General At a complete loss

Westy

LEGEND
NOPE... Still MIA - IN TRANSIT!

As a Consolation prize the guy I turned off from buying my Trex 600 .... got a KDS ..... ran 20 bats through it and called me for some more advice ... So I suggested to Get a Trex 450 DFC Pro. He as assembled it and had freighted it up to me to set up the ESC, TAIL, DS7s and 3Gx for him...... and WE have discussed things further and I have convinced him to ge ta Goblin 500 !!!!! YEAH ..... Go TEam WEsty!

treff

Thanks again guys for a whole lot of good sense coments. Of course your right about this heli. Ya fix one thing another thing goes. It a trea.dmill. I was thinking of joining Lee's camp and getting a Warp 360 as my next buy. Great design and engineering...........................but those skids. LOL Anyway I have done a few more mods to the wee beasty but still got that tail vibration so it's going to be just one more strip down/ rebuild, if it still the same then it going to be a hang up model in the workshop. Thanks again guys.

Dirk

Hi Treff,

Chuck that thing in the bin. I have done about two dozen flights on my Align 450 DFC. Has not missed a beat. Runs like a Swiss? watch. There has not been any need for maintenance either. Nothing broken, falling off or flying off.

- - - Updated - - -

Just wondering about something Treff. Have you checked the tail drive shaft? Does it have a bearing in the tail boom around the centre somewhere? Maybe it has moved causing the tail drive shaft to whip. How about the shaft on the motor? Also straight with no run-out?

treff

Hi Dirk thanks for the suggestion. My heli is............................was a belt drive...................well it was until this evening LOL. My biggest smackdown to date. I completely lost my way flying for a few seconds. The saving grace was that it hit a tree top before the ground and I had a chance to hit the throttle hold. Lots of damage. The main shaft has more bend in than a banana. Head trashed. strangely the tail and boom are not marked (lucky) lol Lots of things need replacing. I think I will take the opportunity of retiring this bird and hang it up in my workshop. A reminder of what superb engineering comes out of the far east.
I think my mistake is I try to push on to quickly with the learning process. I was trying to do a circuit........................a bit to soon by all accounts. Thank goodness for the high trees in the garden. LOL Anyway it's back to square one as such. Rebuild or buy that is the question LOL Cheers.

DAL2855

Banned
Probably be cheaper to buy a whole new bird than fix that one but that's just my opinion! Yeah I did that same thing the other day too Treff! As soon as it got sideways in the downwind leg of the circuit I completely lost orientation and lost it! But my depth perception seems to give me issues once the bird turns sideways in either direction! Which really sucks!

Dirk

Oh man! Sorry to hear about your mishap there Treff. We've all tried to run before we could walk. Been there, done that. I've been following your "issues" with this heli for a while now. You have waaay more patience than I have.

You will not be sorry if you get an Align 450, trust me. Mine has been sweet from day one!

A good way to fly circuits initially is to fly around yourself while turning your body around to follow the heli. That way, the heli is always in a "familiar" position except that you are actually doing a circuit. You don't have to worry about any nose-in nasties either. Keep the circuit nice and slow initially and try to maintain a constant height. When you are familiar with going around one way, change the direction and go the other way. Later on, start doing figure 8's. It worked for me in the beginning.

Oh, and do try and stay away from the trees! They tend to put a spanner in the works!

Westy

LEGEND
Hey Treff.....

Yep..... Dump it and get a decent Align or Goblin or ALZRC or something. ..... You can buy really good Second hand (EVEN NEW) Trex 450 and even 500 Flybared versions as everone is wanting the DFC model now .... so a good opportunity to get into it cheaper.

yep .... you just can't afford to go adventuring out there until you have got your basics in all 4 orientations.... SORTED!

Check out Radds School of Rotary Flight if you want to NOT spend any more money on Smashing and want to learn a good way to fly with least damage possible.

I had the same issues and got sick of crashing ... since learning the "Disciplined Approach" I have jumped a thousand times better ......

treff

Thanks guys for the nice replies. I was getting bored just hovering back and for so I ventured out a little far and it was to windy really to fly, gusting about 15mph. One needs a bit of adventure at times LOL. What to do next is the problem. I have just brought a new computer that knocked a big hole in 2 thousand pounds so I am frightened of anymore big boxes turning up at the house LOL. You've got to laugh. I will have to think up a very good excuse for UPS to call at the house again but I am very tempted. Yes, I am also struggling with orientation when the birds is sideways on. It's strange when I fly aircraft I have no problems even when flying inverted. I do fly mode 4 when flying aircraft and mode 2 when flying helicopters so I think I am finding this difficult especially when the panic sets in LOL I need to go one way or the other. I have flown mode four for over 30 years so it's pretty well ingrain. Well guys another sob story draws to a conclusion. Lessons have been learned AGAIN!. Still lots of enjoyment except fitting that bloody little bolt in the main gear. The times I have dropped it and it as stuck to the motor. Drives me nuts LOL. Thanks again for the comments all very much appreciated. Cheers.
Just one post comment. How can you crash and do so much damage, even the block is trashed and yet there is not a single scratch on the main blades. Just a thought.

Last edited:

xokia

I'd get an align. Personally I think goblins look nice but they are like everything german WAY over engineered. Maybe you have a goblin part store close by though? That's the other reason I wont buy one I dont want to wait for the mailman to arrive.

A trex is nice but if you are still learning orientation wouldn't a smaller and cheaper helicopter work out for you? Do you have the blade stuff available to you out there? The 130x helped me immensly and takes a serious beating as long as you leave it stock. The 300x is also a next step. It's really a piece of junk heli but flys quite well and is really cheap to fix. When you done you can rip the AR7200BX off and stick it on a better bird. Around here you can pick the BNF version of the 300x for $230 shipped to your door.

Graham Lawrie

Sorry to hear about the crash Treff:) I have had two last weekend blades only:) I love Align and could not see past them. Recently i flew a Proto 500 and man was that bird stable, that said 300x does take a hammering:)

Dirk

treff;609322 I am frightened of anymore big boxes turning up at the house LOL.[/QUOTE said:
Don't worry, the Align 450 box is tiny!! No one will notice. Lmao!!

- - - Updated - - -

I am frightened of anymore big boxes turning up at the house LOL.

Don't worry about that Treff. The box is TINY! No one will notice! Lmfao

Lee

First time i tried to do a circuit, it ended up behind me and i lost it. Bent a few bits and bobs on that crash :D

Tony

Staff member
Thanks guys for the nice replies. I was getting bored just hovering back and for so I ventured out a little far and it was to windy really to fly, gusting about 15mph. One needs a bit of adventure at times LOL. What to do next is the problem. I have just brought a new computer that knocked a big hole in 2 thousand pounds so I am frightened of anymore big boxes turning up at the house LOL. You've got to laugh. I will have to think up a very good excuse for UPS to call at the house again but I am very tempted. Yes, I am also struggling with orientation when the birds is sideways on. It's strange when I fly aircraft I have no problems even when flying inverted. I do fly mode 4 when flying aircraft and mode 2 when flying helicopters so I think I am finding this difficult especially when the panic sets in LOL I need to go one way or the other. I have flown mode four for over 30 years so it's pretty well ingrain. Well guys another sob story draws to a conclusion. Lessons have been learned AGAIN!. Still lots of enjoyment except fitting that bloody little bolt in the main gear. The times I have dropped it and it as stuck to the motor. Drives me nuts LOL. Thanks again for the comments all very much appreciated. Cheers.
Just one post comment. How can you crash and do so much damage, even the block is trashed and yet there is not a single scratch on the main blades. Just a thought.

Treff, I know it's boring to fly back and forth, but trust me, I did a LOT of research before deciding on how to put my flight school together. I took ideas from every "help" video that I found as well as articles, and I put it in words in a way that I could follow. It's simple, to the point, doesn't force you to move on, but teaches you in a way that if you have to, you can cut the throttle and save the heli.

at this time, I'm only up to moving around tail in in a hover. I'm getting ready to finish this series with the last 6 videos, maybe more if I add more to it which I think I am. It's worth it to follow along. You need to get not only muscle memory, but also wrap your head around the different orientations that the heli will be in. And that just takes time!

Pick yourself up an Align kit, put your kit troubles in the past and just worry about flying.

First time i tried to do a circuit, it ended up behind me and i lost it. Bent a few bits and bobs on that crash :D

Lee, I think we have all done that lol. when it happened to me, my helicopter ended up on top of the house. lol

treff

Thanks again guys for the nice comments and remarks. I must also bow a knee to all the learned fellows here on this site. Westy my little weighting scales arrived today so I popped on my main blades. There was over half a gram difference between the two blades. Would this cause much vibration? I also noticed when inspecting the damaged bird that the gyro is not working. There is no physical damage, it just drives the rudder servo to one end. I plugged the servo directly into the rx and works perfect so I can only assume the gyro is kaput. I thought it was me that sent the helicopter into a spin. Food for thought there. I do have a spare of the same make so will do more testing. Tony I have watched your very good videos and will try to curb those rushes of blood that tend to overwhelm me every now and then. LOL. I must be more disciplined when I'm flying helicopters my wallet wont take it. Cheers

Slobberdog

Treff if the gyro is in Heading Hold mode it will drive it one way its waiting for a reaction from the heli to the correction input its putting in, try it in Rate mode and see if it centres

treff

Hi Slobberdog. Thanks for the reply. I have tried that and in rate mode I get nothing. The servo does not move. When I plug it directly into the rx with out the gyro, perfect, no problems. Very strange, maybe the impact caused some of the electronics to fail. The main shaft is certainly very bent LOL as is the feathering shaft. Cheers

Tony

Staff member
Half a gram is not going to make much difference. Make sure to check the cog of the blades as well.

treff

Thanks Tony for the info. I've been studying your excellent video on blade balancing. I'm having electronic problems at the moment and it turned out to be faulty plug on rx. The crimping was not done properly when it was made and the crash made the fault show up. I was wondering if it happened before the crash or after. I'll never know. Anyway rebuild underway, got to have something to fly while I save for something better. No more HK. In the long run as everyone suggests, it really doesn't pay. Thanks again for the help.

Top Bottom