FBL Gyro AR7200bx and Ikon curiosity

Derek

I know that the AR7200 is a 7 channel receiver and flybarless control system, in one unit. That is one of the big reasons that the AR7200 is so popular. I understand that it's a great unit for heli's of all sizes. Awesome!

Now...the Ikon.

I've been, briefly, looking at the Ikon web site and I read that it has two ports for two Spektrum satellite receivers. It says:

Satellite & S-Bus Ready - It's Your Choice.

Allowing the convenience of satellite technology, the iKon supports Spektrum DSM2 & DSMX satellite receivers, along with S-Bus technology via Futaba. On the Spektrum side, (2) satellite ports are offered for maximum redundancy & path diversity, suited for helicopters 500 sized and greater.

Does this mean that the Ikon can also be a receiver and flybarless control system? Or am I misunderstanding this? What are the satellite rx ports for on the Ikon?

Thanks guys!!!

Tony

Staff member
As far as this goes, the Ikon and the 3GX are the exact same. The BX has an AR7200 Rx built into it that is a stand alone Rx with the gyro also in the same case. All you have to do on teh BX is pur a single satellite on it, and you should use two satellites on either the ikon or the 3GX. For anything over a 500 that is. Or should I say, 500 and up.

Derek

That's pretty cool! How does the Ikon work? I was under the impression that the Ikon was a stand alone gyro, therefore the model would also need a separate rx. That's what raised my curiosity when I read that the Ikon has two satellite ports.

Tony

Staff member
It is a stand alone gyro. The satellites are used as your rx as Jesse stated. No matter what way you go, you will still use a satellite. The ar7200bx only has 1 satellite port, but the 3GX and Ikon have two. And the 3GX and ikon can be used with futaba via S-Bus.

Derek

OK.

So...the AR7200bx is an rx and gyro in one unit. Got it!

The Ikon (and 3gx) are gyro units that you can plug satellite rx's into the units and not need a separate rx?

Do I understand this now?

Tony

Staff member
With your DX8 that is. If you want to do this with a 6ch Tx, you MUST use a Rx.

Derek

I would use my DX8, for sure...but why would it not work with a 6 channel tx?

Tony

Staff member
Actually, I'm not sure on that for the ikon or bx. But on the 3GX, when you use satellites only, the gyro gain is on channel 7. If you use a separate Rx, then the gyro gain is on channel 5.

Derek

Ok, that makes sense.

Ya know.....lately......each time I come to the forum with a question (or three), I end up asking another question and another question. It's a vicious cycle, lol. I'm grateful that I'm tolerated, lol. There are just so many options available and my interest gets peaked. So much fun!!!

pj1969

Interesting thread guys, I'm just in the process of changing my beastx clone gyro on my goblin and was told about the ar7200, but the ikon has a "bail out" on it doesn't it? So if I get into trouble, it will right its self? Does the SPEKTRUM gave such a thing?? They are both the same kinda money, the SPEKTRUM has lifetime warranty though??

Lee

On the Ikon, in the set up menu, you can tell it you are using a 6ch radio and set it up accordingly without the need of a separate RX.It just allows you to set up the gyro gain as a fixed setting to free up a channel.

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Interesting thread guys, I'm just in the process of changing my beastx clone gyro on my goblin and was told about the ar7200, but the ikon has a "bail out" on it doesn't it? So if I get into trouble, it will right its self? Does the SPEKTRUM gave such a thing?? They are both the same kinda money, the SPEKTRUM has lifetime warranty though??

Ikon has a self level (SL) it will upright the heli for you but after that you will have to give it pitch. The Beast X does not offer that, but is one great gyro.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
beastx is channel 7 too

Ikon defaults to channel 7 but it can be changed and assigned any which way you want. You can assign to any switch you like :)

Top Bottom