450 Align 450xl HDE 90 to 120 swash conversion

EyeStation

Not sure if it is a conversion or not, but I have the 450xl with 90° swashplate and wondered how much modifications I would have to do to put all the innards into a frame set up for a 120° servo configuration? Can I run my flybar setup on it with a 120° swash with minimal alterations?

Slobberdog

not sure why you would want to, there is so many diff parts, apart from the head which has a plastic head hasn't it,, the tail assy is different I think the boom is smaller or shorter, you would be better off getting a 450 sport than moding your XL,

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
the problem you will face will be swash phasing. the swash balls and head is right now configured to where it responds a certain way with the 90 degree swash. you will have some difference not much. What is needed? new frame design, new swash, probably a new main shaft (as the frame might need a different swash length), then you get into reto fitting tail parts and you end up with a frankestine of a new heli with more time money and work than where you would have gotten a new one lol

Why do you need 120? are you at mechanical mixing or CCPM mixing right now? (one pitch servo, or three servos doing collective pitch) ? If you are just looking to get the "new deisng" ..sure.. but rather than that, there isnt a lot of difference between flying a 90 to a 120.. there is a responsiveness difference in mechanical 90 degree and ccpm 90 degree..

EyeStation

I do not do any mixing at all, this came about after discovering my plastic outside ring of my swash is split. Did a bit of searching at Align, A-Main and E-Bay, and only finding one Microheli piece. http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/e11400.m1842.l3160/7?euid=9ed88a431e5e4252bfabbcbd09d9f9d3&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fcgi.ebay.com%2Fws%2FeBayISAPI.dll%3FViewItem%26item%3D321201009315%26ssPageName%3DADME%3AL%3AOC%3AUS%3A3160
When I bought the Tarot, it came with a second frame and a couple 120 swash>head sets. So I have quite a few of the pieces at my disposal.
Why is the tail section a nightmare? It seems the XL's boom fits nicely, and the belt drive is in the same position.
Sorry it is at home and not in front of me, so I cannot show you in pictures.
So trying to keep this flying as a 450XL HDE is becoming a challenge due to parts availability.

Last edited:
Top Bottom