FBL Gyro Align Gpro Steup Issues

amastron

I'm setting up a Gpro on a Dominator, I get through the setup fine until I get to where setup wants 8 degrees, at this point one of the cyclic servos don't move and I'm unable to set my pitch to 8 degrees! Any idea what may be the problem, has anyone else had this happen? Any help is appreciated!!

Tony

Staff member
If it's the elevator servo that is not working, then just set it with aileron. But if it's one of the aileron servos, then this isn't good. You have already setup your directions and your swash is moving in the correct directions?

I'm not familiar with the gpro, do you set it to 1 servo 90 or 3 servo 120 in the Tx? If 3 servo, make sure you have set that otherwise you will only have two servos working.

amastron

It's the front right servo that is not doing anything, the up and down setup for pitch went well all that was fine. Yes, you do setup the transmitter for one servo swash. Everything up to this point in the setup has worked fine, when Gpro want's to see 8 degrees is where this one servo fails. It even works when Gpro wants you to set 0 pitch, and I can set 0, geez it even works with sub trim. Only the part in setup where you click the 'Set to 8 degrees' button does it fail. If I can't figure this one out I see new cyclic servos in the future. Thanks Tony, appreciate it!

Tony

Staff member
I don't think this is a servo issue. In fact, I know it's not.

I'm thinking just wing it. Or do a complete reset on it and start over, maybe even a new model in the Tx. I know it's a lot of work, but you would be surprised at what starts working when you start over lol. Especially with Align gyro's.

Smoggie

I'm with Tony. If the servo moves when you set zero pitch and sub trim then the servo is working. The problem must be somewhere else.

My bet would be that it's connected to the wrong output on the Gpro (probably swapped with the elevator). When you try to set the 8 degrees does the elevator servo move by any chance?

amastron

Yes, when I press the Set to 8 degree pitch the elevator and one side servo goes up, just the one stays where it was. I check to see if it was in the wrong position first thing, I thought the same thing but found there all correct. I have setup a few Gpro's and never had any issues, this is a first! I would agree, a new setup may be the way to go here, gonna start that now. Thanks for the input guys, at least I know I'm not going crazy now...

Tony

Staff member
If it does it again, see if the servo is dead (being able to physically move the servo arm) or if it resist you meaning it's still getting a signal from the gyro. This is weird to say the least.

amastron

Well do I feel like a fool, after I thought about this for a spell it came to me it's doing just what is supposed to be doing! When you set it to the 8 degree the swash tilts to ONE side and you set your pitch with the blades fore and aft, dah :banghead:
I'm so sorry I have you guys trying to figure out a problem that's not a problem at all. It has been about a year from my last Gpro install. It even tells you in the setup on the right " Push the Set to 8 Degree button, swashplate will tilt to one side" Good example of what happens when you don't read the directions! Geez, I hope my test flight goes better than the setup. Thanks for the help guys!

Tony

Staff member
lol, it's all good bro, now this should help someone else in the future if they run into this issue even though it was not an issue at all.

Smoggie

Still sounds to me like you have the elevator and pitch (front right) servo swapped. When you do the '8 degrees' setting the elevator servo must stay still and the two front servos (aileron and pitch) should move in opposite directions (one up and one down) to tilt the swash to one side.

If the elevator servo moves when you do the 8 degrees thing then it's connected to the wrong output on the FBL.

amastron

Still sounds to me like you have the elevator and pitch (front right) servo swapped. When you do the '8 degrees' setting the elevator servo must stay still and the two front servos (aileron and pitch) should move in opposite directions (one up and one down) to tilt the swash to one side.

If the elevator servo moves when you do the 8 degrees thing then it's connected to the wrong output on the FBL.

My mistake there, I was looking from the front! From the tail the servo on the left does go down some and the servo on the right kicked up giving me the + pitch. I know the elevator is in the right position on the FBL because when I move my right stick on the transmitter up the elevator servo moves up, when I move it down the servo goes down, the two in front stay still. When I move the same stick left the left front servo goes down and the right front goes up. I just took it out for a test flight and all went well, I do need to get a better mechanical center on the rudder but it did hold in heading hold mode.

Top Bottom