AT LAST!!!

Graham Lawrie

I could not post on my old thread due to current site issues so i have started this one.

Went on Skype today with Lee to try and resolve my flight issues with my DX6i and Trex 450Pro 3GX V2.

It has been an interesting and frustrating journey. And it would appear to be a classic newbie error(Wont know till it stops snowing so i can go for my 1st flight,light fading now so it will be tomorrow). When i operated the TX everything looked ok, but when my tail was moving, everything would not respond. Lee guided me through the tail set up and discovered what hopefully was wrong and will now get me airborne:). The gyro needed reversing!!

It looks and feels right, just need to get the training gear on and get it spooled up. I will however do my pre-flight checks again, but from what Lee has said, and what i have seen i am quite confident i will get up tomorrow.

Many thanks to you all for the massive help i have recieved from this site and all the great people on it.

Video to follow tomorrow, on what looks to be a snow covered back garden, if i can get in the air then on to my flying field:)

all the best.
very excited Graham

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'm glad to here that your problem is almost resolved! I say almost cause you still have to test it! Lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Derek

That's awesome!!! WTG guys! I look forward to seeing some video. Ya just gotta love it when troubles get sorted out.

Last edited by a moderator:

Graham Lawrie

Glad to have helped Graham. Lets hope we found the issue. Good luck.

Alas, i got my first flight, but only a small hover for a few feet. I re-positioned my baby in my back garden for maximum room. Spooled up for my second and real hover,and noticed a vibration that disappeared after a few seconds, then a loud pop and both blades flew out at 180 degrees to each other, one hit my shed the other the fence:(

It was a lucky miss that it did not hit me.Heli had not left the ground so only main shaft and links needing replaced. As this was the first part of the heli i built,i know i did it right and spent time on it. From talking to Lee i now realise i did not clean the screws before applying thread lock.
You live and learn. Good thing is i know it flys, parts wont be here till week or so due to the time of year, but managed to sneak a set of blades for my next project a 600, past the Mrs, in my order.

Tony

Staff member
i did not clean the screws before applying thread lock.

You know, I have NEVER cleaned the screws on any of my helis. But after URI, yourself and others having this feathering shaft issue, you can bet I"m going to start doing it from now on.

I'm glad you were not hit by them and hope the damage is minimal. Make sure to check the threads in the feathering shaft before you fly it again.

Graham Lawrie

how do you sneek a 80 + dollars blade pass the misses

They were only $48 from Align in the UK, Lee pointed them out to me ,£30. I say sneak, she is as new to helis as me so she only knows what i have bought when it comes through the post, or when she checks the bank, so as neither has happened yet, she dosent know:)

A little and often as i can get away with:)

BOKI

Seems like that was a scarey deal for you & glad you are OK ! Good luck on your next flight! :twothumbsup:

Lee

I have had a number of tail blades come flying off due to vibrations and poor quality screws. Never a set if mains. That would be scary. If you ever need to buy good quality screws Graham, Welcome to Modelfixings is the place. They have all the screws and bearings you'll ever need.

Derek

This is the second story that I've heard about main blades flying off. I'm glad that no one was hurt when this happened to you. I can't imagine what that would be like.

You said something about "cleaning the screws" before applying locktite. What would be needed to clean the screws?

I hope you can get your parts shipped quickly and get your heli back in the air.

Take care buddy!!!

Tony

Staff member
If you are using new screws, just use some 99% isopropyl alcohol in a bowl and wipe them off on a clean paper towel. If they are used screws with some thread lock on them, use acetone in a bowl and do the same thing.

Derek

I never thought about doing that. Surely a simple way to ensure that the threadlock would hold.

How cool is that??? I've been awake today for nearly an hour and already learned something, lol.

murankar

Staff member
I will admit I went straight to reply after reading the op. That same thing happened twice to me.

I now soak my feathering shaft and screws in alcohol or finger nail polish remover. I also discovered that on my MSH when I dry fit the screws in the feathering shaft I noticed oil squeezing out.

Once parts are clean I will but the screws back in dry until after the feathering shaft is installed. This will prevent grease from fouling the parts.

Now I have not had that happen in quit some time now. I am very cautious of assembling my head block. I make sure that the screws are tight as long as no binding is present.

Good luck!!!!!

stokke

I always do pre and post flight checks - I have never had blades come off (I caught a loose feathering shaft once though).

Graham Lawrie

I have had a number of tail blades come flying off due to vibrations and poor quality screws. Never a set if mains. That would be scary. If you ever need to buy good quality screws Graham, Welcome to Modelfixings is the place. They have all the screws and bearings you'll ever need.

Thanks Lee

- - - Updated - - -

I will admit I went straight to reply after reading the op. That same thing happened twice to me.

I now soak my feathering shaft and screws in alcohol or finger nail polish remover. I also discovered that on my MSH when I dry fit the screws in the feathering shaft I noticed oil squeezing out.

Once parts are clean I will but the screws back in dry until after the feathering shaft is installed. This will prevent grease from fouling the parts.

Now I have not had that happen in quit some time now. I am very cautious of assembling my head block. I make sure that the screws are tight as long as no binding is present.

Good luck!!!!!
Like i said, i made sure everything was tight and threadlocked as it is the first bit you build and strip, and it was my first build. Also being newto this and an engineer to trade i am a fussy *******, and i wanted everything to be right. I had stripped it 3 times to get the wire routing right and tidy.

The big mistake i made was not checking the vibration, but i was thrown off by it going away when i spooled up. It was an impressive pop, and i am kicking myself that i did not video it:)

Lessons learnt:)

Top Bottom