600 600 heli batteries in series

Derek

Finally, I have a 600 sized heli on the way to me. I am super excited!!!

I'll have a pair of 6S 3700mah batteries to run in series. Can someone, with a 600 sized electric heli, share a video of how they have the batteries wired up? I understand the concept behind running batteries in series, I just don't know to how setup the batteries with a "clean" look.

Thanks!!

Derek

Thanks Tony! I thought about that, too. Do you think the wires would be long enough? I guess that just depends on where and how the esc is mounted on the heli. I guess I just need to wait til the heli gets here.

<sits in the corner, impatiently>

Tony

Staff member
I was just posting that as a suggestion. I would build my own. This one is made with cheap deans knockoff's. I would use real deans with 12awg wire.

Derek

I can do that. I imagine all I'd have to do is position the batteries on the heli, as if I were ready to fly, and stretch out some wire, 12ga of course, and just cut the wires to a length so that they would reach the esc without causing excessive bending.

I'll work on that when it gets here.

Tony

Staff member
Yup. From the ESC, run the black wire to the negative side of one battery, and the red ESC wire to the positive of the other battery. Then, run a wire from the positive of "one" battery to the negative of the "other" battery and you are all set. when you plug one battery in, nothing will happen. But, when you plug the second battery in, you had better be ready. The arch will make you pee yourself if you are not ready for it lmao. It should make your 500 look like a static shock that you get in winter lmao. 12s is even better hehe.

pvolcko

If you are going to run a BEC, make sure you make it tap off the first 6S battery in the series. So have it tap off the black where the ESC taps, and then tap the positive to the BEC off the positive of that battery (where the series connection to the next pack's black is). On my 700E I made the mistake of having my BEC tap the full 12S series combination, which means it puts out less current for the servos and electronics. I'm not running HV on it so it isn't a big deal, but even if not running HV it makes sense to run the BEC off 6S instead of 12S, since it is more efficient from that source voltage. Also, make sure to run the BEC off the first pack in the series (one with the negative connection to the ESC). If you tap it to the second in the series it will see 12V as it's common/ground and will end up frying things.

Derek

Thanks Tony! Thanks Paul!

Paul...would it be possible for you to make a quick little video to show me what you are talking about? I think I understand what you are saying but, in all honesty, visual aids work better for me. I surely don't want to fry anything and I just want to be clear on what you are describing. If you can't, I understand. You have your own personal life to contend with, too :)

Tony

Staff member
As long as you can get a BEC that can handle 26 volts, you can connect the BEC straight to the ESC to reduce any confusion. However, there is plenty of room on this helicopter to stick a small 2s pack in there to run as a Rx pack.

pvolcko

Tony, you can connect it right to the 12s series setup (51.6v, not 26 as you stated), as I did. I used a CC BEC Pro which is rated for it, but what I didn't know at the time is that the current delivery capability of that ESC is greatly reduced at that source voltage. 6S source is far preferable, both for higher current delivery capability and because it doesn't stress the switching supply in the BEC as much. There have been reports of CC BEC Pro's failing when used with a 12S source, even though they are rated for it. I suspect those setups were drawing at maximum current for the setup, resulting in over heating and eventual failure or at least thermal protection shutdown.

You can also look into getting a linear BEC instead of the switching type. They may do better as converting high voltage sources into high current/lower voltage outputs. But I think they cost more and are more bulky as a general rule.

Derek, does the picture EyeStation posted make it clear what I was talking about?

Derek

This was great help! Thanks guys! Yes, the picture makes sense! I appreciate it!

Two more days and my 600 should be here!!! YAY!!!

Top Bottom