FBL Gyro Assan GA250 - Setup Help

Peter Neal

G'Day All

I am having some trouble setting up my new Assan GA250 gyro with an Align DS420 digital tail servo on my E-Razor 450.

The problem is that I can only get the gyro to lock into Heading Hold mode (solid blue light) after I enter some slight rudder trim or sub-trim on the DX6i.

I cannot seem to be able to set up the gyro with all sub trims and trims set to zero.

My first couple of flights have noticeable tail drift which I think might be linked to the slight trim/ sub trim I have entered to get the gyro to lock into HH mode???

I have also tried lowering and increasing the gyro gain for HH mode but seem end up with this set at about 55%. Any higher and tail wag starts becoming an issue.

The tail servo and horn appear to be 90 degrees to the naked eye but maybe this is the issue?

Any suggestions to resolve this?

Cheers

Pete

murankar

Staff member
First of all you will need to set this gyro up in rate mode. Do all tail adjustments first then once you have that then flip into head hold mode. Now under your gyro sensor settings rate mode is anything under 50%, start at 35%. Head hold mode (blue light) is anything above 50%, start at 65%. Now once you get this thing hovering adjust as needed to stabilize your tail.

As for the servo, to set it for the ds420
After powering on your heli the gyro will flash a blue light a few times. during this time you will need to throw the head hold switch three times quickly.
eventually you should see a flashing red light. If it flashes once then you are good to go for your ds420, if not move the rudder stick to switch the mode. You want the
light to flash only once per cycle. It can flash as many times as 4 per cycle.

To program:
you will need to hold the rudder stick to the left and throw the head hold switch 3 times quickly, that will put you in program mode.
then release the rudder stick.
You start in the reversing program, default is normal (one blue and one red flash), reverse is one blue and two red flashes.
flip the head hold switch twice, that will put you in high end points adjustments
flip the head hold switch twice, that will put you in low end points adjustments
flip the head hold switch three times to exit programing mode.

Tony

Staff member
I know it's hard with teh micro print they send with the gyro, but the instructions will walk you through everything. Took me forever to get it right lol. Lets see what I can do...

As stated, set up a low rate on teh gyro switch and set it at 35%. This is the only way you can program the gyro (flipping from rate to hh mode quickly per instructions). Once in there, you will set your servo type (the instructions will tell you what Hz to set that servo on) and reverse the gyro if needed. Then, you need to set the end points of the servo. I want to say that somewhere in there, you can adjust the center point where you don't have to run any sub trim, but I may be wrong, it's been a while since I messed with this gyro.

If you have to use sub trim to center the gyro for a solid light, do so. Just remember to unplug the heli after you do it, and let the gyro reinitialize. I as well had to run a very low rate on that gyro (mine was 56% on average). So don't worry about that unless the tail is not holding.

Hope this helps. Let us know if we can do anything else.

murankar

Staff member
Centering of the tail is done mechanically. I have not found a way to set center with this gyro. It is very important to get the mechanical center correct before attempting head hold mode.

RomHeli

Hi Guys,

I've been struggling with setting up one of these Gyros as well which was on a HK450Gt heli I got from Slovakia via eBay. I downloaded the PDF manual and this excellent set up video Prior to delivery 4 Days Ago:

http://www.rc-help.com/showthread.php/3108-Assan-GA250-Setup-Help?highlight=Assan+GA250>

FYI: I'm using a NEW Savox SH-0257 Micro Size Digital on the tail. DX6i is switched to Rate mode at 35%.

The gyro is disconnected for the following set up as per manual and video instructions.

I have programmed the Savox servo Type - 3 Blue flashes = for 1520 µsec/ 200hz as explained in the video without any problem.
Power Off and connect the servo to the gyro.

Power on. Blue flashes for 3-4 seconds and then 3 RED FLashes - I'm back into the Servo Set up mode. I have tried on nunerous occasions and always the same result - back into Servo setup mode each and everytime regardless!

It is impossible to set the Gyro Direction Reversing AND the end points. I've also tried to set this gyro up using a NEW Futaba S9253 - 1 Blue Flash for 1520 µsec/ 300hz - and guess what - still the same result - Back into Servo setup mode. I cannot configure Direction Reversing or the End points so this Gyro is, at the moment, JUNK and headed towards the Rubbish Bin - File 13!!

What do you think Peeps...Have I bought a Dud Assan GA-250?

Tony

Staff member
There are two setup menus in teh GA250. Since it's been so long since I had this gyro, I can't exactly remember, but the way they explain it in This Manual is the correct way. You will hold the rudder stick to teh left or right and cycle the gyro switch 3 times to enter the menu. Make sure you have one setting to rate mode and one setting to HH mode though. If you are using the Dx6i set position 0 to 35% and position 1 to 65%. If you need anymore help, just let me know and I will start digging. I'm actualy out eating right now, so I'm trying to slack off on work hahaha.

RomHeli

Hi Tony - Thanks for your quick response.

Your 'This Manual' link IS the Very Same PDF Manual that I have on File here. Easy to follow and understand as is the Excellent Video.

DX6i Gyro Rate And Hold setings are set up EXACTLY as you described above.

I am Rapidly loosing my KOOL over this cheapy Gyro and keep remembering that you only get what you pay for in life. If you buy cheap you will buy twice! I feel I am very close to the point of 'Buying Twice' - KWIM? (FYI: Know What I Mean)

I do feel that I've been caught out here with this THING and, if this BUG cannot be resolved, it will for sure be disposed of in File 13.

murankar

Staff member
The thing with this gyro is that you have to wait till the gyro has initialized prior to the setup. Plug in your battery then wait about 45 seconds to minute. This will ensure your gyro is initialized. The hold left rudder and flip the switch three times. Release the rudder and you should be good to go.

If this is done to early you will enter servo setup. Hope this helps.

Tony

Staff member
If you want my brutal honest opinion, I would suggest finding a used GP790. You can get them for around $45 and then you will just spend another $50 on the DS520 tail servo and you will be set for life. I'm running the 3GX gyro on my Align with the DS520 tail servo and this thing is locked in like you wouldn't imagine. As you stated, with china, you will buy twice. With Align, It's like Ron Popile(sp), you just set it and forget it lol. Let us know how it goes with it. I did however have pretty decent luck with my ga250 but that's not saying much lmao.

RomHeli

Well The ASS AN is in the Bin. It just will NOT do what it's meant to do in the programing stage. Thanks for your comment Tony and I think I' will go down that track.
I do have a Futaba 520 which was planned for something else and I may be tempted to try this first. What do you think: Yes or No?

Tony

Staff member
Futaba 520? Do you mean the Futaba 9457? The 520 I was referring to is made by Align. It's a coreless digital tail servo.

RomHeli

Well The ASS AN is in the Bin. It just will NOT do what it's meant to do in the programing stage. Thanks for your comment Tony and I think I' will go down that track.
I do have a Futaba 520 which was planned for something else and I may be tempted to try this first. What do you think: Yes or No?

Forgot to ask ref Servo. I'm sure I know this answer but, in your opinion, which servo would be better; Futaba S9253 or the Savox 0257.I do NOT fly 3D...yet!

- - - Updated - - -

Sorry - should have given you the Full info. Spare Gyro is a Futaba GY520 with either S9253 OR Savox 0257 servo. Thanks

Tony

Staff member
If you run the Futaba, make sure your voltage is below 4.8 or right at it. They do not like higher voltage than that and will burn up. The Savox I would not use, it's just too slow for a tail. IMO, I would get the Align DS520. I know and use the servo and it will handle 6 volts. So my vote is for neither of them lol.

RomHeli

Thanks Tony.
So the Assan Gyro is in the bin and the Savox 0257 servo is now an odd part in the spares locker!

Thanks for your help guys ..Much appreciated

Peter Neal

Although I requested some advice some time back, I have given up trying to setup the Assan GA250 gyro. Not sure whether there is an actual fault with the unit itself but I think that the fault is probably the operator. Thanks to those that provided some help and feedback to my original post. I have reverted back to the old GY48V gyro :(

Top Bottom