advice about idle-up from a rookie

taizi

this is something the experienced know about but i wanted to give a rookies view of what actually happens when you hit the f-mode switch, i now use it every flight with my V120D02s and 450 hybrid

first dont rush! to use idle-up but when you feel that you can control your heli reasonably well, make sure that your settings on the heli and the transmitter are correct and give f-mode a try, you will be amazed as i am how well the heli performs in the air, it makes the heli much more stable (which is obvious because of the increased head speed) but also it fills you with confidence because the heli reacts in a more positive way

so what to expect
despite what i thought before (basically because of a badly set-up esky cp3), the heli will not shoot up into the sky or instantly become hard to control, as long as your heli is set-up good the heli will rise up like it does normally but it will scream like a banshi this is fine so dont worry it wont explode, the controls will feel more crisp and direct, the only thing to remember is that when you input up or down the heli responds much faster especially when going down so you need to bear this in mind and just use very small throttle inputs

at present im starting from the ground because as ive learned from my 120 the throttle positions are different between idle and normal because of my curves and im not sure if a straight curve will be ok to use in f-mode

the settings i have at the moment (and someone please correct me if you know better) in normal i have a straight curve 0,-33,-67,50,+33,+67,+100 normal setting
idle 1 i have 90,90,90,50,90,90,90
idle 2 i have 100,100,90,50,90,100,100
i have 7 positions on my devo 8s TX and the pitch curves i have left as normal at present because of the ZYX gyro, i will change them slightly soon as long as the gyro doesnt get affected

im kicking myself now as to why i havent used f-mode before this, just hope this will help someone

murankar

Staff member
I have mine set at a flat throttle curve. My id1 is 80% across the board, id2 is 90% across. Less bogging with the right power system.

taizi

ok great i will give that a try thanks mate, when do you switch into f-mode, when its on the floor or in the air or does it matter

Derek

Some people will switch to Idle Up on the ground and some do it while in the air. I imagine its all personal preference. I'm just starting to work up the courage to flip that Idle Up switch, but I can assure you that for the first several flights, I will be on the ground when flipping the switch. Then maybe later on, as I progress, I'll flip the switch while in the air.

murankar

Staff member
I flip on the ground. My gyro does a good job of holding the tail. This may change as I get use to making the switch.

Tony

Staff member
If you drop the mid stick 5-10% compared to the 0 and 100% stick, it will create less bogging and it will not over spin, or spin the head too fast. It will also reduce the bogging as you will be applying power as you are increasing the pitch. Poor mans governor.

taizi

great advice guys thanks, i have noticed the bogging so i will trim the curves back, i gotta wait abit before i go outside again because of heavy snow but i can still fly with f-mode in the carpark and get some more practice in

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE

- - - Updated - - -

good luck Derek for when you do flip the switch, it is a great feeling when you do and everything goes right

Derek

great advice guys thanks, i have noticed the bogging so i will trim the curves back, i gotta wait abit before i go outside again because of heavy snow but i can still fly with f-mode in the carpark and get some more practice in

HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR EVERYONE

- - - Updated - - -

good luck Derek for when you do flip the switch, it is a great feeling when you do and everything goes right

Thanks alot, taizi!!!

Top Bottom