Quad A warning for all of us.

Tony

Staff member
That is a horrific story and I couldn't imagine that happening to me or anyone that I know. I have always kept people back, except for those that know the hobby and the dangers who could always move back themselves. I always flew with my kids behind me. That way if something happened, linkage broke or something, I could get in front of it and protect them. But it is a very powerful image seeing that poor little guy.

Derek

I saw this, too. Absolutely horrible! I enjoy having my friends and family come with me when I fly my planes, heli's, and quads. My Dad has recently become an RC pilot with a Hobbyzone Delta Ray. However, there is always a flight line that is always 15-20 yards in front of the spectators. That flight line is where we stand. Then, we always fly in front of us and never over nor behind us. There is always a spotter. Now, this is certainly not a perfect setup but, thankfully, we've never had any mishaps nor near misses....crashes, yes, lol...but no personal injury nor property damage.

Stambo

I would love to know more of the story behind this terrible incident.
What type of aircraft, how experienced was the pilot, how well was that toddler being supervised etc.
I know the pilot must feel absolutely shattered but he has to bear most of the responsibility for this for the rest of his life.
Every time he sees this child he will be reminded of what he did.
It scares me a little how many people take risks like this.

Admiral

I would love to know more of the story behind this terrible incident.

According to the article a 250 FPV style 250 quad, experience Pilot, quad clipped a tree branch and spun out of control, no idea on level of supervision.

Pilot has not flown again since.

SIXFOOTER

Wow, thats terrible. You know, you see on youtube all the time folks gathered around to watch whoever fly and I always cringe. People just don't seem to understand the concept of the spinning razor blades of death.
I don't let anyone get around mine either, not in the least because I am a minimally experienced pilot

Stambo

I was always paranoid about having my son around my helicopters.
I just wouldn't fly them when he was around. (I don't fly them at all now.)
Even with my mini I am super careful.
That thing must have been running CF props, surely.
I have had the occasional nip from my HQ props and although it stings, they have not cut.
Although I guess my 56 year old hands are a bit tougher than a toddlers face.

Tasajara

That is very bad.... But as we all know these are not toys... They can cause damage. Always fly in an open area and never fly near or around ppl.
I hate it for the small child. It was not any fault of his... Parents have to know the dangers of being anywhere close to spinning props could be bad.
I hate that they were not aware of how much danger they put there child in by being that close to a flying Quad...

I myself Have had 17 stitches from a slow stick. I got to talking and turned my radio off before I disconnected my battery, and the problem was I had a spectrum modules in a Futaba radio..
The throttle is opposite on a futaba radio than a Spectrum radio so fail safe was Wide open Throttle were the Futaba would have been no throttle.
When my plane went WOT in front of me I grabbed the wing and then it turned and started cutting my right arm I grabbed the other wing and it hit my left arm .. By now I was pouring blood.
So i held on and un-plugged the battery

Always make sure you keep your mind on what you are doing when you have your model powered up..

oops 1.jpg

oops2.jpg

oops3.jpg

oops4.jpg

oops5.jpg

oops 1.jpg

oops2.jpg

oops3.jpg

oops4.jpg

oops5.jpg

Top Bottom