Batteries Battery Quality vs Price

RMB677

I've just retired my first LiPo, the E-Sky 1500mAh, 3s, ? that came with my first heli. Since I gave up on that heli and moved up to a Blade 450 I've used it for short flights that didn't bring the voltage below 11.2. I noticed yesterday that it appeared more swollen than normal and decided to retire it. I know, I was probably overtaxing the battery but I had it on hand with no other use for it.

My primary battery is a Turnigy Nanotec 3S, 2200mAh, 25C. I just ordered a couple of new Turnigy Nanotechs, 3S, 2200mAh, 35C's. When looking at different brands I see a broad range of price for batteries having the same characteristic. Is there really that much difference in a battery costing less than $20 and one costing nearly $50?

Some where I read that there are but a hand full of LiPo manufacturers making all the many different brands.

murankar

Staff member
Yes and no. I have Gens ace 2200 25c batteries and they work just great. I should have gotten the 30c but for my system they are adequate for how I fly. I normally fly mine to about 11.8v which puts me at about 1400-1500 mah depletion. Normally you do not want to replenish more than 1700mah on a 2200mah battery. The max you should be draining your 2200s are 1760 which is 80% of 2200.

Now if you get new batteries you may want to break them in first. What you would do is drain them about 50% for the first five cycles. Is this needed, I don't know but have found the info numerous times on the net. I have done this on all my lipos from my 120sr to my 450 and have not had issues as of yet.

If you don't plan on flying for about week after charging you should discharge them with the storage mode on the charger if you have that option. this will help extend the life of the battery.

Top Bottom