another 450 fbl flight with questions

hi guys, went flying today, got through 5 lipos today. enjoyed getting back to flying again.

got a couple of questions about this flight

1. when the sky gets into frame the ground goes black and you cant see the heli, is there a setting in a camera that can put this right? it happens on all my cameras..

2. during a pirouette the heli isnt stable anymore, if you look at the vid around 4:10 you will see 2 piros, the second worst one, It drops and banks left after a piro, any ideas would be appreciated, ive got the Kbar gyro on still.

im still not too good on orientation, but i guess this is going to take loads of practice !!!!

thanks guys

Last edited by a moderator:

treff

Hi Tony I can tell you about the camera. When the sky is in the frame, the sky is much brighter than the ground so the camera exposes for the sky or at least tries to compensate for
the brightness. The more sky in the frame the darker the ground will go. If you can set you camera to manual exposure then you can set it for exposure of the ground only but of course the sky
will be overexposed when you point the camera upwards. You can also buy a graduated Neutral density filter to fit over the lens so that the exposure of the sky and ground is the same. The
ND filters can be quite expensive especially if you get and adjustable one and they are also prone to colour casting. Nice flying.

Hi Tony I can tell you about the camera. When the sky is in the frame, the sky is much brighter than the ground so the camera exposes for the sky or at least tries to compensate for
the brightness. The more sky in the frame the darker the ground will go. If you can set you camera to manual exposure then you can set it for exposure of the ground only but of course the sky
will be overexposed when you point the camera upwards. You can also buy a graduated Neutral density filter to fit over the lens so that the exposure of the sky and ground is the same. The
ND filters can be quite expensive especially if you get and adjustable one and they are also prone to colour casting. Nice flying.

Thanks Treff, that's a buga about the camera, the filter would have to be very small for the Möbius, I'll check out google for one..

Just checked google on this filter, lots of ideas, one is using the lense from some 3D glasses, so as I have loads of these I'll try that.. Apparently it reduces the "jello" too, whatever that is...lol

Last edited:

Lee

Nice job Tony.
With such a contrast between the sky and the dark ground, you're not going to be able to do much.
The dropping to the left could be one of 3 things.
1) CoG is not absolutely level.
2) Swash is not completely level.
3) The wind direction was pushing it.

stokke

My camera has the exact same problem, Tony. The only way to fix it is to get some expensive equipment - my guess at least.

Nice job Tony.
With such a contrast between the sky and the dark ground, you're not going to be able to do much.
The dropping to the left could be one of 3 things.
1) CoG is not absolutely level.
2) Swash is not completely level.
3) The wind direction was pushing it.

Thanks Lee, CoG is ok - Swash is pending, I'll go through the Vbar setup again which allows for mechanical changes, so I'll double check swash then - wasn't really a lot of wind around!

It does fly quite level without cyclic input (hands free) for a few seconds.. Which makes me think swash is ok, but it needs stripping and cleaning anyway before next flight so mechanical checks will be done.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks guys for the camera inputs, I'd rather spend my cash on new heli parts than new cameras...lol, guess I'll have to make do, the lens from 3d glasses didn't have any effect so I'll see if I can purchase the proper filters.

Ken Jackson

Those are all good mechanical suggestions regarding the drop. However you seem to think those are not the issue so my opinion and I do it myself all the time is as I'm pulling my rudder to spin I am also slightly pulling down on the same stick causing it to drop.

Those are all good mechanical suggestions regarding the drop. However you seem to think those are not the issue so my opinion and I do it myself all the time is as I'm pulling my rudder to spin I am also slightly pulling down on the same stick causing it to drop.

Thanks Ken. You've posted that the same time I'm writing an update...lol, yes I do the same quite regularly, but this was definitely the swashplate...

I stripped the head and used the swash levelling tool with the vbar software running, and it was out very slightly to one side, adjusted the settings and it's spot on now...

I've been out and video'd the results, I'll post the video soon, thanks for the input though mate...

UPDATE

Piros fixed, it was the swashplate, only slightly out but obviously enough to cause the problem

the following video shows its OK now but it was really windy today at times..

Last edited by a moderator:

Mda1701d

Nice flight, and great landing!
I am reading with interest about the pirouette issue, as my skoda seems to get moving alarmingly quickly when I mess with tail inputs! But then I am still very new to all this lol!

Nice flight, and great landing!
I am reading with interest about the pirouette issue, as my skoda seems to get moving alarmingly quickly when I mess with tail inputs! But then I am still very new to all this lol!

I've never heard of a skoda heli, maybe you should post a new thread with your issues, I'm certain it will get sorted, video of it in action would be a great help...

What are your dual rates set to for rudder? could need dropping somewhat...

Top Bottom