General 450X Test Flight

trainrider06

Yeah learnt years ago about helical gearing in tech school.
Only disadvantage is they are noisy or can be than straight cut gears..
But I'd put up with a little more whine for the added benefit
Of more durability. During my scientific study (that's what I'll call it
so I don't look like an idiot...lol) when I did a nice tail in landing a couple months
back I ended up distroying tail case, boom, TT, forward TT gears, drive gear for TT,
Bent shaft, brand new Zeal blades....but that main gear which is helical held up! Lol!

Wow! Sounds like something really got you good, you might aught have a Dr take a look at that!

Heliman450

Hi all, heli is back together and checked over (three times!!) ready to go to the field tomorrow. Only Problem might be the weather. Thunder is rumbling around now and forecast is for summer to come to an end. I'll check it out and decide early whether to go or not. Fingers crossed!

Bye now,
Heliman450

trainrider06

What? One storm and it turns to winter over there? :)
I have seen pic's of it over there, looks beautiful, but have heard very short summers, if I could I'd send you
about 20-30 degrees of these 100+ degree days we are
locked into....Hope you can get some flights in!

- - - Updated - - -

What? One storm and it turns to winter over there? :)
I have seen pic's of it over there, looks beautiful, but have heard very short summers, if I could I'd send you
about 20-30 degrees of these 100+ degree days we are
locked into....Hope you can get some flights in!

murankar

Staff member
I'll give you our weather for tomorrow but Sunday is off limits. I have a funfly on Sunday that I am not missing. Lol

Tony

Staff member
Yeah learnt years ago about helical gearing in tech school.
Only disadvantage is they are noisy or can be than straight cut gears..
But I'd put up with a little more whine for the added benefit
Of more durability. During my scientific study (that's what I'll call it
so I don't look like an idiot...lol) when I did a nice tail in landing a couple months
back I ended up distroying tail case, boom, TT, forward TT gears, drive gear for TT,
Bent shaft, brand new Zeal blades....but that main gear which is helical held up! Lol!

Wow! Sounds like something really got you good, you might aught have a Dr take a look at that!

Actually, helical cut gears are quieter than straight cut gears. However, straight cut gears are stronger. Look at it in an automotive standpoint. In your car (if it's a manual trans) the gears are helical cut and the transmission is perfectly quiet but can only handle about 350HP. But, look at the 4 speed they put in NASCAR. These are straight cut, make a lot of noise, but can handle 1000HP+.

But, on these helicopters, the helical cut gears have MUCH LARGER teeth on them making them stronger than the smaller straight cut gears. And much easier to set your mesh as well. Unless you are like me looking for that perfect mesh lol. Then you still still be there forever.

trainrider06

Sissy NASCAR run straight tooth because....well they are sissys! Lol
It's actually a weight issue I believe, the helical gears are stronger, but in extreme cases hi torque, and racing applications it's the shafts and cases that will not be able to withstand the thrust pressures of the helical gearing, but yeah your right it's the helical gear that runs quieter. The racing applications use straight cut or spur gears for weight savings because the cases and shafts would have to be much heavier to withstand the stronger helical gears.
Least that's how I always understood it...:)
The old M-22 "Rock crusher" transmission was the tranny to have back in the day remember....it had helical gearing.
Although I think the teeth were not quite pitched the same as a true helical gear trams..

Heliman450

Hi again all, last time out I discovered a tail problem, which I was focusing on via the gyro section here and picked up some good stuff regarding my AR7200BX set-up. Whilst checking the heli out I discovered a slight bend in the tail boom. On stripping the boom out I found that the location and the viewing slots create a very weak point. It's probably there to take the knock of a light crash such as I experienced a little while back. The boom is replaced and my first test showed a drift that's not possible to eliminate with the gyro gain settings. So today is investigation day and I'm going through a further check and re-setting of the AR7200BX. Practice makes perfect as they say.

Bye for now,
Heliman450

Heliman450

It might be something off in the mechanical side, or maybe there is a binding under power???

Hi trainrider06 (et al), looks like you picked up one of my problems. During my investigations I discovered that the standard circular servo arm on my Blade 450X was binding. I decided to convert to a straight servo arm and in so doing needed to reverse the direction. This was due to the changed orientation of the servo. I made the change in the radio as per the instructions. However, Menu Point F of the AR7200BX also has this function. I experienced a rapid pirouette when carrying out my first test hover. After making the servo direction change in the AR7200BX and cancelling the radio this stopped the fault. In future, all my changes will only be in the AR7200BX.

I also reflected on my gyro problem mentioned below. I did some changes and tested out the results. My AR7200BX now takes its signal from the GEAR setting in the TRVL ADJ menu of my JRProPo DSX9. I have set the GYRO SENS to INH to remove it from the equation. The gyro modes toggle between Heading-Lock and Rate using the GEAR switch and the indicator lights follow the settings in TRVL ADJ. Noting here that the indicator lights change with a 7-8% range in the setting. Testing shows the expected reaction of tail wag with increased setting.

Hopefully nobody dropped off to sleep during the above :sleeping: :chuckles:
Heliman450

Heliman450

Hi trainrider06 (et al), looks like you picked up one of my problems. During my investigations I discovered that the standard circular servo arm on my Blade 450X was binding. I decided to convert to a straight servo arm and in so doing needed to reverse the direction. This was due to the changed orientation of the servo. I made the change in the radio as per the instructions. However, Menu Point F of the AR7200BX also has this function. I experienced a rapid pirouette when carrying out my first test hover. After making the servo direction change in the AR7200BX and cancelling the radio this stopped the fault. In future, all my changes will only be in the AR7200BX.

I also reflected on my gyro problem mentioned below. I did some changes and tested out the results. My AR7200BX now takes its signal from the GEAR setting in the TRVL ADJ menu of my JRProPo DSX9. I have set the GYRO SENS to INH to remove it from the equation. The gyro modes toggle between Heading-Lock and Rate using the GEAR switch and the indicator lights follow the settings in TRVL ADJ. Noting here that the indicator lights change with a 7-8% range in the setting. Testing shows the expected reaction of tail wag with increased setting.

Hopefully nobody dropped off to sleep during the above :sleeping: :chuckles:
Heliman450

Hi all, finally got to the field to do a full hover test of my setup (in Switzerland, I can't just test it anywhere). Everything is working fine and I got a couple of batteries worth of practice in and then returned to my latest project of resurrecting my Beam E4. I've fitted three new Savoex servos and another receiver, which fits better in the frame. Looks good at the moment and I'm looking forward to having two helis up and running at the same time so that I can continue flying when one needs a well-earned rest.
Bye for now.

trainrider06

Is there heavy restrictions on R/C flights around there?
Yeah my 500 tail issue is only this slight little wag that's intermittent. Have not been able
to really investigate it.

Heliman450

Hi all, latest update on my Blade 450X story......
I've been doing some further testing to the point where the training gear came off. A real milestone! She's been performing very well and I became bolder, a bit too bold :biggrin1:. You guessed, I had another crash, nothing too bad so far and all the parts were out of my parts box. Back to more simulator work for a little while I think.

Bye for now.

- - - Updated - - -

Is there heavy restrictions on R/C flights around there?
Yeah my 500 tail issue is only this slight little wag that's intermittent. Have not been able
to really investigate it.

Hi there Rodney, it's not that there are heavy restriction on R/C flights, it's everything is well controlled. For example, no noise on Sundays, drilling etc. Lots of people live in rented accommodation (about 80%) so noise interfering with others is a big issue. You can't just park your car anywhere, the list goes on. No problem, so long as everyone conforms to the rules and that's what makes it a good place to live as most do.

Bye

trainrider06

Hi Phil, sorry to hear of the mishap, what happened to cause it?? What were you doing with the heli at the time of flight?
Just remember 2 things when flying....
1. don't panic!
2. Don't over stick it! Maybe try this too it helped me, bump your stick in whatever direction you want to go....keep the tail toward you also...bump the stick say forward then bring it back to neutral...once going forward bump it backwards then back to neutral...just do that till your bored to death...then do it some more. once comfortable with that, try it side to side.
Orientations will be your biggest challenge...

Glad I could help with the sticky tail problem also... That tail must remain at all times slick as pig snot! When you disconnect the control rod and move the slider back and forth moving the tail grips it needs to be super effortless. Also do regular cleaning and lube to it. Take a Qtip, wipe off the old oil and buildup regularly off of the tail shaft...then take a good lube either for heli's or I have heard people using 3and1 oil...whatever you use...it just takes a dab on that shaft.....don't over oil it, because it can get so greasy that the oil can get over to those grub screws that hold your tail grips on the tail shaft and degrade the locktite there...allowing the blade grips to come off the shaft....ask me how I know....:wink:

Hmm that sorta living although I can see the benefits of it, would not work over here....we are some noisy SOB's lol...and owning our own place is also something desirable. It would be nice to have a day of no noise though....Is why I used to own a place in the country....so much more peaceful! :)

Be sure to let us know how the repairs went!
Rodney

Heliman450

Hi Phil, sorry to hear of the mishap, what happened to cause it?? What were you doing with the heli at the time of flight?
Just remember 2 things when flying....
1. don't panic!
2. Don't over stick it! Maybe try this too it helped me, bump your stick in whatever direction you want to go....keep the tail toward you also...bump the stick say forward then bring it back to neutral...once going forward bump it backwards then back to neutral...just do that till your bored to death...then do it some more. once comfortable with that, try it side to side.
Orientations will be your biggest challenge...

Glad I could help with the sticky tail problem also... That tail must remain at all times slick as pig snot! When you disconnect the control rod and move the slider back and forth moving the tail grips it needs to be super effortless. Also do regular cleaning and lube to it. Take a Qtip, wipe off the old oil and buildup regularly off of the tail shaft...then take a good lube either for heli's or I have heard people using 3and1 oil...whatever you use...it just takes a dab on that shaft.....don't over oil it, because it can get so greasy that the oil can get over to those grub screws that hold your tail grips on the tail shaft and degrade the locktite there...allowing the blade grips to come off the shaft....ask me how I know....:wink:

Hmm that sorta living although I can see the benefits of it, would not work over here....we are some noisy SOB's lol...and owning our own place is also something desirable. It would be nice to have a day of no noise though....Is why I used to own a place in the country....so much more peaceful! :)

Be sure to let us know how the repairs went!
Rodney

Hi Rodney, I think maybe I slipped on some of that pig stuff you mentioned :biggrin-new:! It was a perfect morning, 7a.m., grass at the field very wet but the sky was crystal clear and almost no wind. As I was hovering my heli moved off a bit far left and began to climb. Maybe I should have just hit throttle hold but there's plenty of room so I just said to myself "well I can bring it back on the simulator so why not here?" I got it about 75% around the circle but lost it on the last turn. Sure wouldn't have won any competitions but the crash wasn't very spectacular either!

I think my flying consisted mainly of what you describe in point 2 above but it was over so quickly there's no action replay. I'll have to take my good lady with me sometime to shoot some video but she's a night owl not an early bird.

The repair lasted about 30 minutes but there's a bit of vibration at low rpm so I'm also going to put in a new main shaft a there's a couple of spares in my box. Then another test to make sure all's sweet.

Bye for now.

trainrider06

Hey Phil, sorry to hear about the slip....hey we have all been there done that! One day it'll just click...it's crazy but one day you be flying and your hands will just react, and you'll be flying.....just don't think after that....fly it....:wink:

Heliman450

Hey Phil, sorry to hear about the slip....hey we have all been there done that! One day it'll just click...it's crazy but one day you be flying and your hands will just react, and you'll be flying.....just don't think after that....fly it....:wink:

Mornin' Rodney, thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm not giving up yet, still lots of time but I must find a better way to use it more effectively. My simulator doesn't really provide the best opportunity to benefit, I need more time with the real deal so must keep her in top form.

trainrider06

Mornin' Rodney, thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm not giving up yet, still lots of time but I must find a better way to use it more effectively. My simulator doesn't really provide the best opportunity to benefit, I need more time with the real deal so must keep her in top form.

Hey Phil, What helped me on the sim was repeat repeat repeat. I would act like I was at the field take off same way, usually lift off turn right, fly straight right, then pull up, swing the tail around, and come back the same way. I would practice this till I was so bored I couldn't stand it....then do it some more. Then I would practice different maneuvers. Doing the same pattern over and over. Then one day I went to the field, didn't think about what I was doing, just took off, turned right, and there she went! Granted I was shaking so bad I had to land after 3 mins flight time, but after that it got easier and easier!
Rodney

Heliman450

Hey Phil, What helped me on the sim was repeat repeat repeat. I would act like I was at the field take off same way, usually lift off turn right, fly straight right, then pull up, swing the tail around, and come back the same way. I would practice this till I was so bored I couldn't stand it....then do it some more. Then I would practice different maneuvers. Doing the same pattern over and over. Then one day I went to the field, didn't think about what I was doing, just took off, turned right, and there she went! Granted I was shaking so bad I had to land after 3 mins flight time, but after that it got easier and easier!
Rodney

Hi Rodney, worked on my Blade today, you guessed using my new setup table. I checked out the settings and shimmed the rear mounting on the skids to bring my main shaft into alignment. It was about two degrees tilted aft. Weather looking good for an early morning visit to the field tomorrow. I should be just about ok at 07:00, we're losing morning light quickly now.

Hopefully, I'll be able to transfer my progress on the simulator to the real thing. Main objective for tomorrow is no crash and precise hovering, let you know about it.

Hey, my thread just passed 1000 viewings. That's encouraging in itself!

Bye now.

Top Bottom