500 At Last !

treff

At last I have discovered the reason for my disastrous foray into the larger and more expensive helicopter. Found the reason today.
It was and is an intermittent fault on the tail servo. What a bummer. It came to light when the heli was about 20 feet off the deck. It
just started spinning like crazy and I thought it was the end. I lowered the throttle and let it come down to about 10 feet and thank
goodness the tail began to work again. I landed no problem. Now the tail servo will not work at all. I tried a new servo in the Brain
fbl unit and it worked perfect so I have a duff rjx tail servo. So there it is. I have stripped the motor to get at the fbl unit and also found
the belt from the motor to the first drive is not running correctly. Just how I fix this I do not know at the moment will have to give this
some thought. What I think was happening when I spooled up the heli the tail servo failed, heli spun tail touched the ground so destroying the
the bevel gear, tail servo started working again so I thought the bevel gear was the fault. You should by now hear me screaming in Iowa lol and across
over to the west and up the Grand Canyon. Bugger1 bugger! bugger.

treff

Hi stokke, well that remains to be seen lol. I think the first bevel did break but not the rest. It did put me off what was actually happening.
I should video all my flights then I would have known the sequence of events. Bit of a bummer but at least I know what's going on now.
I would send this servo back to the supplier but all my files have gone from a faulty computer so I will have to stand the cost of a new one.
Any ideas on a good HV tail servo that does not cost more than the heli lol.

murankar

Staff member
Good find there guy. Hope you get your servo soon and get back into the air.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

treff

Yes chuffed in one way and pissed off in another lol Sent for a cheapo servo, cheapo is a relative term I like to use in front of the wife lol

Yes chuffed in one way and pissed off in another lol Sent for a cheapo servo, cheapo is a relative term I like to use in front of the wife lol

Haha, I like that Treff, cheapo to the wife. Been using that term myself to build this HK450.. I'm pleased she doesn't come on RC-help to read my posts...

Hope you get it sorted mate..

treff

Just an update to my Agile 5.5. I have fitted a new tail servo, bevel gear and new tail blades after my last calamity. I also took the opportunity to have a look at the torque tube drive and I found a split rubber
damper that was the cause of noise and vibs in the tube. That was replaced and I had a test flight this afternoon. It really was a different helicopter. Very, very smooth and quiet. I dropped the head speed to
50% across the board and it was like flying a fixed pitched helicopter. It was quite amazing, no vibes at all in the tail. I fitted Align blades because they were easier to get and only a days waiting for the post so
that also could make a difference they are lighter than the originals. I have sent the faulty servo back to Steveshobbies in Germany and hope that he will replace the faulty servo because it caused me a lot of woes.
So hopefully that's me fixed up for some time but I really do like that Warp 550 lol

thats fantastic news Treff, really pleased you finally got that bird sorted out now... well done mate

video or it never happened.... you know the drill....haha

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
Glad its working now. You should be able to finally enjoy it. Go get some stick time and get used to it.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Stambo

Nothing beats the satisfaction of finding a problem and having a bird finally fly properly.
Well done Treff and enjoy your flying. :)

treff

Thanks a lot lads for all the info and encouragement. Looking forward now to a few good flights.

Top Bottom