FBL Gyro Assan GA250 - Setup Help

heli-maniac

what problem are you still having with it
the assan gyro is much better than the gy48
i have a used one left that ill sale for 15.00 and i know it works

Peter Neal

Yes all the hype around this gyro is why I bought it in the first place. I just cannot get this gyro give me a steady hover in either heading hold or rate mode. I have followed Tony's instructions to the letter and still no joy.

Thanks for the sale offer but will decline - I have emptied the spare change in the wallet on a quad-copter and extra batteries so its back to beans on toast for me for a while :topsy_turvy:

Peter Neal

Super Bad - My last post probably did not explain myself in the "correct" technical terms. I do know what a gyro does - so rephrasing my last post - During a hover the gyro is not functioning to stop/ limit any yaw whether I am flying in HH or Rate mode.

Westy

LEGEND
Super Bad - My last post probably did not explain myself in the "correct" technical terms. I do know what a gyro does - so rephrasing my last post - During a hover the gyro is not functioning to stop/ limit any yaw whether I am flying in HH or Rate mode.

Hi Peter,
If you have set up the mechanical setup perfectly and set up your gyro correctly it will hold nicely.

how far out from the centre of your tail servo arm is your tail ball joint going back to your Tail slider assembly? I should be about 8mm.

what is your gain set to?
do you have full range of movement in rate mode from left to right?

Have you had the tail wagging and then backed it off a few points?

What is your gain set to on your radio?

Cheers,
Westy

Tony

Staff member
This gyro is not the easiest one I have seen to setup. What servo are you running? If it's slower than about .08sec, then it may not be fast enough. It's been a while and I have not re read the thread. too much going on right now lmao.

heli-maniac

i was thinking the same thing as Tony on the servo but then again its a cheep 20 dollar gyro and has to have a perfect set up to work right

Westy

LEGEND
Tony .... Super Bad ..... you guys a good.... That was my next thought.

Tail servos are better if they are digital and 0.08 or better and have enough torque ....

Tony

Staff member
With the Assan gyro, it's like the Align gyros and the servo HAS to be digital. It will burn up an analog servo.

murankar

Staff member
When I set up my Assan GA250 I first made sure that the tail did not drift left or right mechanically first. This includes getting your sub-trim set and getting the push rod to a length that keeps the tail from drifting. Then I started with my gains at HH 65 rate 35. I then set the travel limits in the gyro with my servo travel set to 100, you maybe able to set the servo travel to max first then set the gyro travel. Then you will need to do some test hovers and see what kind of wag you may have in the tail. I used both the Savox SH 1257 MG and the Align DS520 which are both digital servos.

I personally was never able to get the tail to lock in. I am not sure if it was due to a faulty gyro or me. I finally upgraded my gyro to the JR G270 3D and have not had many issues at all. I did have a few at the beginning due to setup, but those were soon fixed. I know you can get the Align gyros for cheap in comparison to what I have now. You just need to find them, check ebay or the for sale section here to see whats available. I know Lee had a gyro for sale but not sure if he still has it.

Westy

LEGEND
Get a better Gyro and Know you are going to get good Tail holding right out of the box .. Some of those Gyros have a hot glue fix .... cause hte board moves inside the casing and causes the Gyro to not get a good reading on heading position.

I picked up a used Curtis Youngblood for $30USD Shipper Direct to me in NZ :) was a steal I know .... as they are RRP $139USD

but you can pick up the Futaba GY520 mems (awesome gyros) for $60 bucks or less..... other good ones like the Quark ... the Align 780 is good too.

Let me know if you want me to hunt you down a good deal .... I am the Bargain Hunting legend! haha

The Key is ... if a fresh deal is a hot price ... you ned to pull the trigger on the purchase in the first 15 - 30 mins or it is long gone!

Cheers
Westy

- - - Updated - - -

you need to set up Mechanical nuetral first ...... here is how I do it .... But I am sure Tony does it too .... well I would think so.

This one os on my Curtis Youngblood Mini G ....... But you will get the idea on the neutral tail method I use with the blades.

- - - Updated - - -

you need to set up Mechanical nuetral first ...... here is how I do it .... But I am sure Tony does it too .... well I would think so.

This one os on my Curtis Youngblood Mini G ....... But you will get the idea on the neutral tail method I use with the blades.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom