600 autorotation gear

Kevinrc

Hi there,

I saw a video of Tony's showing a 450 build and the autorotation gear was really loose, ie when holding the main gear you can turn quite easily the blades. On my 550E DFC it is not that easy, is it supposed to be like that?

Everything is as per the manual. I put the 2 shims on top, the washer is between the gears. If I remove one of the shims then there is vertical movement.

Tony

Staff member
The auto gear should free spin one direction pretty freely. If one shim is not enough, but two is too tight, then you need to put two shims in there (not between the gears) then loosen the main blocks and squeeze them together. You should do this until you get the perfect play in the shaft. which is NONE, but still allowing the auto gear to spin free.

Kevinrc

I tried last night to loosen up the autorotation gear but even with the gears out no shaft through it it's not really free turning let say as my 450 and as soon as I put the "jesus" bolt that holds the gears to the shaft then it almost doesn't turn it's very hard even with the bolt barely tightened.

I loosened the 2 bearing blocks and use small clamp to squeeze then towards each other then tightened the screws but still no good. Their is no play with the shaft, which is good, but the auto is still hard to turn. I made sure the block are put the right way.

Would things loosen after a few flights?

Tony

Staff member
Is there any way you can get a video of your issue. I think it would help out.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Some align helis have a shim between the auto and main gear and the bearing block (usually upper). If this is an align 450 pro design, this definitely should have it.

If it's missing (then it's gonna be too tight) and if it's there.. Then shave that shim with some sand paper gently.

I had that issue. The shim shaving helped a lot.
Outside the bird with shaft out, do the gears rotate pretty freely ?

Kevinrc

Holding the main gear in my hand and spinning the auto it's ok but not free spinning. But I think I found it, it's not quite as loose as my 450 but much better. I took apart the 2 gears again and put more grease then when I was putting it back I realized that the jesus bolt for the gear and the one that holds the head which looks exactly the same are actually 1 fr@#$%n mm different so now it's much better.

Thanks guys.

Kevinrc

This WE saw my friends 500e and saw how free it's spinning, so when I got home I removed one of the shim (the .3mm left the .5mm) and it's night and day diff. So I'm going to get some other shims and will put another .3mm since the shaft is a bit loose. With .8 it's too tight so with .6mm should be just fine.

I have another problem but will post it in the proper area.(jitters with my servos in AVCS mode only)

Top Bottom