General Airplane motor nitro vs electric

Adam

So i checked out a local flying club yesterday and most of the guys there were old school. All nitro engines. So the question is the way alot of these motors putting out more and more power i have been electric since the start in flying so what are the pros and cons. I see it costs more to be nitro.

Chris O'Hara

Thermal Padawan
If electric is your thing, stick with it man! I started with nitro, then got an electric setup and I started to not like the glow stuff as much (because they're dirty and don't always run the same) If you want to get into fuel powered stuff I would actually recommend a small gas setup, because they are reliable, stay tuned, are cheap to fuel, and the only batteries you have to keep charged are the ignition and rx packs. Electric power, though is nearly on par with gas in my opinion, I guess it depends on the plane and what you want. Electric power is more versatile, you can add a cell and prop down for more speed, prop up for slow flying, or any number of combinations to change flying characteristics.

Tony

Staff member
Electric is more reliable and after you get it setup, it's plug and play. Nitro can be a pain in the ass. If the humidity changes, you will have to retune the engine. There is a lot more to go wrong in a nitro, and in all honesty, I have no intentions of ever owning another nitro car, truck, heli or plane. They put out way too much oil and make a huge mess.

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
Overlooking the mess I love the smell of nitro and the soul the engine puts into the plane.

Plane gets messy .. Yes. Even my heli gets messy after 10-15 flights. Planes get messy every flight... But glass cleaner and a rag ... Itll keep running... Clean it at the end of the day... I love the revving of the motor.

If I had the money I would definitely go with a gas setup. Tons of power and the same noise and soul in the plane with a lot less mess.

But for now I am on nitro and love it!

Electric os great! Plug and play.. No mess ... It's true .... Has great power too. But for me it's like flying a quite plane... Soulless being. ;)

breeze400

Spagetti Pilot
I'll allways prefer fuel power over electric! The smell, noise, and responsiveness of them. I would however go with a gasser over nitro. Less run cost. More reliable. $4.00 a gal. verses $30.00 no brainer! Lol I just can't see flying a electric plain. After all I thought we were trying to be has realistic has posibull with out models! Now helis are a differant animal. Electrics are soo much more responsive than a gasser. All thought I would never rule out getting a gas heli, I would opt for a electric one over the gasser!

Tonester

Re: Fuel motor nitro vs Electric motor
------------------------------------

I asked my hobby shops what’s better gas vs. electric, they both said it depends on your preference. I look at it this way, gas sounds good and some may say smell's good...o.k...but electric can give similar sounds, has same air or production time, better on the environment and easier or the wallet.

Tonester

coolgabsi

Super Mod & DEAL KING!
"easier on wallet" NO!! Lol

Have you priced quality batteries esc and motors lately. Gasses are definitely cheaper on the wallet. And run gre
Breeze: radikal g20 broke the saying of less responsiveness of the gas helis ;) it's beautiful. I am in love with that heli. So wanna snag it. :). ;)

Tony

Staff member
Electrics are more responsive. You give it throttle, it speeds up. You give a nitro or gasser throttle, the fuel has to go from the carb into the Cyl and fire, there is a lag. Not much, but there is.

If at some time I decide to purchase another plane, it will be a 30cc Edge 540. Just for the power, sound and fun. If I'm looking for reliable however, I will always get electric.

Top Bottom