An Old Fart starting a new hobby

wigedd

Hi Tony and All,
My name is Eddie. I'm retired and to keep active I started to get involved in flying helicopters but ended up becoming a very good heli mechanic:distress: with a bruised and cut forearm from flying. lol:disillusionment:
I live in sunny Mesa, Arizona and started this hobby with the Blade mcx2 then a Blade 120sr and then to a mcpx2. The mcpx2 has so far been the best for truly enjoying flying and maintenance training.
Since then I have built an Align 250 Pro DFC and this project has been the most frustrating experience to date. It has also been the most learning experience. The effort to acquire more information on the setup and troubleshooting the Align 3GX flb controller has lead me to this forum which so far has provided better info than other forums I've checked. I'm really looking forward to the knowledge that the members can give an old fart (72) like me.:duh:

Lee

Welcome to the forum Eddie.
I have to say the 250 was the hardest heli I have had to date, to set up and fly well. Plenty of info on here though to get you going with the 3GX unit. I personally have not used it. I'm and IKON & BEASTX user.
Happy flying. :D

wigedd

Thank you Lee and Yes I am having a heck of a time with the 250. I have managed to successfully hover it about five times but currently I cannot get it to bind. Oh so much fun lol.

Lee

If you have the possibility to get something bigger like a 450/500 go for it. You will progress far faster with one of those. The difference in stability and ease of flying tuning and repairing compared to the 250 are huge. If thats not a possibility, then, no worries, we'll help you all we can. Tony and I have both had 250s, or "nightmare V2.0" as Tonys was called. LOL :D

EyeStation

Welcome Eddy! I am sure you will find all the information and friends you will need right here, like I have.
Lee: " Tony and I have both had 250s, or "nightmare V2.0" as Tonys was called." lol I am Sooo glad I passed up one of those then.

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum Eddie. As stated, the 250 is not the best of choices for those that are getting into ccpm. Honestly, the 450 or 500 is a better choice. With that said though, we will do what we can to help you out and to get that little guy in the air. I know I had a 250 once... ONCE! lmao.

:welcome1:

Tony

Staff member
If you have the possibility to get something bigger like a 450/500 go for it. You will progress far faster with one of those. The difference in stability and ease of flying tuning and repairing compared to the 250 are huge. If thats not a possibility, then, no worries, we'll help you all we can. Tony and I have both had 250s, or "nightmare V2.0" as Tonys was called. LOL :D

Actually, my 250 was Nightmare. The HK500GT was Nightmare 2.0 lmao. But, both were clones so you get what you pay for.

Derek

Welcome to the forum, Eddie! Glad to have you here!

I started flying rc heli's with a 4 channel coaxial helicopter. I got very good with it so I moved up to a Blade SR, which is comparable to a 250 (I think, lol) and I have to say....I hated that helicopter. I could never get that thing to be stable. I went shopping for a 450 sized helicopter and came home with a Trex 500e Super Combo. I still have it and still fly it. I love that helicopter. I just recently acquired a Trex 600e Pro DFC. I can't wait to fly it.

If you continue to stick with your 250, we'll surely try to help you out as best as we can.

Good luck buddy!!!

treff

Welcome Eddie from Wales. Another old fart here. I also spend more time repairing than flying I'm afraid. Age here is only 68 so you have a few more on me. Great hobby this, keeps me out of the pub, after paying for
spares I ain't got anymore money left ha, ha. Cheers

Top Bottom