and nobody really knows how long they been sitting in warehouse? I just don't want to ruin my new batteries. Thanks for any information that can help me out!

Tony

Staff member
The supplier usually charges them to 3.7 volts per cell, which is what is called the "nominal voltage". I think anyway. 3.7 or 3.8 is the safest voltage to store them at and the amount of time you can store them there is quite a long time. I would htink a year or so.

Balance charge is used to balance all of your cells. The charger reads each cell and charges all of them, equally, to 4.2 volts per cell, which is hte highest you can charge a lipo battery cell. This is best over just a fast charge since a fast charge only looks at the overall voltage and will charge a pack (say a 3s) to 12.6v without looking at the cells. This would give you an unbalanced charge which would result in a lower life of the battery.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Thanks Tony! I get about 3 month of flights, flying at least once a day. My friend tells me he gets about one year out of his battery? Depending how much flight time. I try to fly every day, weather permitting. Is 3 months about right if battery is taking care of?

Lee

Storage charge is normally set to 3.85V on your charger, and its how all my batteries have arrive from the shop.
As well as storage charge, try to keep them stored in a cool dry place.
I have heard you can actually store them in the freezer. But you need to seal them in a zip lock bag, and let them return to room temp before removing them from the bag. This stops any moisture getting into the battery.

Top Bottom