FBL Gyro Align 3gx

Matt

My Align 3gx is not working as it should. I try to bind my Tx to my 2 satellites and it does. Then when I remove my bind plug all the lights flash on the 3gx and the servos move in weird ways. Also the satellites seem to lose their bind. Any help would be appreciated. It was working at one point, now I'm not sure where to go.

Tony

Staff member
What Tx are you using? Have you tried to bind the satellites and then power down the unit before unplugging the bind plug?

Matt

I have a Spektrum DX8 Gen2. This was working at one point, then I went into the governor setting and its been stuck ever since.

Matt

I'm using 5.0 3gx version. When I go to bind it says DSM2 which I've read doesn't work with 3gx. Kind of at a loss as to how to proceed. This was working, then I went into the governor setup and it just hasn't worked right since.

Tony

Staff member
It should work with DSM2 and DSMX. Try removing the satellite in port 1 and only bind the satellite in port 2 and see if that one will keep.

I dont' know anything in the governor setup that would affect the bind.

Matt

So what I just did was remove the satellite receiver from port 1 and keep the satellite receiver in port 2. I put the bind plug in the 3gx and connected the battery. The satellite receiver light blinked rapidly. I turned on my transmitter holding down the bind (trainer) button. It bound successfully. I then unplugged the battery and removed the bind plug. I plugged the battery back in and now only the 5 green lights are flashing and the satellite light is flashing (slower then when its trying to bind, but its not solid)

Tony

Staff member
This is actually a safety feature of the 3GX. The 5 green lights flashing rapidly is telling you that at sometime the 3GX had lost the bind between the receiver and the transmitter. This happened when you unplugged the battery but didn't turn off the Tx. Also, the slow flashing light on the satellite Rx is also an indication that the helicopter was turned off and back on but the Tx was never turned off. Below is a video where I explain this so you can see it visually.

Matt

If the lights on the satellite receivers are blinking but not as fast as if the bind plug was in the 3gx does it mean the receivers are bound to the Tx?

Tony

Staff member
That is correct. The functionality of the satellites are exactly the same as a solid light, it is just telling you that you unplugged the helicopter and plugged it back in without power cycling the transmitter as well. It's just an indication of a brownout, or a loss of bind, most used after a flight so you know.

Matt

I'm at a complete loss. I think the 3gx is bound to the Tx. I don't hear the esc initializing. I held the blades and smoke rose from the motor or esc so maybe I smoked the esc? This is completely new to me so I'm learning by trial and error.

Tony

Staff member
Yea, if you saw the magic smoke, then something is toasted. What kind and size of helicopter are you working on?

Matt

I've got an Align Trex 450 Pro that was flybarred and I trying to convert it to flybarless. I've got the DFC head on but keep running into problems. Today is my day off and I'd like to get this figured out.

Tony

Staff member
I will do all I can to help out. Truth be told though, look at investing in a microbeast or Ikon. They are much better gyros for flybarless than the 3GX. The 3GX is not being produced anymore because of all of the issues they had with it. Version 2.1 was the best, most stable version, and it was downhill from there. It may be likely that your gyro is bad which does happen quite often.

Smoggie

I held the blades and smoke rose from the motor or esc so maybe I smoked the esc?

if the motor was not trying to spin then most likely what caused this is stalling servos. You should really disconnect the servos or remove the arms until you get the initial FBL setup done. What's probably happened is that the servos moved too far until the linkages jammed or the arms hit the frame causing the servo to stall. This stall creates a very high current draw and if it goes on for more than a second or two you either burn out the servo or you burn out the 'BEC' in the ESC. (the BEC is the circuit in the ESC that provides power to the servos and FBL unit). You will often see a hole melted in the plastic covering of the ESC caused when the BEC overheated.

If that's the case then the ESC is toast which is unfortunate but put it down to experience and make sure to remove the arms or unplug the servos when doing the initial FBL setup in the future.

Matt

I went to the store and got a HobbyWing ESC and three KST servos. I should be back up and running soon. I did smoke the ESC, unfortuately.. if anyone is reading this from Massachusetts, there is a HeliDirect store in Malden, MA. Kind of a long drive, but may be worth it as my hobby store is mainly focused now on drones..

Tony

Staff member
Yea, most LHS's are going to quads and such. It's sad really and unfortunately I have had to follow suit. But exclusively. I still play with heli's every now and then lol. Glad you got a new ESC and a good one at that. And you are really going to like those servos!

Matt

Thank you for your help. I'm back up and running. The issue was the ESC. I did smoke it.. Does anyone know what the DX8 Gen2 settings are for the 3gx? I'm supposed to assign Aux2 to the rudder but not sure how to do that on the DX8 Gen2. I'm using satellites..

Tony

Staff member
In the system settings under Channel Assign, scroll down to Aux2 and make sure it says Aux2. Then scroll all the way to the right to Next and assign Aux2 to the switch you want to use for tail gyro gain.

Once done, you will go into the tail gyro menu in the Tx and if it says Inhibit, select it and click on it then move the switch you want to use for the tail gain and it will automatically select it. In my case, it is Switch D. Once you do that, you will see more options come up including the "Chan." or Channel. In there, you will set it from Gear to Aux2.

Most likely you will ONLY have to do the second part of that. The first part should be already done for you with stock programming.

Top Bottom