Advance setting for mcp-x

galaxyMAN

Well hello Rch and members im a coast to coast truck driver who's new to the rc world as of two weeks ago.. I went to look spent 5 hrs and $700 and was in love with my new blade 300 X went back this week and spent $300 more on MCP-X and accessories ......... crashed 300 yesterday crashed MCP-X today most fun ive had in years actually decades any advice tips of techniques is welcomed ............! Thank you in advance....... The galaxyMAN

Tony

Staff member
Welcome to the forum GM! No matter what the info, I'm sure you can find it here. All you have to do is ask.

As for some settings on the mcpx, read the thread that is linked below. There are a couple mods that can be done to the bird that will help it in how it flies. You never mentioned what Tx you were using, but the settings in the link below are made for the DX6i, but can be made to work with the 7/7s/8 as well.

:welcome1:

Lee

Welcome, and yes its an addiction for sure. You didn't mention a simulator. Have you bought one?

pvolcko

Welcome aboard!

Go slow. Trying to do too much, too fast gets expensive and has probably led to more people giving up the RC airplane and heli hobbies than anything else. In my opinion sims are borderline useless for hovering practice as they do not simulate ground effects and the nuances of hovering flight behavior, or the subtle cyclic and throttle control adjustments hovering requires, very well. However, a sim is very useful once you get out of hovering and into forward flight maneuvers, nose-in and quartering orientations, and other basics. And they're invaluable when you get to attempting aerobatics and 3D.

So says a guy one month or so into it. :)

Tony

Staff member
sims are borderline useless for hovering practice

I have to strongly disagree with this comment. RealFlight 6.5 replicates teh ground effect very well. Phoenix does not and neither does clearview, but RF6.5 again, is pretty accurate.

murankar

Staff member
Welcome to RCH! I use real flight basic and it does a decent job for hover practice. Only problem is that I only have a "basic" version. I would love to get rf full version.

pvolcko

I have to strongly disagree with this comment. RealFlight 6.5 replicates teh ground effect very well. Phoenix does not and neither does clearview, but RF6.5 again, is pretty accurate.

Interesting. Thanks for the correction. I use Phoenix and assumed that Realflight was similarly bad at that aspect of flight behavior. Wish I had known that when I was in the market or I might have gone with RF instead. How is it for other aspects of flight behavior vs Phoenix? My LHS pointed me in the direction of Phoenix knowing I was primarily interested in heli simulation and practice. Was I led astray?

Tony

Staff member
Check out my latest blog. It's comparing RF to Phoenix. Might shed some light on some things.

Lee

Every one seem to have a different opinion on these two sims. Phoenix is better, no RF is better. I haven't tried either yet and am looking forward to getting the chance soon. I just happened to listen this morning to a pro pilot talking about the two, having been a Phoenix guy, and now owning RF. He did say RF was good, but "HE" his opinion was that it took a lot more tuning to get the heli to feel realistic over phoenix. Each to there own i guess. I will continue using my Heli-X on my Mac in blissful ignorance of the qualities of the two leading Sim options :D

pvolcko

Check out my latest blog. It's comparing RF to Phoenix. Might shed some light on some things.

I've read the blog. Interesting stuff. You mention that phoenix doesn't have the heli's drift left (due to tail rotor). I have found that some heli models do and some don't. The mcpx, for instance, doesn't. But one of the larger ones, say the 450X, does. There are a lot of advanced model settings that can be tweaked which probably control this per model. I haven't delved into them too much except to add trainer gear (saves on the resets and makes some of the models easier to see at distance). Also, I find the modeling of the different flybarless controllers is decent too. The mcpx/npcx, for instance will not hold an attitude in real life, it will tend to fall back to neutral fairly quickly, almost as if it were a flybar stablized heli. Phoenix does the same on the model. However, on phoenix the 450x will hold the attitude you set and hold it for far far longer. I don't know if that is similar to real life or not, but it is what I would expect. I've found Phoenix does not simulate translational lift at all, no matter the model. Maybe I haven't stumbled onto a model with it enabled yet, maybe it is just not a feature of the sim. Does RF simulate it? Also, I concur, Phoenix does hold hover extremely unrealistically.

Top Bottom