General Alright airplane people. Let's compare Engines

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Nice points there. The plane comes with a mount for the engine. I think it's a 2 stroke engine mount. I just don't know what size it is. If I measure it, will you be able to tell.

I am all about not having to change a whole lot right now. So I'm going 2 stroke for now, unless a 4 stroke will for on that mount. (it's the black engine mount on the firewall)..

Ok retracts. The guy built of without retracts, retracts means I will be modding the wing, I love retracts but it won't until much after the wedding coming I'll have the time to do all that.

The fixed landing gear, is loose now. It seems like te design that will loose up. I'll post a pic of it, may be you can tell me what I can do to improve it. I'll stay fixed for now. ESP when I know that I am not the best at slow and three point landings

As far as nitro is concerned, I love nitro! I have nitro helis. And the souls that nitro has in it just makes me so so so happy! :)

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Cowl is precut, new one is 15 bucks I think. I'll just get one. I have to make an order for the scoop underwing. It's missing.

RandyDSok

Not sure if I can be much help with a suggestion for the LG... but if you post the pic's I can at least look. I'm pretty much a hands on sort when it comes to engineering that sort of thing... sort of one of those "that looks about right" type

Right now... I need to watch Tony's 540T flight, if my computer will let me, it locked up IE last time... and then I have to go outside and mow the yard... The yard will only take about 45m max ( usually around 30 ) but getting there and actually doing it is what takes me so long... lmao

Tony

Staff member
That is why I have a riding mower lmao. YOu should have been out at the field last weekend and you would have seen me fly that plane twice plus my extra once (forgot the adapter to my batteries) and the mcpx twice. It was a lot of fun even if it was only TJ, a guy I can't remember his name and me out there, and TJ didn't fly even though I tried... hehe.

Tony

Staff member
And speaking of landing gear, I'm about to head out to the garage and custom make one for my Edge 540 Mini. Just hope aluminum is not too heavy. If it is, I will use the aluminum to create a mold and make it out of fiberglass with a 3mm or 4mm CF spar in it for strength.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
This is the reason I asked how big the plane was. If it was big enough for A gas motor! My DLE 20's cost me less that $250 a piese! Troy Built has them

Tony

Staff member
Here Gaba, this may help. Straight off Tower Hobbies website.

REQUIRES: Engine: .40-.46 2-stroke or .60-.70 4-stroke
Radio: 4-5 channel (5th channel for optional retracts)
Servos: 4-5 (ailerons, elevator, rudder, throttle, retracts)
Covering: 2 rolls
Misc.: 10oz fuel tank, fuel tubing, wheels, 2.75" spinner, wheel
collars, building and field equipment

Tony

Staff member
Just for the record, I now officially hate you because you have me looking into a 30cc Edge 540... My wife is really pissed off hahahahaha

RandyDSok

Mine is a .40-.60 glow. What's an equivalent? :)

I mentioned it earlier... a 20cc engine is equivalant to a 1.20ci two stroke engine ...

Also a .40ci two stroke is about the same equivalant to a .60ci 4 stroke.

So you can't say it is a .40-.60ci without saying if you are talking about a two stroke or a four stroke... and in this case in a two stroke it only recommends a .40-.46ci .... but if it's a four stroke it is a .60-.70ci

Tony

Staff member
I would go with that .62 if you have the money. The OS is not that bad, but Tower has more options. Just remember, the cheaper they are, the more you will have to tune them, and rebuild them. But, they will get you into a nitro plane.

RandyDSok

Just for the record, I now officially hate you because you have me looking into a 30cc Edge 540... My wife is really pissed off hahahahaha

Then let me help with that... either a 3DHS 74" Edge ... or better yet... the 71" AJ Slick

LMAO

Tony

Staff member
I have been looking at that AJ slick for about a week. Really nice plane. There is just something about a good gas engine and the way it sounds...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Found a os46fx (seems to be the engine of choice for this bird) with a Pitts muffler for ~65 bucks. Engine is in good running condition according to person I talked with.

Let's c. That was my limit anywaz.. Plus I am getting the Pitts with it.

He offfered the stock / os powerbox / Pitts in cowl for the same price... I think I am going Pitts .. Good?

Tony

Staff member
Your limit was $65 for an engine? The only way to do that is get used and we have both been down that used road. If you get it, let us know how it flies.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I have used engine's on my nitro helis! They ate beautiful!!! :) except I got paypal protection.. ;) I paid for the os motor and Pitts muffler .. :) let's c

RandyDSok

Not sure but it sounds like we wasted a lot of time looking up engine info etc for you when all you were going to be able to spend was just $65.... the cheapest new engine you listed was still at least $95 not to mention what the 4 strokes ran...

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Ohh.. Don't think your work went to vein... Tony would know this about me, I love upgrades lol

Believe me lol

I am putting this engine in to test out the frame and make sure putting more work and money into is worth it. This engine will maiden it, and get it set without modding. A 4 stroke will come when it passes this test ;)

Top Bottom