Cases A new charger build

studio398

FWIW, i just got in an order from Buddy RC, and got some of their 10 and 12 AWG wire. it is also nice quality. thanks for the tip about the wire quality from PRC.

pat

murankar

Staff member
One end came pre tinned which can be good depending on your application. I got the 36 inch pre packaged vs the by the foot. Since I did not need that much it was the cheaper route.

As for ordering from PRC you can't go wrong, from what I have heard. Customer service is outstanding. I got a sticker, a piece of candy and a business card at no extra cost.

As for the other stuff it looks fairly standard. Nothing jumps out and says higher quality. If you never worked with E.C. connectors they package them the way they need to be assembled. At least they do for how I ordered them. I got one pack of females and one pack of males. Since I screwed mine up I now can fix them the correct way.

To me shrink tube is shrink tube. I am sure there are some differences in quality, I just don't know how to tell.

If this is an indication as to the quality I will definitely be ordering more from them. Yes its a bit pricy but its worth it in the end to me.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Forum Runner

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
I have put the battery bank on hold for something better. I dont want to say anything until I see if it will work. All I can say is I cant wait. Parts should be hear some time after march 1st.

murankar

Staff member
Made some progress today on the power supplies. Actually I got one ready and need to complete the second. I redid the solder connections on the ribbon cable with shrink tubing. THis will give some much need support to the fragile wires on the ribbon cable and provide insulation on the ends. I got a bullet style crimp on connector put on for the load sharing on both units. I put a male on one and a female on the other. Now I need some switches to turn the PSUs on and off and get another length of red and black wire plus some ends so I cant complete the second unit and join them together for the 24v system. I also picked up one binding post so I can now use the completed one with my current charger. Unfortunately its only a 50 watt charger so I will not get anymore out of this charger than what I get already.

When I order the last bit of stuff from PRC I will get the extra wire so I can complete the build.

murankar

Staff member
Switches are in route and 2 of the 3 pieces needed for the secret squirrel project are here. Tomorrow the last item needed will be here and then I will be re purchasing the lexan to get a better finish on the deck lid and to fix my layout holes.

THis weekend was an Army weekend for me. I asked a few questions and the answer I got sounds promising. The unit mybe turning in for destruction a couple pelican cases. I made a mention that I sure could use one if they are getting rid of them. Will see if this happens.

murankar

Staff member
Its done I just finished ordering the rest of the stuff for the charging case. Yes the PL6 is in the order along with the last bits needed to finish the case. Now I really can't wait for this package. I should have this by the time I go back to work on friday night and should have this installed waiting for the season.

murankar

Staff member
Here is the almost finished project. Ibam waiting for the charger along with some accessories to finish it up. I added an improvised MP3 player to it also. Its loud enough for the field.

ForumRunner_20150303_172756.jpg

ForumRunner_20150303_172815.jpg

ForumRunner_20150303_172824.jpg

ForumRunner_20150303_172756.jpg

ForumRunner_20150303_172815.jpg

ForumRunner_20150303_172824.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Finally I have something that will charge some batteries. I was up late last night trying to get it finished. I do his ever have to finish cutting out 2 more holes in the deck to complete the audio side of things.

Here is the final design and layout.

ForumRunner_20150313_132207.jpg

ForumRunner_20150313_132217.jpg

ForumRunner_20150313_132229.jpg

ForumRunner_20150313_132238.jpg

ForumRunner_20150313_132207.jpg

ForumRunner_20150313_132217.jpg

ForumRunner_20150313_132229.jpg

ForumRunner_20150313_132238.jpg

murankar

Staff member
Its all together with everything I need for the field or home charging. One of the blue switches has a bad light and needs replaced, thankfully I have one extra switch in the case I can use. I can assure you the switch is on. Bad thing is the switches have the wires soldered to the prongs. I switched all the EC3 connectors on my packs to the correct plastic housing but still need to fix the esc. The music you here is coming from the case and not me adding it in later.

I had a last minute theme change with the case being black and green. I decided to continue the theme with the lighting. Since I now have Pulse Ultras I thought I would continue with the color. Now I just need to finish the template of the Pulse logo. Not sure where to put the logo but it should help add to the uniqueness of the case or tool box which ever you like.

A good chunk of this case came from Progressive RC. My list includes PL6, charger board, EC3 connectors for the batteries and ESC, PC link for the PL6 and the 10AWG wire read and black. Everything else I got locally or through Amazon.

One last thing I added is padding for a metal tool box. Its a rubberized foam pad that I placed on the bottom of the box and I cut a piece to cover the PSUs. I did this just in case my amp touches the PSU. It shouldn't, I am being overly cautious on this.

Tony dont have a fit over the wiring like I know you will anyways. Its the best I could do at the moment. My wire lengths were for the other case and I will need to order more wire so I can have the correct length going to the PSUs. Those wires is what is limiting my wire routing at the moment. Good thing is the air flow is good and minimally obstructed.

https://youtu.be/2rski6Se3Ag

Last edited:

vimy

Hello Matt, excellent effort and a sound system as well. I like the idea of protecting the PL-6 from behind the top panel.

Can I please suggest some bracing around the periphery of the Lexan panel?

It looks like the weight of the speaker drivers are making it sag in the middle. It will also assist in keeping dirt from dropping in around the edges. A natural consequence of being in the field.

I apologise for preempting anything if you haven't quite finished it yet.

Good work, you can't go wrong with a PL-6 charger.

Can you please show us how you fixed the charger into the case?

Regards,

Gary

murankar

Staff member
The sag is caused by the pl6. I had to finger tighten the nuts tighter than I had wanted. That's whats causing the appearance of a sag. There is plenty of support given the size of the lexan. I probably could add one brace but it would need to be where the power supplies are.

As for mounting the pl6 that's not to difficult. I thought it was going to be. There are 4 tabs on the pl6 for connecting a second charger. The holes on the left worked out for the screws that I had. The holes on the right had to be opened up a bit by hand with a drill bit. The tab locations are off set on each side. The left is higher than the right. Which is why you see more thread on the left. A bit of cutting with a dremel will take care of that.

I swapped out the switches with a switch that had a good light. Now both light up when the psus are on.

As for the audio, it works just fine for field flying. The purpose is to not use the car radio while at the field. Many folks in the club I am joining have generators so power should not be much of an issue.

vimy

Hello Matt,

Well, it's been 3-4 weeks since your charging station has been up and running.

How have you found it so far? Happy with the way it is performing?

Did you get all those damn parts you ordered in the end?

Regards,

Gary

murankar

Staff member
Yeah I finally got all the parts. The Gaui is rebuilt and had a tip over. Broke the blades so I opened my last set.

I wanted to do one big post on what has happened.

As for the case I have yet to put a real load on it. I have done 4 packs at 3c and it took 45 minutes. That's what it took me to charge one pack on my thunder b6ac. I did take it to the field but we used the other guy's case. No biggy.

I would have made an attempt to fly today but I had a major anxiety issue and that took priority. Now we have a storm so I can't go out. No promises but I hope to get out and up by the weeks end. First I need to find work ( got pulled off assignment, got fired basically but since I am a temp my assignment was ended.) And start getting more mental help.

I need to be flying so I can push the crap stuff out of my head.

vimy

Yeah I finally got all the parts. The Gaui is rebuilt and had a tip over. Broke the blades so I opened my last set.

Not being a heli person, what causes a tip over? Can you stop it by putting extended landing gear on it?

As for the case I have yet to put a real load on it. I have done 4 packs at 3c and it took 45 minutes. That's what it took me to charge one pack on my thunder b6ac. I did take it to the field but we used the other guy's case. No biggy.

It's a sign of how much more power this new charger has.

I would have made an attempt to fly today but I had a major anxiety issue and that took priority. Now we have a storm so I can't go out. No promises but I hope to get out and up by the weeks end. First I need to find work ( got pulled off assignment, got fired basically but since I am a temp my assignment was ended.) And start getting more mental help.

I need to be flying so I can push the crap stuff out of my head.

Yes, Matt, you are allowed to enjoy yourself. Particularly if you are going through an upset.

You do what you need to do to put a smile on your face.

Last edited:

murankar

Staff member
If anything on here is spelled funny or does not make sence, my phones screen is cracked and it spell corrects very poorly.

Tip overs can because from a few things. Most common is vibration, the gyro "can't see" what level is and tries to compensate for it. In the act of correct the heli just tips over.

Charging is one of those things that the more money you throw at it the more flying you can do, just like packs; the more packs you have the more flying you can do.

My last charger is a 50w 5 amp max. This means that on a 3s pack the most I can get is something around 4.2 amps. This equates out to about 2c charge rate for one pack. My new charger is a 1000w at 45 amps. This means that on my 3s packs I can charge at 11amps a pieces. Of I charge all four at the same time then I can get up to 44amps at a 5c. I have charged at a 10 amp rate with all 4 packs . this gave me a 45 minute charge time with balance time. So if you want to fly more get a good charger and fewer packs. Last thing, this only works if you have a strong power source. I have 2 HP DPS 600pb power supplies. This nets me 1050w at 47 amps. I have plenty of power for what I need. This system will allow me to expand to a 6s power system with out much issue.

My mental stuff has been a roller coaster for almost 2 years now. I have a couple threads in the supporters section. If you don't have that link then all you need to do is support the forum, ie donations and TINY, I mean Tony will add you to that list.

Last edited:

vimy

Hello Matt

I'm assuming the vibration in the airframe is caused by the rotor blades (both main and tail), it couldn't be the motor itself.

Do you balance blades before you fix them to the rotor head and the tail?

http://www.rc-airplane-world.com/rotor-blade-balancing.html

This may fix the majority, if not all of your vibration problems and in turn, save on replacement blades.

Agreed, you need a strong charging station. It's never a waste to spend decent money on this.

I also suffer from ill health and expensive medication.

My interest in RC and electronics helps with mental stimulus. I hope to resume university study when I am well enough.

murankar

Staff member
Actually the motor does cause some vibes. No matter what you do you will have some vibes. All we can do is mitigate as much as possible.

Yes the blades are balanced on span and not cord. Cord is not that important for me. I am not a super proficient pilot that can tell an imbalance in cord. All of my cog stuff is almost dead on.

My issue with the tip over is the fact that the gyro was resting on the side frame. The frame had enough vibes to cause the gyro to flake out. At least that's my thoughts at this time. I have not been able to go out and prove it yet.

As for the motor you can balance the motor. Is it needed I don't think so. I have been running the motor for a number of years now and have not any issues what so ever. Scorpion makes a quality product. Not saying its perfect but one will have less issues.

murankar

Staff member
Yes thus hobby has kept me going no doubt. It allows me to focus on positives and helps keep the negatives out of my head. This forum has always been able to support me with kind words which has helped also.

I am hoping to get things under control soon. I want to enjoy life not be stressed out about life.

Top Bottom