General back flip forward flip tips?

xokia

I'm to the point where I started trying to do back flips and front flips with my mcpx. I can fly upside down but not to the point where I would call it "controlled"flight. I still need practice at upside down flight. But flips I can do forward and backwards assuming I have enough altitude.

My questions it seems to take to much of an arc to do a flip. Simulator I can do these just fine but in real life we all know the simulator isn't very good. What I do is go into idle up then gain some altitude then drop the pitch to mid stick at the same time pull all the way back on the collective. It will do them just fine but it takes a large arc. How do you get these into smaller arcs?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Ill move this helicopter beginners area

For your answer:

The start is your problem :)

Take it high... Hover

Pump a bit of positive pitch so it'a got upward momentum..

Then pull back while bringing the collective to mid stick and catch it with reapexrice collective movement either mid way when inverted or all the way around if you want it to be right side up :)

Now how fast you make these transitions fast enough and you make it tighter and tighter. :)

Hope it helps

- - - Updated - - -

Ill move this helicopter beginners area

For your answer:

The start is your problem :)

Take it high... Hover

Pump a bit of positive pitch so it'a got upward momentum..

Then pull back while bringing the collective to mid stick and catch it with reapexrice collective movement either mid way when inverted or all the way around if you want it to be right side up :)

Now how fast you make these transitions fast enough and you make it tighter and tighter. :)

Hope it helps

Lee

It all about your collective management, and what the wind is doing. On a still day, as Gaba said you need to give a little + pitch to initiate the flip/roll. If you don't, it will start to drop rapidly, causing the wide arc you're talking about.
So the actions are from a hover:
Give a small + pitch pump, pull back on cyclic and hold it throughout the flip, collective back to 0 as heli becomes inverted, then slight negative pitch pump, back to 0 then + pitch to return to hover.
Its all about timing. If the disk is not flat when you give your mini pitch pumps, it will make the heli travel.
The wind will also effect it. If you are nose in to a stiff breeze and want to do a backflip, a + pitch pump will make the heli travel backwards. In this case you would illiminate the + pitch pump to stop the heli travelling, just pull back on the cyclic and introduce other pitch changes earlier. This should keep the heli is one place.
Good luck.

Last edited:

xokia

Still a newb but getting better. I had to fly so high in order for the video to pick up the little thing. And the dang tail blow out gets me just about every time. I also have issues with the main motor just cutting out which is at the very end of the video. I've thought about upgrading to brushless but instead I think I will get a blade 130x. I can flip with no problems now. Which will allow me to practice my inverted flight.

helicopter - YouTube

Top Bottom