Scale Airwolf scale project

Tony

Staff member
The helical cut gears are quieter and the teeth are larger than the straight cut gears. I would do it just for those two reasons. But no, you don't have to run the helical gears. And don't forget, you can always adjust your throttle curve to match the head speed. More than likely on something like this, you are going to want a good governor anyway.

Thanks Tony.. I think I will look into that. I cant seem to find a 170T main slant gear, but maybe that is to do with the larger teeth. I guess I will just play around with the formula until I find something that works.. and like you said, I can always use the throttle curves.

and thanks for using the term helical, I had a feeling that helical and slant were the same thing, just was to embarrassed to ask. working with this heli sure has been a great learning experience and a lot of fun. I like mixing the technology with the mechanical. good stuff man.

Tony

Staff member
You are not going to find a 170 tooth gear. because of the larger gear, the tooth count is going to be the same. I believe I did a video before on the two gears (for a 450 size) and how they calculated out the same in the end. When you lower the main gear tooth count, you are also lowering the pinion gear tooth count as well. So the ratio stays the same. I believe I'm running an 11 tooth on my 450, but don't quote me on that.

And never feel embarrassed about asking a question. We are always here to help!

holtneil

Hi Bill The trex pro came with slant gears but there is only 2 pinions a 11 and a 12t , so on my Cobra I went the route of a 1000kv hyperion motor and the old trex main gear then there is about 6 to 8 different pinions , so that way i got my 1900 rpm at 80% throttle and on a 3000mah 6 cell with spin blades, I get 8 mins and the battery still is 3.79v a cell , so I can go another 2 to 3 mins flight if I want but I am happy at 8 mins and its gentle on my batteries as well so WIN WIN

Bill if you download the Vbar software there is a headspeed calc built in just put in battery and motor KV with gearing and it will tell you the gear ratio, then I jump to a head speed calc and this will give me head speed at a given throttle

Last edited:
Hi all. I hope everyone is well and had a good holiday! I am making progress with my 550.. I scrapped the align ESC for a Talon 90 and the 3GX for an IKON.

I just need to dial everything in, get some flights and then on to the next phase of this project.

Happy flying!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

holtneil

Hi mate I know mine was the 500 pro but I put in a 1000kv hyperion motor , a 17 pinion and a straight cut main from the older trex 500 to get the right head speed so the ESC and motor does not run hot , so you may be able to keep the gearing you have just use small KV motor and get the ESC in the sweet spot at the right head speed a guy I know has a 600 scale and runs at 1450 head speed sound nice too

Last edited:
Thats a very nice tidy wire job!

Thank you! It took me forever to wire it the way I wanted to. I bought the wiring cover from Heli direct and it took me several trys on how to use it. I think I finally figured it out. I am thinking about getting the bluetooth adapter for the IKON so I can mount it underneath, which would make the wiring even cleaner. You know how it is.. forever modifying.. LOL

Thanks for the vids Neil. It keeps me motivated!

Top Bottom