500 Align 550E DFC

Tomhintz

I just got my Trex 550E Pro DFC and am starting to build it this afternoon. I have been flying their 450 so this is quite a size-shock! To add to that this model comes with a 600 tail section/boom and a 600 DFC head and a 700? (maybe 600, something bigger than expected anyway) motor.

If you have experience wit this helo and know of danger spots in the build let me know!

heli-maniac

Its a pretty easy kit .
What FBL unit are you going to use I didnt like the 3gx that i had on mine so now i fly it with a AR7200 bx and its awesome
also if you got the kit with the Talon 90 esc I would look at something else the have big problems

Tomhintz

I also will be using the AR7200BX as I have tried the 3GX in the past.
I do have the Talon 90 and there are a bunch of them flying around our field without issue. I guess I will stick with it. We are having a big helicopter flyin at our field this Saturday so should be able to get a bunch of first hand info there. The are a bunch of 550's at our field normally, sure to be more this weekend!

Tomhintz

I've also discovered that my trusty Venom charger is fine for the 2200mAh stuff but these 6S 5000mAh packs need a stronger charger. So, I am looking for suggestions for a good AC/DC charger that will handle the 6S stuff. The manufacturer says these packs can be charged at 10 amps so that is a target capaility for the charger.

Tony

Staff member
It's all going to be based off of wattage. The wattage on a charger is the constant, it's the voltage that is the variable. If you really want a good charger, then forget about the AC/DC versions. I have the iCharger 306B which is a 1000w charger. I built two server PSU's (which I do have a video on how to do) which are 1150w when connected in series, adn I have under $200 in it all. I'm also using the EP Buddy Para-Board.

To figure out what the charger will handle, you divide watts by volts. Remember, it may state that the pack is 22.2 volts, but at a full charge, it's 4.2 volts per cell. My vote is for the icharger. I have not had a single issue with mine.

heli-maniac

I got a Hyperion EOSO 720I net3 charger that i use and its AC/DC and works great charges all my 6s packs very well from my 1300 65c to the 5100 35c batteries
Off the wall plug
As far as the Talon 90 goes it not a good esc for a 550 it dose not put out well
I tried a talon 90 and it made the bird under powered changed to a Yep 100a and its like night and day better
Had to drop the Thr. curve 10% to bring the head speed down from the talons settings with the yep 100a

Last edited:

Tomhintz

I maidened the 550E this morning in the yard, been hovering it out there ever since. Flies great, gusty winds but its nice and stable compared to my 450. So far no adjustments needed other than I changed the BeastX to transmitter so I can do the dual rates and expo there. I am so used to having that in airplanes it is just easier for me to control that at the transmitter. It doesn't need much in the way of dual rates or expo though, just a little to smooth me out for the time being.
Everybody try and grin as big as me.......you loose!

Graham Lawrie

Mine was the same :) the transition from 450 was night and day and likewise with the 3gx to the AR7200BX and its super stable ability.

Tomhintz

Mine was the same :) the transition from 450 was night and day and likewise with the 3gx to the AR7200BX and its super stable ability.

I am happy and amazed. It has been gusty windy all day and this thing couldn't care less. I can feel having to correct a bit for the bigger gusts but hose move me as well! The guys at my flying field told me I would like this helicopter, I gotta listen to them more!
The AR7200BX is also very cool. One time through the setup and it works fine. I remember the 3GX days...........never again!

Tony

Staff member
yes, it's night and day from the 3GX to the BX. I have tried everything I know of to get the 3GX flying like it should and even as close as I have come (meaning it's perfect in the air, but on the ground it's still lacking), teh BX still has it beat.

Tomhintz

I also just got one of the first Precision Aerobatics Addiction XL's and am trying to get that started in between flights with the 550. Plus we have our big heli meet at our field on Saturday so I HAVE to debut the 550 there....maybe win something cool. It sounds like some of the manufacturers are putting up some raffel prizes because some of their pilots are coming. Should be fun!

Tomhintz

It's all going to be based off of wattage. The wattage on a charger is the constant, it's the voltage that is the variable. If you really want a good charger, then forget about the AC/DC versions. I have the iCharger 306B which is a 1000w charger. I built two server PSU's (which I do have a video on how to do) which are 1150w when connected in series, adn I have under $200 in it all. I'm also using the EP Buddy Para-Board.

To figure out what the charger will handle, you divide watts by volts. Remember, it may state that the pack is 22.2 volts, but at a full charge, it's 4.2 volts per cell. My vote is for the icharger. I have not had a single issue with mine.

I do a bunch of my flying in my yard so having the AC capability would be needed. I understand you can build a power supply but when I mess with electricity my wife stands near by with 91 dialed....I once put two lights and a switch in our garage and then had to keep little kids away while we waited for an electrician to figure out how I had energized the aluminum siding..... I need to BUY something with ac/dc capability for the safety of everyone involved!

Slobberdog

You will prob wont be able to charge on all four channels at once its only 50w per channel and for that 550 I think your packs are 5000mah you will be charging at about 0.5c it will take you ages to charge the packs and that will max that charger out, you would be so much better off getting an icharger 306 and in the states there is loads of people modding the power supplies and selling them so you can just plug and play.

Tomhintz

You will prob wont be able to charge on all four channels at once its only 50w per channel and for that 550 I think your packs are 5000mah you will be charging at about 0.5c it will take you ages to charge the packs and that will max that charger out, you would be so much better off getting an icharger 306 and in the states there is loads of people modding the power supplies and selling them so you can just plug and play.

Good thought. Back to the icharger 306......

Tony

Staff member
Alright, you don't want to have to do any soldering, or wiring of any kind, and that is understandable. How about this idea. Get the iCharger 206b and a single PSU. I'm thinking 300 watts is going to be more than enough for what you are wanting to do. With the 206, you will be able to charge a 6s pack (at 300 watts mind you) at 11.90 amps. That is a kickin charge on a 6s battery. With charge rates like that, I would get the paraboard and do two of them at once. You could do 4, but y ou would be dropping down pretty low on your charge rate.

I will make this deal with you. If you want to do it this way, I will help you out in getting the PSU working. The only soldering that you need to do is to get the bullets soldered onto the tabs that are coming out of the PSU and short 4 pins together. That's it. No opening the case, no having to break the DC ground, just simple soldering. If you would like me to do all of this for you, PM me and we can work it out.

You can also do this same single PSU with the 306b, but you will be limited to 500watts, not 1000 watts that the charger is designed for. But it will work and it will give you room to grow in teh future when you are ready. Adding a PSU later on down the road is simple and we cna help you out with that. But for now, runnign it on 12 volts and 500 watts instead of 24 volts 1000 watts is perfectly fine on teh 306b.

Tomhintz

Alright, you don't want to have to do any soldering, or wiring of any kind, and that is understandable. How about this idea. Get the iCharger 206b and a single PSU. I'm thinking 300 watts is going to be more than enough for what you are wanting to do. With the 206, you will be able to charge a 6s pack (at 300 watts mind you) at 11.90 amps. That is a kickin charge on a 6s battery. With charge rates like that, I would get the paraboard and do two of them at once. You could do 4, but y ou would be dropping down pretty low on your charge rate.

I will make this deal with you. If you want to do it this way, I will help you out in getting the PSU working. The only soldering that you need to do is to get the bullets soldered onto the tabs that are coming out of the PSU and short 4 pins together. That's it. No opening the case, no having to break the DC ground, just simple soldering. If you would like me to do all of this for you, PM me and we can work it out.

You can also do this same single PSU with the 306b, but you will be limited to 500watts, not 1000 watts that the charger is designed for. But it will work and it will give you room to grow in teh future when you are ready. Adding a PSU later on down the road is simple and we cna help you out with that. But for now, runnign it on 12 volts and 500 watts instead of 24 volts 1000 watts is perfectly fine on teh 306b.

I know it refers to the power unit but what does PSU stand for? (I just know this is a real dorky question.....) I have this big heli meet here tomorrow so am going to look around at that but the iCharger 206b things sounds like the way to go. We have several real hotshots with helis that are coming so maybe I can see all this stuff in action.

Tony

Staff member
Yup, as stated, PSU is Power Supply Unit. All it does is convert 110vAC to 12vDC.

Your best bet is to head out to that meet and see what people are using. You never know, if you tell enough people that you are in need of a charger that can charge 6s packs, you may just head home with a charger that day. Make sure it's at least 300 watts though. I think, if I was in your position, I would still go with teh 306 just so you have room to grown in teh future.

Top Bottom