A rare video of something that rarely flies good!

Derek

WOW! That's gotta make you feel good! My first collective pitch helicopter was a Blade SR. It was a POS from day 1. I never could get it to fly. Although, I didn't know as much then as I do now. Glad to see that someone got a Blade SR to work, lol.

Admiral

Well done Rodney, while I had some successful flights with my SR they were always hard work, could not get it to fly stable at all, tried a belt drive tail a bit better but no much.
Ended up giving up and selling it, had the same experience with the Twister Gold which ran the exact same head as the SR, often thought since I should have changed to the alloy head, but I had already wasted too much money at that stage.

D.O.G.

Goblin 380 Supporter
Excellent job flying their Rodney. Looks like you got it they way you want it to fly. I've heard those birds are a pain to get right. Seems like you got it. Thanks for sharing.

- - - Updated - - -

Excellent job flying their Rodney. Looks like you got it they way you want it to fly. I've heard those birds are a pain to get right. Seems like you got it. Thanks for sharing.

Must be garbage day! Lol

trainrider06

Yeah Derek, Keith, Ivan, these are not easy birds to mess with. Aside from parts failures, quirky gyro, and substandard esc's there is a lot that can go wrong with em with that weak tail motor they put on em. I got rid of the plastic seash plates on both, the other one has metal grips both have Hitech 65 servo's on em. If everything works, then the challenge is ESC pot, Gyro adjustments being tweaked very very little to get a good tail hold going.
Hehe yeah Ivan trash day! :wink:

Derek

I had my SR for about 4 months. I ended up just taking it out to the flying field....getting it to hover and then flipping to idle up....then whatever happens, happens, lol. I ended up doing that 3 times before I had a bad boom strike and tore the heli up. I took it home and stripped off the motor, esc, servo's, gyro, and Spektrum rx. I'm still using that same rx and gyro today. After trashing my SR, I bought my Align 500.....been flying pretty well since then, lol.

Nonetheless....it's cool to see that the Blade SR helicopters actually "do" fly, lol.

trainrider06

Believe me Derek, this was my first CP heli, and I knew nothing about the further advanced heli's like the CP's.
The first hover on my brand new SR resulted in pounding the heli nose first into the pavement. That heli was actually very stable right out of the box....till I dumb thumbed it into the ground! Got it put back together and promptly pounded it into the ground tail first the second time!
Then I read some very good article and this guys military like approach to learning CP heli's flights and behaviors. It was excellent! Following the disinclined instructions with humor mixed in, it took a lot of discipline and practice to do what he suggested. It really helped me learn to be precise and be disciplined in controlling the heli. Of course the tail motor gave out causing a crash lol. Just kept fixing it, and learning, trial and error setup's, and sticking with it. Luckily I would keep an eye out for poor guys pissed off and selling their SR's or parts left over, so I was able to fix it fairly cheap each time! They still will give me a fit sometimes, like one time I had one flying really well, put it away for a few days, and the next time it flew like crap! They are very tempormental for sure! Lol

Derek

...and there's the troublesome word..."tempermental". I cant afford to fly anything that is "tempermental", lol. Now, I am surely no "Pro Pilot", by any stretch of the imagination, but I am much more experienced now than I was when I had an SR. I would almost like to try to fly an SR but I just don't have a preference for helicopters that are smaller than the 450 size.

So, that all being said....keep posting flight videos of your "functional" Blade SR, lol.

trainrider06

thanks Derek, I also have the one that should have been the SR, the 230s.....believe me a far far cry from an SR, beautiful flying little heli. Over the years I have collected SR parts, and parts helis, and have a pretty good stock of parts to take care of any crashes.
i still crash em LOL either not being watchful or some component failure. Just not as much as I used to. I still enjoy them because I get lazy flying the 450's and the 500 especially because they are so much more stable and smooth, so I'll take one of the SR's sometimes (if the wind is fairly calm) and amp myself up flying it....LOL Because even when one is flying decent you gotta be ready for it, mainly the tail, because from time to time she'll come around on ya a bit outta the blue! LOL
But keeps me from getting lazy with the more solid helis.
I really blew one up I think it was last summer maybe the summer before, flying in idol 1 flying it around the front yard, made a circle, coming back around too low, she dipped on me all the sudden clipped some grass, next thing I knew I heard a buuurrrp!
All that was left was pieces, it completely blew apart! i mean the frame exploded ruined all three servos, blades of course, and everything else except the ESC and motor! Never seen one so completely destroyed like that LOL Bummed me because I had that one flying really well!
Hopefully I'll get some decent weather to actually fly something here soon, and if the wind it minimal (I won't fly them over 10mph winds) I'll get some flights and video at the field!

Last edited:
Top Bottom