FBL Gyro Anyone with Ikon issues, be aware.

Lee

Make sure you have the plugs in the correct way before adding power.

We have had a 8% returning rate with not functioning units. Of those 90% were burned by reverse polarity from user.

Factory defect rate is around 0,8%

That is the main reason why we introduced polarity protection.

Westy

LEGEND
Are you talking about the main feed polarity? or can an incorrectly inserted Servo connector blow it as well?

Ken Jackson

Speaking of IKon, I am setting up my first. Why don't they call the servos by what they are? I've looked through the documentation and maybe I'm missing it but what servo is what? Servo 1 = pitch?? Servo 2 = Aileron ??

Help

Westy

LEGEND
Depends on your servo setup....
If you have the following setup......
Ikon SErvos.jpg

Then it is:
SRV 1 = Aileron
SRV 2 = Elevator
SRV 3 = Pitch

I am doing a tutorial .... Cause there is not a lot on the IKON out there..... So hey .... why not right?
I am doing my first one also .... and thought a few things were taken for granted and not explained.

So I am going to do one on everything from connecting up to PC Loading and confirming Drivers, Coonfirming correct COM port Selection ... plugging in and powering up configuration.

Ikon SErvos.jpg

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
Speaking of IKon, I am setting up my first. Why don't they call the servos by what they are? I've looked through the documentation and maybe I'm missing it but what servo is what? Servo 1 = pitch?? Servo 2 = Aileron ??

Help

on tab 6 you select your swashtype and configure from there. usually pitch is on your left and aileron is on your right when looking at the heli from the tail end. For swashtype on your TX make sure you select 1 servo normal. let me know if that helps

- - - Updated - - -

on tab 6 you select your swashtype and configure from there. usually pitch is on your left and aileron is on your right when looking at the heli from the tail end. For swashtype on your TX make sure you select 1 servo normal. let me know if that helps

LOL..westy! you posted while I was typing.

- - - Updated - - -

Depends on your servo setup....
If you have the following setup......
View attachment 6975

Then it is:
SRV 1 = Aileron
SRV 2 = Elevator
SRV 3 = Pitch

I am doing a tutorial .... Cause there is not a lot on the IKON out there..... So hey .... why not right?
I am doing my first one also .... and thought a few things were taken for granted and not explained.

So I am going to do one on everything from connecting up to PC Loading and confirming Drivers, Coonfirming correct COM port Selection ... plugging in and powering up configuration.

Do leave out the "windows H8" version of driver installing..lol

- - - Updated - - -

Make sure you have the plugs in the correct way before adding power.

We have had a 8% returning rate with not functioning units. Of those 90% were burned by reverse polarity from user.

Factory defect rate is around 0,8%

That is the main reason why we introduced polarity protection.

I believe the new version's are polarity sensitive..Correct!

Westy

LEGEND
I don't have Win 8 .,.. Don't like it as not supportive of normal computing .... pain butt really!

I dont like win 7 64 bit either as anything that tries to control what drivers I can or cant load .... is total JUNK in y opinion.... who cares what the "Jones's" are doing .... I am reasonably happy with Win 7 32bit ... and that is what I shall stick with until they sort out all the new rubbish!

- - - Updated - - -

I believe the new version's are polarity sensitive..Correct!

Is that when you have updated the Firmware to the latest version too?

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I don't have Win 8 .,.. Don't like it as not supportive of normal computing .... pain butt really!

I dont like win 7 64 bit either as anything that tries to control what drivers I can or cant load .... is total JUNK in y opinion.... who cares what the "Jones's" are doing .... I am reasonably happy with Win 7 32bit ... and that is what I shall stick with until they sort out all the new rubbish!

- - - Updated - - -

Is that when you have updated the Firmware to the latest version too?

Correct! I want to go back to XP...I don't care about all those other stuff. I am not to sure about loading the software and it will be polarity sensitive, I have not went deep into looking it up since I got all mine setup already. I guess as a precaution, when you post your "IKON how to vid" just indicate to have the signal wire facing up, no matter the version.

Sorry! on the top post I meant " aren't polarity sensitive".

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
how do you ID a 1001 release? I am looking at mine and there is no serial on it...... Might check on the software and see if you can ID it there

Ken Jackson

Awesome Westy. Look forward to your tutorial. Why don't they just call them Pitch, Aileron and elevator. Makes no sense the other way. Guess they want to be different from the rest, Duh!

Lol
Ken

Flying a lot if planes lately, cheaper to fix. Built a second 500, that's what I'm putting the IKon on. My other 500 is done waiting parts.

Lee

The new Ikon has an updated front to the housing. I'm not 100% sure but i think the new case happened at the same time as the polarity protection.

Old one with the white goo
RCHR-A1e-iKon-FBL-System.jpg

New one has a slanted front
product_thumb.php

Last edited:

xokia

Both of the pictured Ikons Lee has are V1 without polarity protection. The V2 has a ramped front instead of a stepped front.

I myself don't know what they mean by polarity protection either. The center wire is positive for a reason so it can't be placed in the wrong location. The other two wires are ground and a pulsed digital signal that goes to 0 (ground) so I don't know how the units are blowing if they are plugged in backwards.

Now maybe they are referring to the wires being depinned and then plug in backwards?

This is a V2 ikon with polarity protection notice the ramp
9343B400-EE7E-4471-8020-8CB41B29833C-10469-000007D624D68ED2_zps58b6b594.jpg

Last edited:

Westy

LEGEND
Yeah, I can't figure it out either .... I thought it was impossible to get a circuit to run if you had it upside down as the the Centre pin is +ve .....

Maybe the signal bus will fry if it gets fed backwards?

where is all the information on this issue ... I would like to do some research.

Ken Jackson

Yeah, I can't figure it out either .... I thought it was impossible to get a circuit to run if you had it upside down as the the Centre pin is +ve .....

Maybe the signal bus will fry if it gets fed backwards?

where is all the information on this issue ... I would like to do some research.

I'm an electrician by trade. Even though the positive is in the center reversing polarity will cause a back feed into the signal circuit. The problem is current flow. This will happen regardless whether it is plugged in right or not. The problem is the signal circuit cannot handle any current flow, therefore burnt up gyro channel.

The new IKon has a shunt circuit built in so if you do hook it up backwards the signal circuit is protected from current flow.

Ok regarding the pictures, I have the IKon with the slopped front. Mine came out of the box with a sticker warning to observe proper polarity or the unit could be damaged. So much for the slopped front theory. I would suggest to IKon that they put the indicators of pin position on the side of the case not the top. WTF is it on the top for anyway?

Have most of my set up done. Need to work on panel 4, panel 10 and panel 12 which is the flying style set up. How do you switch between the 3 different set ups?

Ken

Westy when will that IKon set up video be done, Lol!

- - - Updated - - -

3GX pin indicators are not clearly marked either, I'm pretty sure they have polarity protection because I hooked mine up wrong a couple times and no problems. Both the IKon and the 3GX the signal pin is on top and ground on the bottom. Having said that obviously it depends how its mounted so my reference to top is the side that shows the labels for each channel.

Last edited:

Lee

To switch between flight modes, you need to assign a three position switch to the Channel controlling flight modes. I have mine assigned to a two position switch, cause i only need two flight mode. Hard 3D and Hard 3D with auto level.

wolfman76

i have the one without the sloped front msh brain same thing as ikon though only mine is black.. and i thought you could only put in correct way since there is that lil slit servo wires have so they only go in one way even on receivers negative is always on the bottom right! Is what i thought anyways..

Island Breeze

Senior Rc-Help Member
I'm an electrician by trade. Even though the positive is in the center reversing polarity will cause a back feed into the signal circuit. The problem is current flow. This will happen regardless whether it is plugged in right or not. The problem is the signal circuit cannot handle any current flow, therefore burnt up gyro channel.

The new IKon has a shunt circuit built in so if you do hook it up backwards the signal circuit is protected from current flow.

Ok regarding the pictures, I have the IKon with the slopped front. Mine came out of the box with a sticker warning to observe proper polarity or the unit could be damaged. So much for the slopped front theory. I would suggest to IKon that they put the indicators of pin position on the side of the case not the top. WTF is it on the top for anyway?

Have most of my set up done. Need to work on panel 4, panel 10 and panel 12 which is the flying style set up. How do you switch between the 3 different set ups?

Ken

Westy when will that IKon set up video be done, Lol!

- - - Updated - - -

3GX pin indicators are not clearly marked either, I'm pretty sure they have polarity protection because I hooked mine up wrong a couple times and no problems. Both the IKon and the 3GX the signal pin is on top and ground on the bottom. Having said that obviously it depends how its mounted so my reference to top is the side that shows the labels for each channel.

you can set it up thru your GYRO switch and then put your gyro settings to your flight mode. I use only two bank switch one for 3D and the other is my SL.

Ken Jackson

To switch between flight modes, you need to assign a three position switch to the Channel controlling flight modes. I have mine assigned to a two position switch, cause i only need two flight mode. Hard 3D and Hard 3D with auto level.

What switch did you use, the trainer switch? And what channel? Also do you still use your idol up switch? I figured the gyro switch. I had mine set to AUX2 which is what the 3GX uses, the IKon uses the gear channel for gyro switch.

Last edited:

Lee

Aux2 on the trainer switch. Still use idle up on the top left switch in front of the trainer switch.

Top Bottom