Micro Align Trex 150 - Tail motor cables

Erfan

Hi guys

I have a funny situation were I had tried to change the Trex 150 frame and lost track on which of the three tail motor cables does what :chairshot:
They had some colored plastic on them but I was clumsy and they all fell off.

So now I have 3 really thin cables which are positive, negative and the last one controls the speed I think?

Now my questions is how can I tell which cable is which? Without destroying the motor or any thing else, is there a way to find out which is positive and which is negative?

I was thinking of perhaps hooking it up to 1S battery and try to see what happens but I'm afraid if it will destroy the motor if negative and positive are mixed up, is there a way to figure this out safely or should I just buy a new motor?

Tony

Staff member
Do not hook up a 1s battery to this. These motors are brushless and 3 phase. Just hook them up in any orientation and fire up the helicopter. If the tail motor is spinning in reverse, then swap any two and it will correct it. You may be able to just flip the plug over and do the same thing. Hope this helps. ,

Erfan

OK, so it does not matter if the blue is in the middle or not I can just play around with the cables in order to get the motor spinning in the right direction?
No matter how I connect the cables it will not break, just spin in the wrong direction if its connected in wrongly?

- - - Updated - - -

Btw, does anybody know which direction the tail on trex150 should spin?
My Trex 450 spins counter clockwise not sure if its the same here...

Is there any general rule to this? I heard that if the main blades spin clockwise the tail should spin counter clockwise, is that the general rule?

pvolcko

Yes, you can hook them up in any order and it will not break. Worst that will happen is the tail rotor spins in the wrong direction. And as Tony said, you can just flip the connector. That effectively swaps pins 1 and 3, middle pin doesn't change position, which will change it's direction.

Which direction should it spin? Look at the tail rotor. Which direction will produce the thrust pushing out from it (to the right)? That's the direction you want.

Top Bottom