FBL Gyro Align 3gx

Matt

I think I got it. Any reason the rudder is not moving? I move the stick and nothing from the rudder servo. It’s got power.

Tony

Staff member
Make sure to go through the setup for the tail completely otherwise it will not save it. Also, you need to go into the gyro menu in your Tx and set a gain value in the positive. Something around +45 should be a good start.

Matt

I bought a KST MS565 servo. It doesn't respond to imput from the Tx. I plugged in my (original) Align DS520 and it responds to the Tx. Can I use the KST MS565 or is it not compatible?

Tony

Staff member
Did you set your tail servo to 760μs and not 1520μs? Your servo has a narrower band.

Matt

Where would I do that? In the Tx? Or in the 3gx? I tried the 3gx but it's not keeping the value. When I go back into the gyro setup in the 3gx it is still showing that it is a 1520

Matt

I've got just about everything set up. Plugging in the motor and spinning it up is next. I've got 3gx version 5.1. Do I have to do the governor set up part of the 3gx?

Matt

Thank you dearly for your help with all of this. I'm trying the maiden flight now that I think I've gotten everything set up properly. When the heli gets light on its skids it seems to want to tip over. I doesn't seem to want to lift straight up into the air. I'm not sure if something is not set up right. When I tip the heli left the swash goes right. When I tip the heli right the swash goes left. Same with forward and backwards. I can't afford to crash this thing. Am I being to cautious or is there something not set up right?

Tony

Staff member
The tipping is just something to deal with when using the 3GX unless you downgrade to 2.1. 2.1 is the only stable version for this gyro.

Matt

Out of curiosity what would be normal pitch and throttle curves for normal mode? I was watching Freddy Can Fly videos and he suggests the pitch curve for normal mode be 50, 60, 70, 80, 90.. Also the throttle curve for normal mode be 0, 70, 80, 90, 100.. does that seem right? I'm so new to this that I trying to figure this out

Also, I'd like to eventually flip the heli into Idle Up mode.. what should I watch for? I'm scared of crashing the heli but feel as though I need to try Idle Up.. just, seriously can afford to crash but if its no big deal I may try it.. just don't want to crash..

Tony

Staff member
For normal mode I run 46 48 50 75 100 for pitch and 0 75 75 75 75 for throttle. Of course ever heli is going to be different and you will have to adjust the throttle to your needs. As for idle up, put the pitch to linear and the throttle to a flat line. That way, if you are in a hover or flying when you hit idle up, you will not get any weird pitch changes like you will with the above mentioned curves from the other guy.

Smoggie

When I tip the heli left the swash goes right. When I tip the heli right the swash goes left. Same with forward and backwards. I can't afford to crash this thing. Am I being to cautious or is there something not set up right?

Matt,

I've seen people misinterpret the movement of the swash on the 3GX. When you do the test it's best to jerk the heli over very sharply, and you are looking for the initial response of the swash. So if for example you quickly and sharply bank the heli left, the swash should initially respond by twitching to the right.

As soon as the heli stops rotating the swash will move back. So in the previous example of you banking the heli left, the swash responds initially with a quick right twitch (which is easy to miss) but after that the swash moves left to 'catch up' with the position of the heli. This secondary movement of the swash people see and misinterpret. It's only the 3GX that seems to do this, other FBL are much easier to check (yet another reason to use the 3GX as a paperweight only!)

Matt

So I tried to fly my heli today. It got off the ground and started to jerk back and forth violently. Long story short, I crashed it. I need to replace the feathering shaft and the DFC link and the blades. It didn't seem like tail wag and my gyro is set at 38.5%. I think it was the 3gx freaking out. Should I just upgrade to Microbeast? Is the 3gx that unstable that it would make the heli shake violently until crashing? Something is not right..

Eggy 71

It sounds like something was wrong with setup. It's normally quite stable once airborne, just on takeoff and landing it does some weird stuff. I still have one but it sits on the shelf as there are newer more reliable gyros for a little as a hundred dollars that preform way nicer. The way I see it, saving just a single crash will pay for itself. Get another gyro and if nothing else it will put your mind ar ease next time you fly.

Matt

I bought a Beastx Microbeast Plus for the piece of mind I'll get. So, I'll be setting that up this week..

Top Bottom