Scale Airwolf scale project

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Your not kidding about "What a monster" I probably could fit inside and go for a ride. :)

holtneil

She is nice I think it the bigest rc aerodyne carry , I love the way all the machanics are tucked in the top housing so all you get is heli and cockpit , you can see Chris 28 years of flying coming into how nice the demo is

holtneil

No I wish Bill , Its to big for to home, I would like one some time , but I want my 630 Goblin first

No I wish Bill , Its to big for to home, I would like one some time , but I want my 630 Goblin first

Yeah, I was looking at those on Helidirect. Pretty expensive.. Are they that much better than the Aligns? I probably will never own one, my real love is airplanes but I wanted to do a scale heli too, so this is my big heli project, although I thinking it will not be completely done until next year. Lots to do and other projects going on as well. I need more hours in the day or hit the lottery so I can retire and play with RC all day.

murankar

Staff member
Goblins are way better than align. My Gaui is better designed than aligns in its same size class.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Goblins are way better than align. My Gaui is better designed than aligns in its same size class.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

I am starting to see that.. like these two things.

first..

this little o-ring came out of the swash. I can see where it is supposed to go, inside the swash around the half circle ball the main shaft goes through.. How important is this? is there a way to take that swash apart? Do I have to replace the swash?

- - - Updated - - -

second,

the tail gears. as you can see the tail gear is not lining up with the auto-rotation gear. The main shaft is locked down with no play in it. the tail gear seems to be pressed on to the shaft with no way to adjust the gear up or down. This does not seem right to me. The spacers are installed and there is no way to adjust the main shaft either. it has 0 up and down play in it.

- - - Updated - - -

Tony

Staff member
It looks like you are missing a spacer between the main and auto gear. But, if everything is spinning free, you should be fine. As for the O-Ring, as long as you keep an eye on the swash, keep it clean and oiled, you should be fine. Just drop a drop or two of oil in there before every run, or at least every 5 runs and it should last quite a while.

OK.. I can add a spacer.. guess I did not think of that.. as far as the oring.. are you basically saying dont worry about trying to put it back in? just drop some oil into the top of the swash every now and then? what kind of oil would you suggest?

Tony

Staff member
I have never seen a swash with an O-Ring, all of mine are just open bearings. But yeah, just add some oil and you should be fine. As for what kind of oil, I use Team Trinity Bearing Oil. But you can use something like 3M oil if that is all you have.

i took the main gear apart and the spacer was installed. The manual only calls for one spacer and it seems to me that if I put another one in there the hole the bolt passes through to lock down the main gear will not line up. so perhaps as you suggested, I am going to leave it alone because everything is turning smoothly. just annoys me a bit because those gears should line up perfectly IMHO.

Tony

Staff member
In that picture, it looked like the tail gear was really close to the main gear, so I wouldn't suggest trying to raise that up. That could throw off the tail gear mesh as well.

holtneil

HI Bill the O ring is a dust seal for the swash , just keep an eye on it and keep it clean and lub it , if you start to get play then replace the swash , as Tony said there is a spacer between the auto gear and main gear , there is also a spacer that sits on top of the upper head bearing block so this will lift the main shaft and remove any up and down play check this is fitted as well , this fits between the collar on the main shaft and the top of the top bearing so fit the spacer then drop in the main shaft , hope this reads ok so you understand it

HI Bill the O ring is a dust seal for the swash , just keep an eye on it and keep it clean and lub it , if you start to get play then replace the swash , as Tony said there is a spacer between the auto gear and main gear , there is also a spacer that sits on top of the upper head bearing block so this will lift the main shaft and remove any up and down play check this is fitted as well , this fits between the collar on the main shaft and the top of the top bearing so fit the spacer then drop in the main shaft , hope this reads ok so you understand it

Thanks Neil.. you explained it perfectly and actually I used both spacers for the main shaft and the spacer between the main and auto rotation gear is there. There is no up and down play in the shaft either . I pulled the tail boom case apart too and it is put together right. It just seems to me the tail gear is not pressed onto the shaft as far up as it should be.

holtneil

Hi Bill just checked my 500s and the tail drive gear is level with the top edge of the auto rotation gear ,so you may be right about its not on the shaft right

ok.. doing some research on the perfect headspeed for scale. I am setting mine up for scale flight now because that is the way I am going to fly it before I do any of the scale mods..

so using Tony's headspeed formula.. my stock specs

are

{1220x22.5/ (170/16)} .8 That formula comes out to 2067 RPM's. Is that a good headspeed for my application? From what I can see, dropping the tooth count on the pinion gear will bring down the RPM, I can only find 10 11 16 17 and 18 tooth pinions. 11 is too low IMHO.. do they make a pinion between 11 and 15? Also I am trying to find out exactly what slant main gears are. From what I have read, a slant gear will increase headspeed and that is not what I want for scale flight? correct?

so, I found a 14T pinion. so that should drop me down to 1800 RPM at 80% efficiency. It seems to me that the blade length should figure in somehow as well as the tailspeed. I welcome your thoughts but I am going to do some more reading.. later.. but now. the sun is shining and the wind is calm.. time to go burn some nitro!!

Tony

Staff member
imo, set the head speed to what feels best and sounds the best when flying it. There is no magic number that I have found. Although with a 600+ size bird, that high head speed sounds SICK!!! lol. Also remember, as your battery drops off, your head speed is also going to go down slightly with voltage. I'm not sure where you got 22.5 though. A nominal voltage on a 6s pack is 22.2 with a max voltage of 25.2. Those are the two numbers that I would use to calculate head speed throughout a flight. ,

my bad.. I meant 22.2. Not sure what i was thinking.. I guess it will just be a matter of playing with different pinion gears until you find the sweet spot.. at least they are inexpensive..

as far as the slant main gear goes, am I correct in saying I don't need a slant gear for my application as they are used to increase head speed which would be more for 3D and not scale?

Top Bottom