Batteries 700 vs 1100Mah

I am building a glow powered Telemaster. I intend on using a 4.8v nicd battery for the receiver. My question is will an 1100Mah battery give me more flight time than a 700Mah or is there a problem with bumping up the Mah's?

Westy

LEGEND
It all comes down to power to weight ratio. Lipo will give you heaps more flight time compared to NiCd due to they pack heaps more Mah /KG into them.so you need to be careful not to get to the point where the machine is not just trying to cope with flying the extra weight around. So if your motor(s) have heaps of fat in them to allow for weight, then you can certainly increase your battery size, as long as your COG does not change.

Lee

At first i thought this thread was about a fight between a Trex 700 and a battery :D
Seriously though. More Mah will increase the "fuel tank" But the bigger the fuel tank, the more fuel is needed to move the vehicle. So theres a power to weight ratio here. What is your motor/prop thrust? How heavy is the planes All up weight? If the thrust is 1.5kg, and the plane weighs 1kg then you have 500g to play with.

My Telemaster has a 73-1/4 in. wingspan, 53-1/2 in. long, 848 sq. in. wing area, 88 oz. flying weight, 15 oz. per sq. ft. wing loading. It will be powered by an OS46 swinging an 11/6 prop. Plenty of power without being over powered. The servos are rated for 4.8 - 6 volts. Lipo batteries are 3.7 to 7.4 volts. The difference in weight between a Nicd 700mah and a Nicd 1100mah would be negligible.

Westy

LEGEND
oh ... are you simply referring to the Batt to power the Servos .... ah now I get ya! yeah go for it! you will have power to BURN with the OS46! - Go For it! you will get heaps of flights between RX batt re-charges.

I am running a 1900MAH Lipo on my Terx 600 and I can go for about 120- 160 mins of flight time between charges so that will be about 4 tanks of fuel (based on 20 mins per tank) - not sure how ling you fly on a tank though.

Tony

Staff member
Because the Telemaster doesn't need extremely fast servos, if you are going to run a 2s lipo, I would use a BEC to step that voltage down to about 5v. Your flight pack will last longer and you will still have great flight times. I'm sure you will be able to fly at least 4 full tanks before having to recharge.

Another option is to get a 2s LiFe pack. This is what most of us are running in our nitro heli's. It puts out 6.6v and is a direct connection to the Rx without much worry. However, I"m still thinking about running a BEC to drop that down to 6v stable.

And yes, 700 vs 1100, you will get more flight time with the 1100.

Top Bottom