General Alright airplane people. Let's compare Engines

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Os 46 ax

Os 46 fx

Evolution 46 nx

Thunder tiger 40

Now also of you could tell me difference of power and noise (I want loud) I will see on PITTS in cowl muffler on these. Price is not a comparison factor.

Please of you can compare it on::
Reliability,
Maintanence
Startup hassles (evolution I have heard needs one flick of hand to start everytime)
Power
Noise
Quality
Parts

Etc

I know price goes like this

OS>>Evoltution>>Thunder tigre (high to low)

Engine is going in a Great planes p-51 kit (not arf)

Basically, if you had to choose between these. Which one would you pick and why... :)

Thanks!

Lee

The one that sounds like a Harley Davidson LOL :D Sorry i'm no help. I saw a video once and i was sure i put it up here but can't find it now. It was of a p51 in Germany with the sickest sounding engine on the Planet. Wish i could find it now.

Lee

Found it. Turn up your volume and prepare to grin from ear to ear.

[video=vimeo;25723650]http://vimeo.com/25723650[/video]

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I know I Have seen that I think,

That guy has been following p-51 since forever. He hand built every part and detailed it scale, even the muffler was scale he made to tune with the engine. It sounded just like the real p-51. Man it was awesome! He had above $20k in it..... @@

Tony

Staff member
Where the hell did I put my paper towels.... crap hahahaha

You did put that video on here somewhere, I just don't know where lmao. You could search back through your 1200 posts and find it thought lol.

Gaba, I'm an OS guy all the way. However money is my holdback. OS makes the best engines there are and you will have great reliability out of them. The flick start on the first try needs more than that. YOu have to prime the engine just right and everything has to be in good working condition. With that said though, get a 4 stroke engine over the 2 stroke. The 4 stroke will sound more like the one in the video with a lower rpm and more sound. The Pitts muffler is a great choice as well for a better sound.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Ohh this one is awesome!!! This is not the one that I am talking about. Lol but this one was AAAWWWWWWESOME! Lol....
His muffler was sticking down. And it was German . Somehow I missed that part in your post! This was a really beauty! The other one is in US itself. Man I love these p-51.. Make me wanna not put a muffler on my p-51 at all lol

Lee

Kolm Engines from Germany. But they cost almost as much as a turbine. :D

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Where the hell did I put my paper towels.... crap hahahaha

You did put that video on here somewhere, I just don't know where lmao. You could search back through your 1200 posts and find it thought lol.

Gaba, I'm an OS guy all the way. However money is my holdback. OS makes the best engines there are and you will have great reliability out of them. The flick start on the first try needs more than that. YOu have to prime the engine just right and everything has to be in good working condition. With that said though, get a 4 stroke engine over the 2 stroke. The 4 stroke will sound more like the one in the video with a lower rpm and more sound. The Pitts muffler is a great choice as well for a better sound.

Hmmm... Evolution is made for beginners so 4 reverse primes and the. A firing flick is what people say they use. The evolution .46 original one lacked powe but this one has good compared to os. these are reliable too.

Now OS , I know price is a limiter. But they are reliable. But, then again, leaving the price out of it, you see that the power and reliability of these engines comes down to be the same.

I have been suggested 4stroke. They are double the strokes and double the price. How does the power compare? Fuel consumption? I know they sound awesome! But they can use a Pitts too?

I am kinda stuck. My budget is not that high, but I wanna pick out the best in that. And I know I won't be able to go new on any of these. I got great price offers on these though. All 2 stroke . Haven't looked for a 4 stroke yet.

Leave out the price lol. I will disclose my finds later on that .

Tony

Staff member
Here is what yours should sound like hehe.

[video=youtube_share;A1NX0z4_E2Q]http://youtu.be/A1NX0z4_E2Q?t=1m30s[/video]

Last edited:

Tony

Staff member
4 strokes have a lot more torque than the 2 strokes. It's like comparing a gokart to my Camaro. and yes, you can use a pits muffler on a 4 stroke. If I was going all out, it would either be a 4 stroke glow or a gas engine hands down.

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
How big of a plain is it? I love my DLE engines! Gas all the way baby! I mean would you rather spend $30.00 a gal. Or $4.00?

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
While that's true but how expensive are we talking? A

Example. Trex 600 nitro heli glow is 600 on classifieds. Nitro is 30 a gallon

Gas upgrade is 1000 just the conversion but gas is 4 bucks then. Comes out the same to me. Lol

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
I don't have 400 to put in an engine. Lol but I can look into it.. :) the plane is .40-.60 size glow :)

P-51 great planes kit

Tony

Staff member
I wonder if the 20cc gas will fit in there. that would sound awesome lol. Check out the DLE Engines on Tower Hobbies. I think the 20 is like $270 with ignition.

RandyDSok

How big of a plain is it? I love my DLE engines! Gas all the way baby! I mean would you rather spend $30.00 a gal. Or $4.00?

The smallest engine that DLE has is their 20 and that is a 20cc, these guys have been talking about .40ci sized two strokes or .60ci sized 4 strokes... the DLE 20cc is equivalant to about 1.22ci sized 2 stroke engine. DLE and even DA ( even better engines ) are great, but they are in a much larger class of engine than what was being asked about.

I'm pretty much an electric only sort... I like to just plug and go without having to cleanup after I'm done. The downside to electric at this time is flight time, which in this size is probably going to be limited to around 10-15 minutes max... and that is all. An electric motor has more power without any delay when you give it the "gas" than a nitro or gas powered engine. Of course then there is the sound side of this... which, if you wanted, you could add a sound module and speaker to an electric to get but that just adds weight to do it.

To get the right sound on a nitro... you'll want to go with a 4 stroke over a 2 stroke. To go faster, you want the 2 stroke over the 4 stroke. For more power ( torque ) the 4 stroke wins over the 2 stroke. The .40ci 2 stroke equivalant in a 4 stroke is around a .60ci size. Here is some other general info about 2/4 strokes which I got from Tower Hobby's website...

Some differences between 4-stroke and 2-stroke engines;
4-strokes are quieter
4-strokes get better fuel economy
2-strokes generate more rpm (11,000-13,000 RPM with prop while 4-strokes rev to around 9,500 RPM)
4-strokes generate much more torque and will swing a larger prop.
4-strokes have a realistic sound like a real aircraft engine.

Tony mentioned that OS is the best engine out there... I'll say that they are instead the best in their class since there are other brands that can and do surpass them... for a cost. OS motors are known for their reliability and quality and as long as you aren't going with their economy line ( the OS 46LA ), you probably won't find a better motor. I can't say which is the better one between the AX and FX... though I didn't see the FX as available any more as new in a quick search.

I've heard that Thunder Tiger's are good engines but I'd guess they are going to be a little bit under OS in the reliability area but still a quality engine. I've seen these fly/run and they are quick but the guys that have them do have to tune them more than the other guys running OS engines. I've only just heard of Evolution engines but I've never seen anyone with one.

If sound is important to you... go with a 4 stroke... do NOT go by which one is loudest. Loud is a quality that is fun at first but quickly becomes old and tiresome over time.

If you are planing to put this in a warbird or other plane that has a long nose... keep weight of the engine/motor in mind. P-51's and Spitfires are notorious about nosing over on landing... the 2 stroke will actually have an advantage here but you have to sacrifice the sound and smooth running.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Rdsok

Dang that was awesome info! Lol

Now I like to have power, and descent speeds. I am not looking for jet speeds . But more like you know good speeds, not something thatll just drag slow. I want to be on my sticks all the time,less of a glider. ;)

4 strike seems like where I wanna go, then again, are they heavier? What size am I looking for? Can I get 4 stroke suggestions please?

I will weigh everything ... But ok I do like good sound... In the air.... :) so 4 stroke would sound better in the air?

Let me see if I an afford it. If I can't then that'll be an upgrade. Lol later

RandyDSok

Ok.. it makes some of this easier when you know what scale specs are... The Great Planes P-51D .40 kit has a 57" wingspan making this approx a 1/8th scale plane ( 55.5" is 1/8 and 63.43" would be a 1/7th scale )

Full scale ... max flight speed is 437mph and cruise is 362mph ( per wikipedia ). At 1/8th scale, that would give you 54.625mph at max and 45.25mph for cruise speed.... If you are like many... that would seem to be pretty slow for a RC sport plane even though they are scale speeds.

The trouble ( for me at least ) is that I have no charts that tell me what speed you will see on a nitro/gas engine with a particular size prop for it. I suspect that you can select a particular motor and do an internet search on it to see what speeds others are reporting for that particular engine... a fiddly job at best.

The engines they recommend are .40-.46 2-stroke or .60-.70 4-stroke ... So if you go with an OS 4 stroke... that would mean either the OS FS-62V or on the top ( and possibly too big ) sized OS 72FS-a. The FS-62V is twice the price of the 46AX.

The 4 strokes sound much nicer than the 2 strokes in the air and they are much less fiddly when it comes to tuning them due to weather changes and conditions. On the otherhand, 2 strokes are faster and cost less to get into them. I'd hate to suggest getting the 2 stroke to start with and changing it to a 4 stroke later unless you know for certain that you will stay with a nitro engine in the long run and have plans for another .40 sized plane ( or plan on selling the engine perhaps ).

The total engine/muffler weight will end up depending on what the Pitt's mufflers you would need weigh in at. The engines by themselves ... the 2 stroke is lighter but when you include the mufflers they actually come with... it is a toss up. So you'd need to look up the weight of the Pitt's for the .46 and then the .62 and combine them with the engine weight to answer that question.

If you start with one engine... and then change to another, remember that you will likely also need to change out the motor mount as well. This will also involve sealing up the older motor mount holes that you had made earlier. In addition, if this is your first nitro plane you've ever gone with... if you find you don't like the cleanup and tuning the engine portion... unless you end up selling the plane, you may not want to invest into a second engine later. So don't count on upgrading the engine unless you are certain you will like using a nitro engine ( 2 or 4 stroke ) to begin with.

Another point... unrelated to the engine.. Retracts. They are very cool on this type of plane but they are also weaker than a solid mounted LG and are rather fiddly to boot. Still... I think they are worth your consideration even if they are only for looks, they are a fun add-on. If you are considering them... look for something electric that can handle this weight of a plane. A set of servoless ones are much easier to setup and deal with than ones that work off of a set of servo's or off of air pressure.

RandyDSok

PS....

If forgot to mention... when changing out the engines... you will also need to alter or change out the cowl in order to get the new muffler out of it... So check out what a new cowl costs just in case you can't use the original one you cut up for the first engine/muffler you had selected.

Top Bottom