AMA Licenses

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Good Afternoon, I went to the park this morning to go fly my bird but couldn't since i didn't have an AMA license. I have a 450 size heli and would like to know if a park flyer, $29.95, will be good enough to just fly around? Any input will be helpful!

murankar

Staff member
You can but you will assume any and all property damage. I flew my 450 in a park before I had my AMA. You should be good just make sure your flight area is clear of people and other obstacles.

pvolcko

The restrictions on AMA park flier memberships: "Aircraft must not exceed 2 pounds, 60 mph, and may not be powered with an internal combustion engine"

450 will very likely come in under the weight limit and while may be capable of 60mph (maybe?) it isn't likely to be flown at that speed. So I'd say yes. But 500 or larger or even a 6S 450 with a good size battery is going to put you either very close or over the weight limit.

And if this is an AMA sanctioned field you may want to check with the club that runs the field to see if they have any concerns.

murankar

Staff member
Just keep in mind that the AMA is more like insurance with the benefits of rights protection. AMA fights the government for us modelers. Now if you have an ascendent that damages property then you can file a claim with the AMA and they will pay a percentage of the damages. What they wont cover is the damage to the model.

Derek

It's also a good idea to fly with a spotter.

Sometimes I'll go out to my friends farm and fly around there without a spotter and that's because I would be in the middle of a 65acre field and no one is around. However, there are times that I do go to my local public parks and I also take someone with me to help keep an eye out for pedestrians or curious on-lookers.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
AMA memberships is relatively cheep! I don't know why anyone would balk at getting it! If you can't afford $50.00 a year you can't afford to be in this hobby! It's worth it just for the insurance!

Top Bottom