A Sad Day And Yet, Very Exciting, Too

Derek

How can this be? How can you have a sad day and be excited at the same time? I'll try to explain.

The sad part

Although I do, very much, enjoy flying my helicopters, I have decided to sell them. I've not flown any helicopter in 2017.....at all. I've grown a huge interest in FPV (quads and fixed wing). I just don't fly the helicopters...and there is good reason. I'm terrified of the cost for replacement or rebuild if I were to crash. I have already sold my Trex 450 Pro DFC to fun another project. I still have my Trex 500e (flybarred) and my Trex 600 Pro DFC. I also have an Assault 700 DFC Pro airframe that I never got around to building. There was a point in time that I was doing very well at flying them. My time on the simulator was displayed in my flights. I have had well over 100 flights on each helicopter and I've never had a crash. I've had a few hard landings and broke the landing gear, but that's it. I've never had to replace anything else. I consider myself lucky! But, like I said, I just don't fly them anymore. It's unfortunate...I've had a lot of fun with them...but my interest and excitement are very much in favor of flying FPV quads and fixed wings.

On to the exciting part

I love to scratch build, that's no secret. I like my inexpensive planes, even though some of them are rather big....the cost isn't very much. The actual "cost" is in the electronics. I have a plane in my garage, right now, that has about $200 worth of electronics on a $10 airframe, lol. In the event of a crash (as long as the electronics don't get broken), the repairs or replacements are cheap. I like that concept very much! That being said, I've decided to build a new plane based on this:

I find this plane to be very stunning and exciting. The designer of the plane does offer PDF plans, for $15. I've spoken with him several times about his plane and I just think this will be a great deal of fun. I already have most of the electronics for the plane. I'll have to get some esc's, pan and tilt mechanisms, and a few other things but I'm very much stoked about this build. I haven't decided if I will be doing a full balsa build, like he did. I'll be pondering that over the next few weeks.

So, there you have it. Sad and exciting. Life takes us on many turns....this was an unexpected turn, but it happens.

ChopDrifter

from what i've seen no matter what rc models you intend to fly, crash is inevitable. As the old saying goes "It's not if you'll crash, but WHEN"
I've seen so many pilots move on to the quads only to crash so many times. Then bam, out of the hobby. For me multi rotors are too boring and I plan to stay in the hobby for as long as I can.

Derek

Oh yes...without a doubt.....a crash is gonna happen. I just can't honestly admit that I'm prepared to see my 600 plow into the ground for whatever reason. I really enjoy flying the mini quads...freestyle and racing. Yes, I crash my quads but the repairs are much more affordable. I plan on staying with RC's as long as the wifey will let me. I'm just feeling that I'm prepared to put the helicopters to the side, for now, and continue on with my fixed wings and quads.

Top Bottom